Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 09:32 AM

I go back & forth between steel & carbon frames and notice no drop off in performance (if you can call my riding that) or comfort. I have had AL, Ti, Steel, Carbon. And despite knowing otherwise, the AL & Ti, a Trek 2000 & Merlin 1st gen, felt sluggish compared to my steel frame. Kind of dead. So, yeah, your steel frame may just not be a very lively, responsive frame. It may be that steel doesn't work for you. I agree with others - don't force ride something you're not enjoying.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:18 PM

To the OP,
Having a Peg Marcelo, I seriously doubt that Bixxis is sluggish.
That said, one was custom to you and the other stock geo. Your fit is off or different than your legend. You mentioned that fit is secondary to pedaling technique? I think you are wrong. Fit is most important.

You need to set the Bixxis up identical (to the mm) to the legend. Then ride it for a few months. If your still not happy, then sell it.

I went through this with my Peg, I went from custom frames built for me to a stock Marcelo. I had to do quite a bit of tweaking to my fit and I tried 3 different stems with 3 different degrees. Finally I got my fit dialed and the Peg came alive underneath me. Like you I wasn't blow away at first, but the bike really came alive once my fit was dialed.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM
That guy..

should switch out to Dura Ace.
it'll be faster.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Riding Along

Perception is not reality.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Ride to eat.

this and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Saddle height, saddle setback behind BB, reach from saddle -> bars, saddle->bar drop, gotta check it all.
This and I might concentrate on the saddle->bar drop.
If you have the old measure measurements look at them.

Keep in mind you need to measure the difference of the 2 not whether they are the same.

If you measure from the floor and they are the same this can be misleading because the BB drop may be different.

i.e the saddle height from the BB may be the same but from the ground it may not be because of different bottom bracket height.

Hard to tell from the different angles of the picture but the carbon bike (if its the blue one) looks like it has more saddle->bar drop. which will change your aero position and may slow you on the downhill's.

As far as riding differently Carbon vs. Steel. I don't think its a material thing but a stiffness thing.

I ride a lot of steel but when I got my MX leader (known to be stiff). I noticed it seem like it took 3 hard pedal strokes to feel like I was gaining speed compared to other steel bikes.
Right or wrong I attributed it to the lean out of the saddle and I may have been pushing a bit left and right. When I concentrated and started pushing down and backwards I noticed the power transfer didn't take 3 pedal strokes.

So I guess I ride my bikes differently. With a less stiff bike I think this emphasizes the use of the pull up for the same effect. If your a masher the pull up may not matter as much on a stiff bike.

Plus don't worry about the time to close the gap. If it gets closed it gets closed. worry more about overall the energy spent from the time you spin back up to the group or the time you mash back up almost to the group with the coast time to get there.

Firm believer that not all bikes ride the same and that's part of the enjoyment.

BamBam
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo251 View Post
To the OP,
Having a Peg Marcelo, I seriously doubt that Bixxis is sluggish.
That said, one was custom to you and the other stock geo. Your fit is off or different than your legend. You mentioned that fit is secondary to pedaling technique? I think you are wrong. Fit is most important.

You need to set the Bixxis up identical (to the mm) to the legend. Then ride it for a few months. If your still not happy, then sell it.

I went through this with my Peg, I went from custom frames built for me to a stock Marcelo. I had to do quite a bit of tweaking to my fit and I tried 3 different stems with 3 different degrees. Finally I got my fit dialed and the Peg came alive underneath me. Like you I wasn't blow away at first, but the bike really came alive once my fit was dialed.
This would be my almost exact thoughts as well. That said, do you have the fit info from your Legend? Do you have the numbers to match the numbers?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:20 PM

What is the difference in weight between the two bikes?

What are the diameters of the HTs and DTs on them?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM

Just by looking at the first photo something looks off. The way your knee sits above your foot. Setback looks all wrong.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:55 PM

I think what Peter is trying to say is that ride in a steel frame is no different than riding any other kind of frame. A frame makes up only a part of an overall bikes weight. The difference between a quality steel frame and a quality carbon frame in terms of weight is fairly insignificant compared to the overall weight of the bike. What I have found is that a steel frame bike will weigh 1 to 1 1/2 pounds more, which is not insignificant but doesn’t account for what you are describing.

I set my best times on my custom steel bike that weighs 19.5 lbs. I had a 15.5 carbon bike (Sarto) that was incredible but no faster than my Anderson

What I have found by far is one of the biggest differences in both actual and perceived riding qualities are the tires. A high-quality supple tire will pick up speed faster roll longer than a lower quality tire.

Fit certainly plays in here but I certainly would not go by what others think by looking at pictures you post. Not unless the picture was requested by an experienced fitter and was taken in the angle and position (s) the fitter requested. Even then, no substitute for being fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing. And that is a completely different rabbit hole you can disappear into.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Just by looking at the first photo something looks off. The way your knee sits above your foot. Setback looks all wrong.
I agree!

And in the second picture, it’s easy to see your reach is all wrong.

Sigh
Old 12-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I agree!

And in the second picture, it’s easy to see your reach is all wrong.

Sigh
That's why I said his seat looked too high!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:10 PM
cmg

on small frame bikes reach is usually the hardest problem to overcome. Most small frames have a reach 170 and above with a sta of 74 or more. trying to find a frame that's less than 170 is real challenge or a slacker STA. you may need something less. Straight seatpost on the Bixxis? saddle in the middle of the rails or pushed past center? Can you let go of the bars on the Bixxis without falling forward, keep your balance?
Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0n3rider View Post
here is my previous frame.. legend HT7.5
Where are you located?

And, yes, the frame is too small. At least relative to the Legend.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:55 PM

guys.. many thanks for the responds and concerns.. really appreciate it

i do not have many photos of me riding.. to check with you guys whether my fit is ok or not.. so far i feel comfortable with my setting.. but i'm open for improvement

not sure whether you can see my riding position from this photo of riding legend.. nothing changed much the way i setup bixxis.. except less saddle setback

like i said previously.. i will give this frame anothe month or two.. hopefully it works .. if not.. i'm open to options

btw.. i'm from malaysia (hopefully you guys know where it is 😊)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3B703A3-AB68-4DDA-9F06-620FCE432335.jpg (149.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0n3rider View Post
guys.. many thanks for the responds and concerns.. really appreciate it

i do not have many photos of me riding.. to check with you guys whether my fit is ok or not.. so far i feel comfortable with my setting.. but i'm open for improvement

not sure whether you can see my riding position from this photo of riding legend.. nothing changed much the way i setup bixxis.. except less saddle setback

like i said previously.. i will give this frame anothe month or two.. hopefully it works .. if not.. i'm open to options

btw.. i'm from malaysia (hopefully you guys know where it is 😊)
Changing your setback can have serious effects on comfort and performance.