Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2024, 09:16 AM

I wanted one, the best reason of all.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:56 AM

I’m with Mark D (and Snobby) 110% on this. The general public follows the advertisement and the domain’s perceived elite’s advice. The industry worships the place where the two converge most profitably - and here, it’s the laterally stiff vertically compliant aerodynamic crabon fribe biek with internal hydro routing and proprietary parts.

Last edited by Pastashop; 02-04-2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:09 AM

Didn’t read and don’t care about the article but if you want peak Bikesnobnyc you should search for his review of the Look 566. This was one of the most brilliant takedowns of road bike marketing I’ve ever read. After that, I’m certain no other bike brand offered him demos to review. Great read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2024, 11:24 AM

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009...-566-road.html
Old 02-04-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davison View Post
I have had two experiences that have shaped my views ...

Everyone else would be better served with a metal frame.
In other words, since metal frames work best for you and your circumstances, you think everyone else would also be better served by metal frames. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:31 AM

I have 4 carbon bikes and one titanium bike. The titanium is my favorite. Gives me the ride feedback I love. I've always had a titanium bike or two in the stable. I tend to hang on to them for about 10 years.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:35 AM
Vendor

Just want to add...

The idea that the collective 'you' doesn't race bikes is wrong. On my Sunday group rides, we race to complete the route in the fastest time possible (while being safe and not dropping anyone). There are several other local rides that do the same, although some are a little more flexible on the safety and drop policies. Many people don't race professionally, but still do unofficial local races at least once a week. Many people race themselves. A lot of people don't 'race' but want to keep up with the Super Fast Group, and a faster bike helps them do that.

The linked article is myopic. The author paints cycling culture as he wants to see it for purposes of writing his article.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Just want to add...

The idea that the collective 'you' doesn't race bikes is wrong. On my Sunday group rides, we race to complete the route in the fastest time possible (while being safe and not dropping anyone). There are several other local rides that do the same, although some are a little more flexible on the safety and drop policies. Many people don't race professionally, but still do unofficial local races at least once a week. Many people race themselves. A lot of people don't 'race' but want to keep up with the Super Fast Group, and a faster bike helps them do that.

The linked article is myopic. The author paints cycling culture as he wants to see it for purposes of writing his article.
agreed I pin on a number a couple times a year but most of the "racing" is the local group ride stuff which is really more fun.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Just want to add...

I dunno… you wanna run the numbers in % of people buying carbon bikes that do any kind of racing?.. He’s arguing that for the vast majority of folks purchasing bikes, their needs are better served by a steel bike. That’s all.

EDIT: Actually, I’d go further. I’d say that steel bikes’ versatility would enable greater ridership. That in turn gets more people on bikes out actually biking. Which in turn makes drivers and infrastructure more aware of and safer for all cyclists. Including the carbon freds.

Last edited by Pastashop; 02-04-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:47 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Not anymore @ 66. But in my late 30s to mid 40s most of the folks I rode with could have done well racing, some went that way.
Stiffness and light weight were certainly helpful for the guys always at the front. Which I was one for a decade minimum. Did that make any positive aspect for me @ 66? My ego and vanity say yes.

But admittedly some of the most fun was the Tues SS rocket ride night on old steel frames. 25 mile jamb fests. Never paid attention how mush slower we were on Tues.

I can say my flat 28 mile FTP loop I am no slower on my 1985 SLX Nago than EP Nago. But my slow threashold VS early 40s, never mind.

For how I ride anymore the article holds true. But I am not selling off my EP anytime soon..

Quote:
Just want to add...

But what the article didn't say: If you want something and can afford it, you deserve to treat yourself to it.

Last edited by robt57; 02-04-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm aware that the author rides bikes, but...

That piece, like so many examples of internet journalism, seems like it is written not by someone who actually rides bikes, but by someone who reads what other people (who may or may not ride bikes) think about riding bikes, and then regurgitates the 'observations' (or fabrications) that he has read in his own unique mess of word vomit.

Similar to internet intellectuals of every variety who don't know how to think, have little to no first-hand experience of their own in the fields that they write about, but read the thoughts of others (who may or may not know how to think or themselves have any meaningful first hand experience in their chosen field of expertise of the moment) and 'react', 'comment', plagiarize, regurgitate, or crap out some new configuration of stale old ideas as if they were a fresh 'hot take' of their own.

Remember when people knew how to write? Remember when 'click-bait' wasn't a word?
Spicy! I like it!
Old 02-04-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Actually, I’d go further. I’d say that steel bikes’ versatility would enable greater ridership. That in turn gets more people on bikes out actually biking. Which in turn makes drivers and infrastructure more aware of and safer for all cyclists. Including the carbon freds.
This is beyond ludicrous. Steel bikes lead to more courteous and safer drivers!
Old 02-04-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
In other words, since metal frames work best for you and your circumstances, you think everyone else would also be better served by metal frames. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.
Bucket list ride: carbon tandem bike ride up Mt. Evans with tomato coupe.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Just want to add...

Adding to this: there are those of us that love solo riding for the purposes of challenging oneself, for fitness, besting times, and betterment of the craft of handling. I don't have the time nor lack of responsibility to commit what's required to audax/touring style rides and that puts me into the majority of riders. Why in the hell would I be pushing myself on a bike purpose built for touring? Riding Tam or Mt. Hamilton on a Trek 520... no thanks.

FTA:
Quote:
And if you’re one of those people who worries about steel bikes and rust, you can relax, because in order for rust to destroy your bike you’d pretty much have to store it at the bottom of the sea.
This is utter bunk and speaks more to the lack of experience this author has. I've lived on the west coast for 10 years now and salt air absolutely gets into steel frames and eats them alive. By contrast, CFRP is stable in these conditions and easily repaired.
Old 02-04-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Adding to this: there are those of us that love solo riding for the purposes of challenging oneself, for fitness, besting times, and betterment of the craft of handling. I don't have the time nor lack of responsibility to commit what's required to audax/touring style rides and that puts me into the majority of riders. Why in the hell would I be pushing myself on a bike purpose built for touring? Riding Tam or Mt. Hamilton on a Trek 520... no thanks.

FTA:

This is utter bunk and speaks more to the lack of experience this author has. I've lived on the west coast for 10 years now and salt air absolutely gets into steel frames and eats them alive. By contrast, CFRP is stable in these conditions and easily repaired.
Well, I really have to push back on this one. Thirty years and counting in the Bay Area (SF/Oakland) and the ONLY steel frame I owned with rust issues was, ironically enough, a STAINLESS frame (Cinelli XCr) I purchased from Florida where the extreme humidity did the damage. The seller reimbursed me for the damage, so all good. But, point being, I’d much rather own a steel steed in the Bay Area than in the humid Southeast.