Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Devil is in the details, angles and standards. Those things are always a little off

Last edited by BryanE; 02-22-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Wrong place, oops
Old 02-22-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
ahem

What's with the desire to bury a master craftsman? The guy designed tubesets that are still considered too expensive for anyone in the industry to mass produce. If he just started doing that, again all over again, whoever welds them together will be working with some industry leading materials. Not exactly the baitandswitch you are implying.

Having the most technical carbon layups in the biz might just require Taiwan...

I remain excited as always, and super grateful that there is a bike biz and a Ben Serotta. More bikes please.
This^^^^^^^^^!
Old 02-22-2020, 08:05 AM

“regional "teams" each bringing together a matrix of options........”

After reading I had visions of sitting in a mahogany paneled fitting room with fine Italian marble being served Pierrier by a dapper English butler while being measured by an array of sophisticated body sensors while simultaneously having my feet attended to by a podiatrist.

Sounds like these will be tailored to a very elite market, a market that I’m afraid I don’t quite fit in! But with that said I bet these bikes will be at the pinnacle of a frame makers craft and I wish him tremendous success. Hopefully not only will he be successful but will have an impact on the rest of the industry and push frame making in new directions as he did before.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:50 PM

The Buddhist tradition of rebirth, known more commonly as reincarnation, holds close the notion that life operates in a continuous, unending cycle. Some schools of study within the religion believe the application of karma across lives can funnel one from one positive realm of existence to another.

Only time will tell us what this latest rebirth of Serotta bicycles will become.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:41 PM

Well, he's gonna need a website. And it wouldn't hurt if it had a forum.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs View Post
Well, he's gonna need a website. And it wouldn't hurt if it had a forum.
Post of the day!!!!!
Old 02-22-2020, 08:59 PM

I don't fear them, but every MotoBacon from bikesdirect I have ever seen has been a steaming pile of excrement. Details are important, and those things are always off, usually driven by price. I'm sure the factory is way more capable than the person spec-ing the build from florida with 26.8 seatposts and weird angles. If you buy one with parts it's even worse. Pretty sure the guy in Taiwan is laughing...and cashing the check

Whatever Ben builds will be well worth the $, if you have it to spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Ora Engineering in Taiwan builds them. Believe they build Ritchey frames also. No one knows more about building Ti frames. Don't fear Hi end Taiwan frames.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerherzogsid View Post
The Buddhist tradition of rebirth, known more commonly as reincarnation, holds close the notion that life operates in a continuous, unending cycle. Some schools of study within the religion believe the application of karma across lives can funnel one from one positive realm of existence to another.

Only time will tell us what this latest rebirth of Serotta bicycles will become.
or
Quote:
Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity
Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 AM

A "market research" question - how many Paceline Forum members currently own a Serotta or have owned a Serotta and, after Ben Serotta's full market launch, would buy one of his new rigs at current market pricing?

Bought new from Adventure Cycles in Merritt Island FL, I own a 1998 Legend Ti stock 53 cm frame and recently installed my third Shimano groupset. Hard to estimate the miles on the frame, but it's ridden often. The frame is unpainted, original decals except for on the head tube, fits like a glove and rides great. I did replace the original fork (still have) with a 1-inch full carbon Columbus fork. That bike will always be the "n" in the stable along with my 2000 C40.

Anyone care to estimate the number of Serottas we own?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:58 AM

Bought a ‘95 CSI and ‘98 CRT from a great shop, Bicycle Specialties in Downers Grove.
Replaced with an Ottrott ST in ‘04, which was crunched in an altercation with a Mazda 626 in ‘07. Replaced with same.
Carbon HSG built from NOS eBay frameset in ‘11.
Steel Colorado built from frameset purchased here in ‘15.
Total of six.
All Campy equipped. All much cheaper than chasing automobile dreams.
Would seriously consider new Serotta but have personal issues with Taiwanese sourcing, especially at his price point. US tubes, carbon, and labor - he’d have gotten me.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Serotta Bike Fit Technician

Tubes

The tubes are being fabricated to Serotta’s specifications in Taiwan. The bikes will be welded/built in the states. It is a simple matter of finding a vendor that can make the sophisticated tubing in the volume required.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_davis View Post
A "market research" question - how many Paceline Forum members currently own a Serotta or have owned a Serotta and, after Ben Serotta's full market launch, would buy one of his new rigs at current market pricing?
Here is the KGSN Ottrott that brought me to this nut house. Fantastic ride. I met Ben at Sea Otter when he did the Ford bike and the "wood-painted" bike and the Meivici AE. I would NOT buy another Serotta. Very happy with my current road bikes. Plenty of choices for other incarnations. His name does not hold a premium for me.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:05 PM

What’s FTW up to these days? He’s based out of Vermont, maybe a couple of hours away. I don’t know if he’s still involved with Spooky but he may have the ability to push through some small batch production runs.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:48 PM

All purchased new/only one owner-me, all w/original forks, drop outs, ect...

Colorado CRL
Fondo
Pronto
Ottrott SE

I would consider another Serotta, one w/wider wheel potential, disk brakes/thru axle, Ti or Ti/Carbon. Not sure why I"m typing this, but my next bike will more than likely be my last. If I were to go w/a Serotta, it would have to pretty darn sweet.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:09 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I had one. No interest in a new one from what I'm hearing. I don"t need a multi-level support team to get me on a bike or to maintain it, and those services costs are going to have to be baked into the cost. As to "the best tubes, best bike" argument - I'm past believing that at today's level of sophistication in materials that some new magic layup or swagging is going to create an incremental improvement, whatever that is, considering all that goes into today's "premium" bikes. And in any event, too many interesting small builders that have more appeal to me, but that's just me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk