Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 AM

I have a set of these. Like them better than my Enve’s. Made in Montreal. A technology that is fantastic and I was told by the carbon master who crafted my bike that he highly approved of their method. And it isn’t as far as Australia and unlike the FSE’s, Caden’s, Etc etc are NOT just rebadged Asian stuff but actually designed and built by the guys in Montreal.... https://www.falconcomposites.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2020, 09:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
I have a set of these. Like them better than my Enve’s. Made in Montreal. A technology that is fantastic and I was told by the carbon master who crafted my bike that he highly approved of their method. And it isn’t as far as Australia and unlike the FSE’s, Caden’s, Etc etc are NOT just rebadged Asian stuff but actually designed and built by the guys in Montreal.... https://www.falconcomposites.com

Yup, BUT probably private label hubs made in Asia and more than twice the $ of Caden..($2600cdn 'normally', now discounted, $2000CDN..$2600USD)..NOT saying these aren't great but back to the OP, yes, many wheelsets and a variety of $ and quality...
Old 02-23-2020, 09:49 AM

Do these carbon rims from Caden and Falconcomposites have a textured brake track? After riding carbon with and without I would never go back to not having a textured brake track, never!

Last edited by Tony; 02-23-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:54 AM

My Light Bicycle 46mm deep carbon clinchers came in at 1435 grams for the pair. Excellent wheels especially for $650
Old 02-23-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, BUT probably private label hubs made in Asia and more than twice the $ of Caden..($2600cdn 'normally', now discounted, $2000CDN..$2600USD)..NOT saying these aren't great but back to the OP, yes, many wheelsets and a variety of $ and quality...

True on pricing part...I had missed that in OP...And I had them build mine with DT hubs since I like all of my wheels to have the same hubs.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I just switched to latex myself. You do have to pump latex tubes up every day, but it’s something I think a lot of us can learn. The Vittorias don’t leak as much air as the others, I hear.

The main reason I switched was the lower rolling resistance, not so much the weight.

I don´t get why tubulars are described as labour intensive but pumping up tires everyday is considered something i could get used to.
The same w/ tubeless.. I understand tubeless is a great idea in cactus land otoh a wheel you have to fight against when installing a tire?
Carbon wheels is the next level and very expensive... but you can have an equally stiff wheel w/ a better more reliable brake track at 100grs more for both wheels if aluminium. Ok.. 200 grs more but safer when riding mountains.
Wheels are crazy.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
My Light Bicycle 46mm deep carbon clinchers came in at 1435 grams for the pair. Excellent wheels especially for $650
You could have wheels w/ aluminium rims at this weight and price. As stiff, same weight, better braking and much safer than carbon clinchers.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
You could have wheels w/ aluminium rims at this weight and price. As stiff, same weight, better braking and much safer than carbon clinchers.
What? 46mm deep aluminum rims at 1435 grams? Don't think so.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 AM

Same stiffness? Don’t think so.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm curious - have you weighed those wheels? One of the things I like about Competitive Cyclist is they often publish Claimed Weight and Actual Weight.
At the link below, you can see the Ultra's Claimed Weight at 1,360g and Actual at 1,720g.
OP talks about being surprised when the wheels show up - I'd be pretty surprised if a >$3K wheelset weighed 360g more than advertised.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...NDYXQxMDAwNzE=
I would never go by the claimed and actual weight on the comp cyclist site. While they might weigh items in house they often weight them in a haphazard manner, or even just neglect to mention that they also had accessories on while weighing.

Case in point - the Force 22 and Red BB386 cranksets are exactly the same, but they somehow have a 40g or 6% weight difference in similar length and chainring combos. I've personally weighted both and can confirm they are the exact same.

Just an FYI, over the WW the weights are usually right around spec for the bora 35s
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=144199

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
But they won't be all black, and everyone knows that's the most important factor of any wheel!

Honestly though, the only real factor for deep carbon rim brake clinchers is if you are trying to get deeper section thus stiffer and slightly more aero rims. Otherwise sticking with alloy is the way to go simply because of the better braking. The best textured carbon brake tracks are still only adequate in stopping power.

For the OP, at such a light weight deeper carbon is not the best for everyday riding since they'll be very tough in crosswinds. So stick with normal (20-30mm) depth, get the best possible hubs for the budget and use nice double butted or bladed spokes paired with a quality rim. And don't worry about total weight as the end all be all - quality rim, spokes and builds are twice as noticeable as gram savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
Same stiffness? Don’t think so.
Still the stiffest wheels I've ever been on were a 1390g build with tune hubs, pillar spokes and an Easton R90SL alloy rim. They beat the pants off a set of Enve 4.5AR disc.

Last edited by yinzerniner; 02-23-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Do these carbon rims from Caden and Falconcomposites have a textured brake track? After riding carbon with and without I would never go back to not having a textured brake track, never!
The Caden wheels I have do not have a textured brake track, BUT they stop way better than the ENVE wheels I had with a textured brake track.

If you do a bit of reading not all textured brake tracks are impressive and some smooth brake tracks wheels work really well.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM

All disc, don't see rim brake versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post

Old 02-23-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm curious - have you weighed those wheels? One of the things I like about Competitive Cyclist is they often publish Claimed Weight and Actual Weight.

At the link below, you can see the Ultra's Claimed Weight at 1,360g and Actual at 1,720g.

OP talks about being surprised when the wheels show up - I'd be pretty surprised if a >$3K wheelset weighed 360g more than advertised.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...NDYXQxMDAwNzE=

Yes, I have both. The bora Ultras were off about 20g and the Ones were off about 15g.

I don’t know what CC is weighing to get those numbers. They are absolutely incorrect. Even with skewers that is off by a lot. I have not seen campy wheel weights off by more than a few percent.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Uh, not sure what you used to convert to USD there, OP. Canadian dollar is worth about 75 cents US. So those wheels would cost about $1500 USD. Good time to go on a mini-vacation up north...
Old 02-23-2020, 10:52 AM

Appreciate the correction, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Yes, I have both. The bora Ultras were off about 20g and the Ones were off about 15g.

I don’t know what CC is weighing to get those numbers. They are absolutely incorrect. Even with skewers that is off by a lot. I have not seen campy wheel weights off by more than a few percent.