Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post
Not sure which cassette you've taken apart (your own SR cassette or your friend's cassette). Regardless, your picture shows four F (ie, 2.2mm) spacers but no G (ie, 2.3mm) spacer. Sometimes the single G spacer remains attached to the outboard side of the smaller triplet. You'll need a total of five spacers, including one G spacer, to correctly assemble an SR, Record or Chorus 11-speed cassette.

Is this the one you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Worst case: the difference between a 2.2 and a 2.3 mm spacer is the width of a hair.
Hence the often heard complaint when shifting is off by a hair.

Last edited by merckx; 02-23-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 AM

Is this cassette worn??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This is a good question. According to the 2020 catalog, there are only 3 sizes of 12spd cassettes (11-29, 11-32, 11-34)*. The largest 6 sprockets are in 2 3-sprocket steel monoblocs. The weights for the Chorus version is given as 310g vs. 266g for the Record/Super Record version. The Spare Parts catalog gives the same part numbers for the 6 smallest sprockets for all models, but the Chorus model has different part numbers than the Record/Super Record for the 6 largest sprockets. Maybe the Record/Super Record version has more material machined away for the steel monoblocs?

*There were at least 7 different sizes of 10spd and 11spd cassettes. Despite having more sprockets, the 12spd cassettes have as large or larger size jumps between sprockets than most 11spd cassette.

Could the R and SR use a lighter steel in the largest 6 sprockets? That’s a pretty big difference in weight been Chorus and SR when they’re both steel. I can’t imagine they can machine off over 40g in metal in the sprockets.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Could the R and SR use a lighter steel in the largest 6 sprockets? That’s a pretty big difference in weight been Chorus and SR when they’re both steel. I can’t imagine they can machine off over 40g in metal in the sprockets.
I think by changing the spider/carrier that the cogs are on..Haven't had one in my hand tho..

Interesting that for 12s, no 'Record' cogset..just SR/Record and Chorus. I think Campag is smart to ditch titanium cogs..Ti just makes a less durable cogset WAY more expensive for a wee bit of weight..
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
less durable x WAY more expensive for a wee bit of weight..
thats how i feel about carbon frames too
Old 02-23-2020, 03:37 PM

So i think its settled. I just need a new cassette. with the replacement, everything is mostly fine.

I say mostly because while in the middle of the cassette, on one specific cog, there is a noise from the rear der of the chain being misaligned on the top jockey wheel. Its kind of like a "thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk" every 5 or so chain links. a slight pull of the der cable(slightly more tension), makes this go away.

Does campy 11 require more cable tension than 10 spd?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
So i think its settled. I just need a new cassette. with the replacement, everything is mostly fine.

Does campy 11 require more cable tension than 10 spd?
Regardless of 10,11,12 speed they all require whatever tension is required to optimize the RD position. I've noticed clear back in the days of 8 speed that there's a tendency to occasionally hear more noise when the chain angle is the straightest.

Try a few clicks more or less tension and give a new chain a few rides to break in.

Of course the proper RD hanger alignment is always a must.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Is this the one you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that's a G spacer attached to the smaller triplet. It is removable but note it's also in the correct position in your photo.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:03 PM

I checked two of my campy 11 speed chorus cassettes and they only have 2.2mm spacers, never seen a 2.3mm spacer...weird
Old 02-24-2020, 01:05 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulp View Post
I checked two of my campy 11 speed chorus cassettes and they only have 2.2mm spacers, never seen a 2.3mm spacer...weird

What's .1mm among 3-4 friends... err... cogs...

I use 11s shimano wheels as much as campy wheels on my 11s Campy bikes, .1mm? Keep the upper RD pulley clean an floating at max and go ride I say.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I use 11s shimano wheels as much as campy wheels on my 11s Campy bikes, .1mm? Keep the upper RD pulley clean an floating at max and go ride I say.
What do you mean by floating at max?
Old 02-24-2020, 02:03 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
In some indexed systems the top pulley would have some lateral float to allow for some discrepancies in pulley cog alignment.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:05 PM

Shimano and Campagnolo derailleurs use what is called a "floating top pulley". The top pulley axis isn't fixed rigidly to the derailleur cage, but is allowed to "float" laterally a fraction of a millimeter or so. This allows the top pulley a small window to "self-align" with the sprockets, to prevent chattering and noise in cases of a small lateral alignment errors between sprocket and derailleur.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:06 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:

More crud, less float. Float built into system for pulley cog alignment +/- more than .1mm or even .1mm x 3-4 across a few cogs.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
More crud, less float. Float built into system for pulley cog alignment +/- more than .1mm or even .1mm x 3-4 across a few cogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
In some indexed systems the top pulley would have some lateral float to allow for some discrepancies in pulley cog alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Shimano and Campagnolo derailleurs use what is called a "floating top pulley". The top pulley axis isn't fixed rigidly to the derailleur cage, but is allowed to "float" laterally a fraction of a millimeter or so. This allows the top pulley a small window to "self-align" with the sprockets, to prevent chattering and noise in cases of a small lateral alignment errors between sprocket and derailleur.
interesting. i DID take my pulleys off for a good cleaning. I wonder if i torqued it too much. Will need to check on that shortly.