Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 01:37 PM

Starting Zwift today, and PL advice is welcome

Paceliners,

I got hit by a car on my moto in October and I have been laid up since. I got cleared to ride an exercise bike 3 weeks ago and have been riding one of those weird recumbent exercise bikes ever since. I put I about 130 miles over 3 weeks...not amazing numbers but it makes me feel great.

I live in Los Angeles so, the recent zwift trend always interested me but there was never really a use for it here in 72 and sunny. I have my excuse now! I just received an Elite Suito smart trainer in Friday and finally got it set up today. I’m going to play around with it this week and starting in March I think I will start a 3 month “base” training program which should bleed into me being able to ride outside again. I’m riding my old steel hard tail while I build up the bike that was delivered 2 days after the collision. It’s an early 2000’s XC frame, which is long and low...I hope the more upright geometry doesn’t ruin me. For now I have a very specific focus on the left leg. I have been making sure that I can do regular cadence with the left leg driving and if I try to push for more power, I make sure that the broken leg is setting the power level. It is all too easy to just let the dominant, non-broken leg set the pace and let the broken leg follow so I am trying to avoid that bad habit.

It’s cool to have power and cadence stats. It is clear that I need a fan. Also, my iPad seems like a small screen, but I don’t know if I want to pop for an Apple TV just to see a bigger picture...what else am I missing? any tips or advice you guys have would be great. If you were starting zwift all over again, is there anything you wish you knew?

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by IJWS; 02-23-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:05 PM

I’d spring for the Apple TV 4K, it makes a huge difference in terms of immersion. The Elite puts both speed and cadence into one (of two available) Bluetooth connections so you can use any HRM that transmits using BLE and you’re set.

Ride wherever you’d like, there are plenty of neat spots though I’d recommend some of the more level routes as you begin in order to prevent unexpected stress on your body. Probably spending time in the Watopia desert would be good to help you familiarize yourself with the free ride environment and running some ERG-mode Zone 2/aerobic endurance workouts will let you get in steady efforts. The first few weeks of the 12 week FTP builder plan will have those available and you can do them any time as individual workouts without committing to a fully structured extended training plan.

Also if you’re concerned about your riding position I would buy some super cheap stems on eBay and use them to adjust yourself downward as you feel more comfortable. A slammed -17 should get you fairly low.

And fans. Strong fans. Probably one more fan than you feel is necessary.

Best of luck with your recovery!
Old 02-23-2020, 11:48 PM

I run Zwift through an Apple TV 4K on a 75" TV in my man/pain cave. The Apple TV was the cheapest/easiest way to get up and running since my laptops are old enough to not run Zwift very well and I don't have a HTPC setup. On the 75" TV I kid you not there are times on certain courses when I have I-MAX like moments where the visuals give me that feeling of motion.

I have a big fan on the floor in front of me pointing up at my torso & face, and a smaller one behind me pointing at my back. That second fan in back helps reduce the amount of sweat that runs into my azzcrack (maybe TMI but whatever). I also Zwift in bibs and buttered up just like I ride outdoors. On the trainer your position is relatively more static so you will notice any chamois & saddle issues more than you do outdoors IRL. Make sure to stand up every few minutes (shift into highest gear if necessary) to keep the blood flowing.

No other advice that wouldn't be covered by any of the Zwift level-up tutorials out there. Good luck with the recovery.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 AM

+2 for big fans.
I run mine through my PC, Chromecast it to my TV. Works great, quality is fine for a game & it only cost me an additional $35 for the Chromecast.
Try building your own workouts. Easy to do.
Some of the group rides are fun & take your mind off being inside, but remember everyone on there cheats.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:26 AM

I too use an Apple TV. Automatic updates over the air and the picture is good on a big-screen TV.

Big fan and some headbands to keep perspiration under control are a must, at least for me.

Podcasts to help with the time.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:33 AM

I connect to my 4K TV using a Beelink fanless CPU which is windows based. The unit has a 4k video card, wifi, and a bunch of USB ports. I use ANT because the Bluetooth was sometimes spotty. I invested $175 on the cpu, wireless keyboard, and mouse.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

My one suggestion about using Zwift with Apple TV 4K is to mount the screen slightly lower on the wall than it might be typically attached.

When pedaling hard on either a trainer or rollers, it is nice to not have to raise your head as high.
In the use of rollers, the lowered peripheral vision keeps the rider more easily centered.

Just my $0.02.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Here is a spreadsheet listing all of routes for each world, distance, elevation, and XP you earn for completing each one.

I have a copy saved and have been checking off the routes as I complete them so i have a record of what I have left.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 03-01-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Here is a spreadsheet listing all of routes for each world, distance, elevation, and XP you earn for completing each one.

Thanks! That is a big help as I'm a Zwift novice also.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:13 PM

That spreadsheet is very helpful. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:08 AM

I have heard from friends - don't even try competing with the middle aged soccer mom groups....those people are animals...brutal...except I wasn't sure if they were talking about Zwift or Peloton...
Old 03-02-2020, 10:33 AM
#RYFB

You asked specifically about Zwift so apologies for the drift, but after getting my KICKR a few months ago I've been using Rouvy on my Mac (I have a large external monitor). I'm pretty happy with the setup though the effort level feels much greater than on a comparable outdoor ride -- some people have said that they find Rouvy to offer greater resistance than Zwift, I have no point of comparison.

What I really like about Rouvy is that on a Mac (and, I think, on AppleTV) the software is still beta so the subscription is free. Just something to consider.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post

I have a copy saved and have been checking off the routes as I complete them so i have a record of what I have left.

What is "XP"?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 AM

As pretty much everyone already stated and I will concur, you are gonna want a bigger screen. I have a 40in monitor hooked up to a Windows 10 PC. You could probably hook up a monitor to the iPad? It makes a big difference. You want to feel immersed as best as you can.

The preprogrammed training programs are pretty good in Zwift. Last year I did the one called FTP builder. It keeps you honest. You want to stay on top of it so it helps to keep you riding. This year I opted out of that and instead wanted to focus more on racing. The racing events are pretty amazing really. It really does have the feel of competitive racing with break aways, chase groups and so on.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:16 AM

Zwift's cartoon fantasia is a journey through digital distraction. It's shiny baubles meant to obfuscate the tawdry drudgery of indoor training. Like the small lies we tell ourselves, it is meant to delude the participant about the entire Sisyphean enterprise. It trades mental toughness and resilience for the lights and sounds of a carnival game on a seaside boardwalk.