Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2016, 08:17 AM

Oops, sorry I misread slx as six. My bad. Thanks again
Old 03-27-2018, 01:07 PM

Master X Light

The link below will take you to one of two Colnago bikes I own, one steel and one carbon. Fantastic bike to ride and the Shimano gears work like a dream.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk...pu-extras.html
Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks, great compilation.

You might want to add in the Colnago Crystal, which had Columbus Brain tubing shaped somewhat ovally on the down tube...

Decent riding...I bought one to race on years ago, and then my son mentioned that he had outgrown his first road bike, so he ended up on the Crystal...I think I continued to race my C40 for a while...

Also, for your comment: "others -- i should mention there were master TT, track, and even MTB variants, but this effort is focused entirely on the core road-variants"...there were a small handful of steel cyclocross frames built, one-offs for pro riders. I own a Master CX and I've seen pictures of a couple of mid-90s steel Colnago CX bikes that were lugless (not Dream CX).

My steel Master CX was built in the early-mid '90s. Round tubing, pure CX geometry, unicrown steel fork, no serial number (so Laura @ Colnago couldn't help with any historical details.

Also, btw, the early Spiral Conics had round tubes only, no flared. My '89 had a curved front fork and round tubes. My first Colnago, the one that started the craziness for me.

Last edited by C40_guy; 09-19-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM

Love this thread, here is how my Colnago Master X-Light in Saronni PR82 was last. Its now striped down to the frame waiting on me to rebuild with some Campy .....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YGdVPx]
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-27-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
/3a/8b083a2e582f0df8c7fc4c51835d29ef.jpg[/IMG]
Cool.
Colnagos in the right paint scheme hit me like no other bike. "Hey.. I am YOUR bike and you know it."
Old 07-27-2018, 04:13 PM

Great info!

While dating my 1989 MasterPiu, I learned the following:

88-89 Toptube cable routing changed to internal but missing "piu" decal.
88-89 Seatstay cap stamp changed from "COLNAGO" to "Club" icon.
89-90 Bottom Bracket Stamped "BREV. COLNAGO" and "Club" cutout to Stamped "Colnago" *Not sure

89 the precisa fork was introduced but 'many' masters were ordered with older style fork or swapped fork later by the LBS.

Hope this helps too.

Last edited by flyingPiggy; 07-27-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: oops
Old 10-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Super or Master? How can you tell?

Great thread by the way. I'v recently bought my first Colnago

Trying to identify it. Decals say Super but I'm pretty sure it's had a respray so not sure how much to trust them. A few folks have suggested it may be a Master so thought I would post. Apologies if it's not! Don't mean to crash your thread!

Internal cabling on top tube. Straight Precisa forks but might not be original to frame? Thought it might be a Super Sprint or Super Piu or possibly a Master? Can't find any serial number. I think it might be late 80s or early 90s. I'm no expert so looking for some advice. It's been stripped of all original parts which I'm looking to change but for the time being it rides well and is super light! Pics in link below.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/45719736@N08/54cL27

Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 AM

looks like a super to me. definitely not a master, no gilco profile tubes.

since it has internal routing, good chance colnago was still making the super in the early 90s and simply added internal routing along with the master-piu. or it's some other next-level-down model alongside the master-piu -- super-piu is likely based on images i can google about that model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrooves View Post
Great thread by the way. I'v recently bought my first Colnago

Trying to identify it. Decals say Super but I'm pretty sure it's had a respray so not sure how much to trust them. A few folks have suggested it may be a Master so thought I would post. Apologies if it's not! Don't mean to crash your thread!

Internal cabling on top tube. Straight Precisa forks but might not be original to frame? Thought it might be a Super Sprint or Super Piu or possibly a Master? Can't find any serial number. I think it might be late 80s or early 90s. I'm no expert so looking for some advice. It's been stripped of all original parts which I'm looking to change but for the time being it rides well and is super light! Pics in link below.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/45719736@N08/54cL27

Last edited by wallymann; 10-09-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
looks like a super to me. definitely not a master, no gilco profile tubes.

since it has internal routing, good chance colnago was still making the super in the early 90s and simply added internal routing along with the master-piu. or it's some other next-level-down model alongside the master-piu -- super-piu is likely based on images i can google about that model!
Thanks for coming back so quick. I thought a Piu was likely but couldn't find good proof a Super Piu existed or a Super with internal cabling. Some photos from other owners but nothing like a catalogue shot or something more concrete.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 PM

thanks for sharing. I have had a few of these over the years and I always want one when I don't have one. That one with the split down tube looks amazing.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanks for this great thread. I've always wanted a colnago but back in the early nineties I had to "settle" for a Pinarello Montello (vintage mid 80s) in Spumoni paint. This thread helped me figure on what I was looking for. Finally finished the build up today and went for a quick ten miles 😀. Per Laura at Colnago it's a 1996 in AD4 finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181125_141600081_20181125181902938.jpg (132.8 KB, 250 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:05 AM

Serial number?

This is mine, waiting to be equipped. I think it's a first generation Master, with external cable routing, although in most photos the cable glands are above and not below the tube. It was repainted by the previous owner. Is there a serial number that would allow me to identify it with certainty?

Last edited by velogeek.be; 01-26-2019 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Picture doesn't display
Old 01-26-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velogeek.be View Post
This is mine, waiting to be equipped. I think it's a first generation Master, with external cable routing, although in most photos the cable glands are above and not below the tube. It was repainted by the previous owner. Is there a serial number that would allow me to identify it with certainty?
Late generation Master--late 90s to 2000s when they switched those cable stops to the side of the top tube (you will see them in the same location on the CT1/2 (titanium) if they are original.

Serial may be on the face of the rear dropout.

Last edited by paredown; 01-26-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Thank you. I found a catalogue from 1997 and it matches, indeed. It's not bad news, it allows me a more modern group.