Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 03:52 PM

Biggest campy question I have is if they are going Ekar EPS? It seems like it would be very simple for them to execute this in such a way to have a dominant 1x gravel groupset as IMO Ekar already is.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:54 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslow View Post
Biggest campy question I have is if they are going Ekar EPS? It seems like it would be very simple for them to execute this in such a way to have a dominant 1x gravel groupset as IMO Ekar already is.
I know the answer to the first part.
The second, the biggest buyer/seller of Ekar in the World.... The United States! The US, the importers for Campy have bought more Ekar than any other in the World. I know one importer who bought 400 kits. And that's just recently in 1 order! That doesn't include the the first 50 they bought or the the second order of 150. And this place isn't even the biggest importer (not Q or J&B).

I think Campy hit it out of the park with Ekar. It's perfect. There isn't really a solid way to make it lighter. The only way to make it cheaper is an alloy crankset option or a much heavier cassette that's not machined as much. It's pretty perfect. And all the accessories they offer for it? It's the most complete group of any brand out there! Bags, clothing, small parts/repair parts. It's the best one out there. And since it's not really Campy, young people love it.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
For the life of me I cannot see a truly substantial benefit to the end user for wireless other than if it's on a travel bike.

Sure, perhaps for people building bikes, but for the rider. Once you have the cables mounted, you essentially do nothing to the system but turn a barrel adjuster very infrequently.

With wireless, it's another device you need to charge (which admittedly isn't often)... and with SRAM it's a derailleur you have to kick every so often to make it work.

Of all the most recent "upgrades/trends" Discs, Thru axles, Clutches, Gravel bikes, Increased tire clearance... Wireless is the one that seems the most a solution looking for a problem.
Agree 100%. I see that 'some' yak about the 'elegance' of wireless, in spite of the big battery 'knobs' on the ders, and subsequent poor tire clearance to the front der(I have an idea, just get rid of it...)...but for assemblers..yup, for the rest of 'us'..I see no advantage. The same who complain about that wee interface on the stem then strap all sorts of big gizmos for HR/GPS/etc, blah on there.

Gotta wonder why etap is SO expensive, considering how 'simple' it is...
Old 10-18-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
The second, the biggest buyer/seller of Ekar in the World.... The United States! The US, the importers for Campy have bought more Ekar than any other in the World. I know one importer who bought 400 kits. And that's just recently in 1 order! That doesn't include the the first 50 they bought or the the second order of 150. And this place isn't even the biggest importer (not Q or J&B).

I think Campy hit it out of the park with Ekar. It's perfect. There isn't really a solid way to make it lighter. The only way to make it cheaper is an alloy crankset option or a much heavier cassette that's not machined as much. It's pretty perfect. And all the accessories they offer for it? It's the most complete group of any brand out there! Bags, clothing, small parts/repair parts. It's the best one out there. And since it's not really Campy, young people love it.
That's incredible. Awesome for Campy!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Don’t leave us hanging …
Old 10-18-2021, 12:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Don’t leave us hanging …
AND if Campag DOES go EKAR EPS, NO need for 2 shifters, ala sram...

And no, I have no inside info.

As an aside, new owner of Vecchio's..trying to put together a 1by sram Moots..cannot get right levers(or left levers)..so...full stop. They aren't sold in pairs, in spite of the fact that ya gotta have 'em both even if 1 by.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:17 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
AND if Campag DOES go EKAR EPS, NO need for 2 shifters, ala sram...

And no, I have no inside info.

As an aside, new owner of Vecchio's..trying to put together a 1by sram Moots..cannot get right levers(or left levers)..so...full stop. They aren't sold in pairs, in spite of the fact that ya gotta have 'em both even if 1 by.

It;'s not even the whole nothing in stock, it's the horrible delivery issues. I have ordered a suspension fork and rear shock for a build and SRAM says it's in stock but it's been weeks and they haven't even shipped it!!
Old 10-18-2021, 02:51 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Question

Does anyone know about any truth to the swirling rumor that Campagnolo will reinforce their carbon fiber water bottle cages so the bottom tab does not crack even under very modest non-racing enthusiast use?
Old 10-18-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslow View Post
From what I’ve read the answer, strictly defined, is NO. Because there will be no more new EPS products, they are end-of-life. The good news: There is a new electronic platform on the way which will be either wireless or semi-wireless. In that regard the answer is an emphatic YES.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Does anyone know about any truth to the swirling rumor that Campagnolo will reinforce their carbon fiber water bottle cages so the bottom tab does not crack even under very modest non-racing enthusiast use?

They aren't producing them anymore. What's in the system is all that's out there.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:55 AM

13 speed road

Is it a thing
Old 10-21-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
Is it a thing
Not yet, but it's bound to be sooner or later.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:59 AM

The best strategy (most fun for me) is to skip generations

Like going from 9 speed to 12

11 speed is so yesterday

I run campy 10 speed with Shimano nine cogs, I got 14-25, 13-25, 12-25 to burn up

Bring on the 12 speed Centaur
Old 12-09-2021, 09:08 PM

When does 2021 product ship to retailers? Will it include 11spd?

I've encountered many "out of stock" notices while shopping for 11 spd Campy equipment. Do any forumites know if Campy will continue to produce 11 spd equipment for 2022? Most of the retailers indicate restocking in January, I'm hoping that is accurate.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
I've encountered many "out of stock" notices while shopping for 11 spd Campy equipment. Do any forumites know if Campy will continue to produce 11 spd equipment for 2022? Most of the retailers indicate restocking in January, I'm hoping that is accurate.
Yes