Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2021, 08:26 AM

Recommendations Requested - Helmet Mount Front Bike Light

LBS here on Wednesday is holding gravel/trail/single track rides. 20-25 folks show on gravel, mountain and fat tire bikes.
Those of us on gravel bikes suffer on the more tech sections through the narrow, twisty, wet wooded and rocky trails. New England style.....
Looking for recommendations for a helmet mount front LED light to pair with an existing LED bar mount.
I suffered last night due to mostly skill and lack of illumination on the narrow stuff.
Man was it fun!
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by cd_davis; 10-21-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:29 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Bontrager Ion Pro. They make a nice helmet mount and it can mount to any regular (GoPro) style mount with an adapter.

Brightness on the highest setting, good life on 800L, flash for daytime riding, etc.

Another positive is that battery life and on/off can be activated and reviewed on Garmin/Wahoo computers so you always know the light status, mode, and battery level.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:47 AM

NiteRider Micro 850 is a really good budget option. It's pretty lightweight, and the beam pattern is a nice oval shape that penetrates well, but still has enough spill so that it's not a pure spot light.

If you want to make more of an investment, I'd recommend the Outbound Hangover.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
NiteRider Micro 850 is a really good budget option. It's pretty lightweight, and the beam pattern is a nice oval shape that penetrates well, but still has enough spill so that it's not a pure spot light.

If you want to make more of an investment, I'd recommend the Outbound Hangover.

Seconding the Hangover, great light, fantastic support and made in the US: https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/hangover
Old 10-21-2021, 11:10 AM

you cannot go wrong with a Lupine Neo 4. I have one and it weighs nothing. You can get it with a small battery pack which will hold enough juice for a night MTB ride. The battery can fit on your helmet or more preferably in a backpack or pocket.

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/i...?cID=0&PID=541
Old 10-21-2021, 12:04 PM

I just got a glowworm and while I'm very happy with it, I'm going to follow on to joosttx's point about the battery. Personally I would rather the battery be mounted on the helmet (so that there are no snaggable cable loops dangling off of my head). Since night MTB'ing is usually a sub-2h affair, I'd say pay extra attention to the system weight. My light has a kind of a meaty battery, and it's not awful having a big battery on the back of my helmet, but it's not perfect.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:31 PM

I think all the recommendations are good.
Personally I use a Cygolite, I think it's the Metro 1100
Old 10-21-2021, 07:49 PM

I have the bontrager one and the nite rider one. The bontrager one lasts longer, is lighter, and doesn’t get as hot. It’s also more than double the money of the nite rider one. Either are probably good for what you want. I do actually have a bontrager helmet that came with an built in light mount for the bontrager lights. It’s sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2021, 08:44 PM

Outbound lighting hangover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 01:35 PM

I love my Lupine Neo 4 as well, but I really haven't tried too many other options. Had the Neo 4 for about 5 years at this point - it's been great for singletrack fall and winter fatbike rides!
Old 10-22-2021, 03:27 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
NiteRider Micro 850
I'm not familiar with the "Micro" version(s) but if it's at all like any of the Niterider Lumina headlights I've used -- especially if the "850" refers to lumens output like it does with the Luminas, and it's smaller as suggested by that "Micro" designation -- then that sounds like a no-brainer. I've used Niterider Lumina 650 and 750 on the supplied helmet mount, and while they can get uncomfortably heavy after a while the illumination is astonishingly good.