Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Terrible rack and front fender set up. It is hard to get these kinds of bikes right. With some more care in the build this could make a nice bike.
What are you seeing re the rack and fender set-up? I know these rando racks can be finicky to set up in terms of height relative to handlebars and so forth but I don’t know the details. I do notice the rack in the pic seems to have a pronounced up slope.

Last edited by Xrslug; 04-17-2024 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:39 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
What are you seeing re the rack and fender set-up? I know these rando racks can be finicky to set up in terms of height relative to handlebars and so forth but I don’t know the details. I do notice the rack in the pic seems to have a pronounced up slope.
Looks like they aligned the rack with the top tube rather than the ground. Is this a personal preference, a practical preference, or a Randominati thing?

As for the fenders - maybe the lack of mudflaps?
Old 04-17-2024, 04:40 PM

For racks - you get 1° of upslope and up to 15mm height above the fender before the aesthetics are degraded as well as functionality with most bags. The rack is around +10°, no good. Needs adjustment to the brazeons if that's their default rack preference, or change to an adjustable stay model. If the tombstone was aligned parallel with the headtube it might actually work at the current orientation but as is it looks off.

It is a good looking bike, the parallelism between stem/top tube/drops is great. Paint is nice, geometry will be interesting to see. It looks mid-trail, similar to the recent VO rando.

I'm not sure what's going on with aluminum fenders, some manufacturers shortened their models in 2020 for some reason and the fenders on that build Montebello are around 30mm to short in the rear and 50mm too short in the front.

More shots of apparently that specific bike here (w/even shorter fenders):https://bikepacking.com/plog/seven-s...fergus-tanaka/

Old 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
what's a little rust?

Seems people experiment with different fender lengths based on travel or car rack needs in addition to preferences. I like 'em long, but I also don't fly my bike or put it in my rack when it's fendered.

That rack looks like an adjustable stay model to me, so it shouldn't be hard to address the setup. It is nice and low relative to the fender.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Seems people experiment with different fender lengths based on travel or car rack needs in addition to preferences. I like 'em long, but I also don't fly my bike or put it in my rack when it's fendered.

That rack looks like an adjustable stay model to me, so it shouldn't be hard to address the setup. It is nice and low relative to the fender.
Given that the front light is also pointing up, aligned with the rack, my guess is they put this rack on and just didn’t fiddle with it before the photo shoot.

My other question, given that they call out the fork has internal routing for generator / lighting, and this bike in the photos has Ritchey Zeta rims, a front light, and wiring through the fork … will Ritchey be offering a generator hub wheelset?
Old 04-17-2024, 06:04 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Ritchey does some really well executed things, to bad tall people need not apply.
This. It's been years of me periodically checking their site to see if they finally have a stack and reach that would fit.
And based on comments in person as well as online, I'm not the only one that periodically checks.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:15 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Swiss Cross is available in a XXL, FWIW. Should at least fit well for someone up to 6'5" with the right components. I think it's the "biggest" bike they currently make.

Outback and Ascent do top out at about 6'3". I'm at 6'2" and on the upper end of comfortable range on the XL Outback.
An XXL SwissCross has only 609mm of stack with 405mm reach. And the bb drop is 63mm.
That isn't nearly enough stack for me at 6'5, and the bb drop isn't what I would want for road or gravel.
...I'm sure it works well for someone else though.

A disc Logic XL has 610mm stack and 409mm reach.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
More shots of apparently that specific bike here (w/even shorter fenders):https://bikepacking.com/plog/seven-s...fergus-tanaka/
Well that's frustrating, shots taken two doors down from my office and also near my home. Fergus and this bike were so close to me
Old 04-17-2024, 06:24 PM

Oh, new P-29er. Wish it had some details.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Oh, new P-29er. Wish it had some details.
Just got to wait one more day.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Just got to wait one more day.
But I want details NOWNOWNOW!!!1!!!one
Old 04-17-2024, 08:30 PM

I think the rack is a Soma Champs Élysées stainless rack, which is an odd pick since it’s pretty much made for Soma forks and their high positioned eyelets and is non adjustable. It’s a great rack (I have one) just not the right choice for that fork. As mentioned sounds like a last minute before the photo shoot decision!
Old 04-17-2024, 08:34 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
I think the rack is a Soma Champs Élysées stainless rack, which is an odd pick since it’s pretty much made for Soma forks and their high positioned eyelets and is non adjustable. It’s a great rack (I have one) just not the right choice for that fork. As mentioned sounds like a last minute before the photo shoot decision!
I stand corrected. In the Radavist photos it also looks like the diving board has been tweaked, or maybe it’s just odd out of the box? A Nitto M-18 would be my choice.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
An XXL SwissCross ... and the bb drop isn't what I would want for road or gravel.
As the name suggests: it´s a cyclocross bike and not a roadie. Pick the right tool for the job.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
As the name suggests: it´s a cyclocross bike and not a roadie. Pick the right tool for the job.
The other models aren't big enough or tall enough to be the right tool for any job if you're very tall.