Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2023, 12:38 PM

Rob... you're making me want to dig out old pictures of my CAAD9 haha. Last of the USA series CAAD bikes!
Old 09-01-2023, 01:17 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
These classic framesets have been out of stock for a while now, are you guys seeing them for sale somewhere now?
all i've been seeing past couple months is ebay grifters / flippers and the very occasional full build on FB
Old 09-01-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
The Limited Edition Glacier Blue is even more retro looking. Hearkening 2.8/3.0 bikes/frames. Not that I don't dig the Saeco vibe. I had a Rev X clad CAAD3, and later a CAAD 5? with the Si fork.

But more than that, I dig we are fan-boying rim brakes steeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex View Post
oof that's pretty. reminds me of the Cinelli Laser.
Wow! That's a good-looking frameset, and yes, I agree - it looks very Cinelli Laser-ish.

My first road bike was a late 80s Cannondale in this exact same color. Man, I loved that thing. It was so sexy with the color and that massive downtube. Sadly, it was stolen. I was crushed.

Texbike
Old 09-01-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Wow! That's a good-looking frameset, and yes, I agree - it looks very Cinelli Laser-ish.

My first road bike was a late 80s Cannondale in this exact same color. Man, I loved that thing. It was so sexy with the color and that massive downtube. Sadly, it was stolen. I was crushed.

Texbike
You should probably thank the thief who did their part to help out your back and teeth!
Old 09-01-2023, 09:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
You should probably thank the thief who did their part to help out your back and teeth!
A friend had a 62CM 3.0 with 23mm tires. Somehow it rode very well. I don't know that was possible, but empirical.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:18 PM

I bought the gloss primer grey 2021 CAAD 13 from REI during the time in 2021 when bikes were scarce.
I was super excited because my 2010 CAAD 10 has always been a favorite bike of mine even amongst my Moots Madone and Emonda that are in my quiver.
I really like the 13 but I didn’t fall head over heels in love with it.
As others have said the 13 is not the purebred race machine “Ferrari super car” that the 10 was.
I think Cannondale tried to make it too much of a swiss army bike and lost it’s purebred racing dna.
It is like a race bike/commuter/gravel/touring bike all rolled into one. Not a bad bike but it just doesn’t scream hammerfest like the 10 does.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:25 AM

Ugh... I just bought a rim brake caad13 that seemed too good a deal to pass on especially when the seller said he'd been running measured 32s on it 😁
Old 11-09-2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
That's considered retro now? Gah.
Viper Red with yellow quadwrap decals first appeared on the 1999 frames I think. I guess it depends on how you define retro, but I remember when anything 25 years old was considered antique.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:29 AM

I unexpectedly found a 60cm CAAD13 frameset last year in the red colorway. I'm a big dude and this frame is more than stiff enough. Aluminium has really come a long way. I find the frame as comfortable as my steel bikes on longer ridem which was a plesant surprise. Although I'm riding 28mm tires on Velocity Dyad rims, the tires are measuring 30mm. The clearance is very good. I really couldn't be happier.

Here's a link to the pic:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=fanboy&page=7

Last edited by edward12; 11-09-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
I unexpectedly found a 60cm CAAD13 frameset last year in the red colorway. I'm a big dude and this frame is more than stiff enough. Aluminium has really come a long way. I find the frame as comfortable as my steel bikes on longer ridem which was a plesant surprise. Although I'm riding 28mm tires on Velocity Dyad rims, the tires are measuring 30mm. The clearance is very good. I really couldn't be happier.
Rim brake or disc?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
My vote, find a used Supersix hi-mod and spend $600 on a retro paint job.
I wanted to buy the glacier blue CAAD13 when it came out, but ended up going this route. The SSEvo HiMod Gen 2 is my all-time favorite rim-brake road bike.

Funny that some guys are saying the colorway is Cinelli Laser-ish. It's supposed to be a throwback to the Cannondale Track, which are definitely vintage and still coveted by a few of us weirdos. I prefer it over the Saeco colorway.

I even bought a base model Topstone because it was close to this color (Alpine Blue).
Old 11-09-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Rim brake or disc?
Rim.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:50 AM

What are folks generally seeing for reasonable builds of the rim brake bikes. My other bike right now is a fairlight strael so I think I might get my weenie on a little bit with this build...within reason though since I'm repurposing an R7000 groupset for it (likely with ultegra cranks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
Rim.
How much clearance do you have on either side of the tire right now?
Old 11-09-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Lol, it was replaced with a late 80s/early 90s Cannondale Criterium which may have been even stiffer. I put thousands of miles on that bike without realizing how unforgiving it was until I picked up an early 80s Cinelli. That was an eye-opening change in ride quality.

I've often thought that perhaps it was the tire pressures I was running at the time (120 +) that could have been having the biggest impact on the jarring ride. I'd love to try one of those older Cannondales with 80ish lbs of pressure in slightly wider tires and see what difference it would make to the ride.

Texbike
Old 11-09-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Lol, it was replaced with a late 80s/early 90s Cannondale Criterium which may have been even stiffer. I put thousands of miles on that bike without realizing how unforgiving it was until I picked up an early 80s Cinelli. That was an eye-opening change in ride quality.

I've often thought that perhaps it was the tire pressures I was running at the time (120 +) that could have been having the biggest impact on the jarring ride. I'd love to try one of those older Cannondales with 80ish lbs of pressure in slightly wider tires and see what difference it would make to the ride.

Texbike
You might lose one filling every ride instead of several.

Tags
cult of caad