Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
It's a custom and it would be classed as a small, about a 50ST x 53.5TT (those are off the top of my head as I don't have the build sheet nearby). It bears my user name and was built by Dazza back in 2006. I think I have about 25,000km on it.
If Llewellyn used EOM 16.5 and you have 25,000 km on yours (), that's a good sign, even if your frame size is at the other end of the spectrum from mine.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
If Llewellyn used EOM 16.5 and you have 25,000 km on yours (), that's a good sign, even if your frame size is at the other end of the spectrum from mine.
One thing I should mention is that my seat tube has a 30.6mm diameter which can limit your seatpost options. But I'm not sure if that was just a peculiarity of the tube that Dazza used or whether it was standard for that tubeset. But given the quality of the ride I can live with that particular quirk.

As I've said here a number of times it has been the best money I've spent on cycling gear. And with that in mind, the sun is out (for the time being) so I'm going for a quick ride before work kicks off this afternoon and a predicted thunderstorm rolls in.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
One thing I should mention is that my seat tube has a 30.6mm diameter which can limit your seatpost options. But I'm not sure if that was just a peculiarity of the tube that Dazza used or whether it was standard for that tubeset. But given the quality of the ride I can live with that particular quirk.

As I've said here a number of times it has been the best money I've spent on cycling gear. And with that in mind, the sun is out (for the time being) so I'm going for a quick ride before work kicks off this afternoon and a predicted thunderstorm rolls in.
Excellent, and your story now explains why the seat tube on the frame I am looking at has a carbon insert (I guess part of the carbon rear "kit" Deda supplied to builders) bonded in which reduces the seattube to 27.2mm.

Thank you for the specificity and enjoy your ride.
(And better thunderstorms than massive fires for all of you down there!)
Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 AM

I have a Pegoretti Marcelo made from EOM 16.5 that also has a carbon fork- first impressions were not what I thought. Having had a few carbon/aluminum bikes before it I was expecting that "springy" steel feel, but I was pretty surprised at how stiff and planted it felt. No problems with discomfort taking it out on all-day rides either.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:15 AM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I have a Fondriest X Status that is constructed from EOM 16.50. I have had this particular bike longer than any other. It is that good. Not sure it's all the material but it certainly is a wonderful steel. Mine also has the carbon seatstays and a carbon fork. It is a 58 and I find it easily as stiff as my Merckx made from Columbus Zona. I am not a big guy, 160lb and not a masher so I can't speak to it being a sprinters delight, but it is very nice on a century ride. I would consider it a plus if is a frame that fits you. And if you get one and don't like it and it is 58ish let me know
Here is a recent picture of my X Status
IMG_1092.jpg
Old 06-17-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
Here is a recent picture of my X Status
I was not expecting to see that before I logged on, as most of the X-Status I have seen have a bit more exuberant swirley/fadey paint, a bit much for me.

Yours is beautiful, very elegant.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
I was not expecting to see that before I logged on, as most of the X-Status I have seen have a bit more exuberant swirley/fadey paint, a bit much for me.

Yours is beautiful, very elegant.
Thanks for the compliment.
It originally had some type of black "rubber" paint on the steel. Over time it got sticky and everything would cling to it. I spent many hours removing it with certain chemicals and rubber gloves before sending it off to be painted. Had the carbon stays and fork painted to match.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:23 AM

My Ristretto (rim brake, carbon Enve 2.0 fork - 55cm TT) uses Deda 16.5 for the main triangle and Columbus XCr for the rear end. I am in awe of this frame, it feels wonderfully solid and alive at the same time.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=237968
Attached Images
File Type: jpg az.jpg (75.8 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by gibbo; 06-18-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:42 AM

Ask a frame builder.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:26 PM

I THINK my Marcelo was spirit

Quote:
Thank you for the detail.
Yes, I believe Waterford use True Temper primarily, including S3, maybe Reynolds as well, but not Italian steel afaik. Kelly and Waterford, both super.

Apparently earlier Pegoretti Marcelos utilized EOM 16.5, before the switch to Spirit; do you know which tubing yourMarcelo utilized? Pinarello and many other top Italian brands seem to have used EOM 16.5 as well, for years. I understand the carbon seatstays were an additional option Dedacciai provided to builders who wanted it, just as Columbus did with their carbon rear "kit".

What size was the Pinarello EOM 16.5 that you found flexible compared to TT-S3 and others, for what rider weight +/-? Too bad it landed at the bottom of a fairly long list.
I ride a 56cm, and weighed 165-168 for all these bikes. None of them were bad, but as you can see I have been lucky to ride some really really good bikes.

Honestly, I think the geometry as far as handling and the wheel/tire choice will do more for the ride feel than the type of steel in the tubes.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:46 PM

am late to the conversation.

i'm 6'3" and 190 lbs. I have a Steelman Stage Race from 2005, Deda EOM 16.5 main tubes with a Deda Black Box carbon rear end (seat and chain stays). Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. It is semi sloping and has a 58 cm TT (CtC). It is my second custom frame, behind an Columbus TSX frame from 1993.

Zero issues on denting. It went down once on the drivetrain side, high speed decent in the rain. Bent the hanger, but Brent had several extra and luckily it was replaceable.

bike has over 25K miles on it, and it is the benchmark for all other bikes I had/have. This frame will stay with me until the end I believe. It is 18.5 lbs built up with Record 10 speed and Fulcrum one wheels.

always been a fan of Fondriest frames, never had one though. If you pulled the trigger on a Deda frame, hope it is as good for you, as mine has been for me.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:01 PM

Ibis was building w/ Deda 18mcdv6 in late 90s. I don´t where it falls in the hierarchy. Ibis went from tange prestige to that tubing.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:34 PM

I had a Pinarello Opera with 16.5 steel, carbon fork and seat stays. Very comfortable bike, absorbed road shock well, not that stiff. The steel was also not easily dented. Enjoyed the bike, I have gotten shorter over the years and was too big when I sold it