Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Basic Campy BB question

Since all of my builds to date have involved outboard bearings, I'm still a little new to the whole square-taper bottom bracket scene (believe it or not). With that in mind, I'm attempting to install a Chorus double on a frame that takes a 68 x 113. Do I need to find a Campy BB with a 113 spindle or will a 115 (with some adjustments) do the job?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 AM

The Chorus double takes a 102mm spindle.

You should use a Chorus ST BB, it comes in a 102 mm length.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks Jim -- and this is your crank, by the way...
Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Ottrott DKS

Or if you want to save some money, I've had good luck with the Token BB's with campy taper in 102 length which are less than $40. Or a Phil BB for the same price as Campy and will last forever.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim11
Since all of my builds to date have involved outboard bearings, I'm still a little new to the whole square-taper bottom bracket scene (believe it or not). With that in mind, I'm attempting to install a Chorus double on a frame that takes a 68 x 113. Do I need to find a Campy BB with a 113 spindle or will a 115 (with some adjustments) do the job?

Thanks.
What the other poster said(102mm) and tap the RH cup off, grease in there, left cup also. As per Campagnolo literature, dry spindle 26-28 ft-lbs of torque.
Grease onto the crank bolt threads and around the washer.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Thanks all -- good to go.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim11

Thanks.
Chorus and Record use 102mm - Veloce, Mirage etc... use the longer BB's.

If you can't find one, Phil makes a 102mm.

And - you really need to use the correct BB.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Ottrott DKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
What the other poster said(102mm) and tap the RH cup off, grease in there, left cup also. As per Campagnolo literature, dry spindle 26-28 ft-lbs of torque.
Grease onto the crank bolt threads and around the washer.
I disagree with grease on the crank bolt threads... they have blue loctite goopy preapplied, grease would negate the locking effect. I install them dry or with a little blue loctite if they've been removed a few times. But then I also grease the taper even though I'm not supposed to.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Do NOT grease the flats of the spindle where the crank arm will fit.

Bad if you do.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-record
Do NOT grease the flats of the spindle where the crank arm will fit.

Bad if you do.
You do credit to your screen name-bravo!

And if ya want correct torque, grease those threads like all threads..to the other gent that doesn't. Steel bolt rusted to steel BB spindle=broken bolt and throw away BB.

It's all about trying replicate the position of the crank every time you install it, chainline wise. Torque on a dry spindle with grease on crank bolt threads and onto washer means that.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Ottrott DKS

This is one of those arguments that has no right or absolute answer. I think greasing the tapers lightly results in a more repeatable position and prevents galling. Loctite on the threads keeps the bolts from loosening. If you grease them, just make sure you don't tighten the bolts over and over every time they feel a little loose, then you will ruin the crank. Note that Campy bolts are chrome plated and won't rust but I have had the chrome gall and lock a bolt in place when it was re-used once too many times.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/installing-cranks.html
Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike748
This is one of those arguments that has no right or absolute answer. I think greasing the tapers lightly results in a more repeatable position and prevents galling. Loctite on the threads keeps the bolts from loosening. If you grease them, just make sure you don't tighten the bolts over and over every time they feel a little loose, then you will ruin the crank. Note that Campy bolts are chrome plated and won't rust but I have had the chrome gall and lock a bolt in place when it was re-used once too many times.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/installing-cranks.html
Sheldon, bless him and may he rest in peace...didn't even believe in torque wrenches. Torque wrench, and Campagnolo recommended procedure is how I have been doing it in bike shops for 2 decades and haven't had a crank fall off or gall, yet. Yes, other ways to do it but Campagnolo.......

this horse is dead!