Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 08:53 AM

Favero Assioma Pro MX MTB (SPD) Power Meter

Now that these have been announced and reviewed, they seem perfect for me, as a first impression.

I’ve gone all-SPD in my life, and this appears to be a well priced entry into the market, with affordable replacement parts as well.

They don’t seem to be available anywhere yet, which seems odd since all the launch reviews appeared yesterday.

Since I’m in a long meeting and bored, any downsides you can tell? I know people in general are happy with their Faveros.

Discuss.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:55 AM

I hit my pedals a lot more than my spider on things while riding. Can they take the abuse?
Old 02-21-2024, 08:59 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I hit my pedals a lot more than my spider on things while riding. Can they take the abuse?
sounds like they get a thumbs up from DC Rainmaker..
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/...al-review.html
Old 02-21-2024, 09:03 AM

I apologize but I can’t read his reviews. They are too detailed.

I did glance quickly in the section called daily ride usage and it mentions durability being important but that was about it.

Rocks attack us here in the desert. They jump off the trail sometimes to smash pedals, rims, spokes and frames. Nevermind the occasional pedal strike.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 02-21-2024 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:12 AM

They appear to be very sturdy, and replacement bodies are much cheaper than their Garmin rival. In another review they showed some machine that repeatedly shoots the pedals into hard surfaces.

The Garmins have been around a while, so they have a proven track record in rock strikes.

Garmin uses coin cells instead of rechargeable batteries. Favero batteries are supposed to last over ten years without degradation.

But, my experience is internet reading, so not necessarily so accurate.

The obvious key differentiator here versus Garmin and SRM is the pricing. These are coming in single sided under $500.

Last edited by feynman; 02-21-2024 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:58 AM

I don’t have experience with these, but have the Garmins. It’s a real pleasure to take them off and put on a set of light, smooth XTR pedals. So, I’d say consider a spider based meter unless you plan on switching between bikes often. Power2Max is the one I’m thinking of.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:34 PM
#RYFB

No experience with these but I have a pair of the Assioma Duo road pedals. More than 12k miles on them, completely reliable and trouble free, and quite economical in comparison to spider/crank based options. I like that they have moved the electronics into the spindle, both functionally and aesthetically; also a very positive review on GPLama.

I went with the Duo because I wanted to understand my L/R balance, but now that I know I'm pretty close to 50/50, I'd likely go for the Uno just to save a few bucks. I have no experience with the Garmin pedals but given my experience I'm likely to opt for these when the time comes. My only consideration would be whether it's better to buy the Shi spindles so as to use a Shimano pedal body.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:42 PM
Meh

I've seen Quarq DZero spiders on sale for about $500.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:09 PM
Back At It!

I think the biggest pro to pedal-based systems is the ability to switch between bikes.. I know you might have a quick calibration, but doesn't sound difficult.. and I could have a PM on any of my bikes.. am I missing something here?
Old 02-21-2024, 01:10 PM

I'm still pretty happy with my left sided crank PMs on multiple bikes. And the price is more than right especially on the used market.

Though I understand the wants of folks to try to get reads on both sides.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I'm still pretty happy with my left sided crank PMs on multiple bikes. And the price is more than right especially on the used market.

This is what I’d do as well if not a spider. Just get a few crank arms!
Old 02-21-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

For off-road riding (mtb or gravel), left side power meters have some disadvantages. They don't always have clearance between the crankarms and the chainrings, and also with the irregular pedaling that sometimes happens on dirt, the left/right balance may be different, even for a rider whose road left/right balance is even.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:53 PM

If I really really thought I wanted a PM on my MTB it seems like this would be relatively easy.

It's like $200 more than a single sided Stages to get this with dual sided, but my bike has SRAM, and SRAM is confusing enough I'm not even sure I could get a Stages that fits my crankset without having to buy a new crankset. At that point these pedals would be a wash on price even if you get the dual sided option.

I would have to really really think about how valuable a PM is on a MTB. I think you could basically do your targeted training on a road bike and then you're almost just using the MTB PM to record power during rides/races.

You're not really going to do much in terms of structured training on actual MTB trails so it's really just to see what your effort is?

I feel like MTB it's more often "have to put out the appropriate power and there is no choice." You put out too much power and you gas out and walk. You put out too little you have to walk. Anything flat or downhill you put out too much and you crash, or you're barely pedaling anyway?

Just brainstorming, I have PMs on 2 bikes already, just never tried it on MTB, even though I was like 90% MTB the last 2-3 years.

There has never been anything I've done on a MTB that makes the hills easier than just going and training on the road. Anytime I'm in good road shape I'm basically cruising in the woods, cause putting down high power just ends up putting me over my technical limits.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:02 PM

not all trails are the same and there are plenty of trails or dirt roads in our area that are quite fun on a mtb that could easily support structured training.

I could’ve paced myself better going for a strava KOM this past weekend on a 40 minute climb! Instead I red lined too long while trying to stay away from two guys on e-bikes I had passed in a more technical part of the climb and had to back off to recovery zone and endurance for a few minutes before I could ramp up again and ultimately lost probably two minutes on the climb.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 02-21-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:07 PM
Meh

Pros are not us, but just for the record, XC pros like Nino run (spider-based) PMs on their race bikes:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-c...-cup-wins.html

But XC pros also do a lot of their base and interval training on road bikes (with power meters), presumably because it's the most efficient way to work a structured program. So my presumption is that they run PMs on the race bikes so that they know if they're hitting a certain required effort. World Cup courses are extremely structured so Nino (for example) may know that he has to hit a certain wattage over a certain time period to move up on a certain climb, or using it to make sure an effort is threshold and not over the limit if he's reserving effort for later.