Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 09:55 AM

Custom MTB Advice

Last year I put down a deposit for a custom titanium gravel frame, and then promptly found a steel frame that does 80% of what I wanted from the ti frame. Together with my other all-road bike, seems like overkill.

The maker is fine with me transferring the deposit to make something different, so I'm thinking of diving into a MTB. The maker mostly does race CX bikes, which you'd expect, but I'll have them do a all-mountain or trail-version for me - i.e., slacker geometry, not a racer, etc.

My last MTB was a steel 26er, to give you some sense of how long ago it was. Since my knowledge is so old, wondering what advice you'd give someone in my position, i.e., someone whose first MTB frame in, well, decades, is a custom titanium full suss. What should I know about geometry, fit, suspension, preferences, going in? Resources I should scout out?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM

I would get fitted. Probably worth the money spent since it’s been awhile. Then, assuming you trust the builder let him build you the bike. My feeling if you never experienced a modern MTB all you can do is screw up the design process by trying and learn through reading and not experience.

This is exactly what I did with my 44 MTB and I couldn’t be more happy. I did choose the color.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Does the builder have much experience building mtn. bikes?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Honestly I wouldn't put that challenge on that builder. If it's not their specialty, they might not tick all the boxes.

It's like going to a mexican restaurant and ordering a burger. Sure it can be done, but it won't be as good as their signature items.

There's a lot that goes into these modern MTB bikes, especially with boost, super boost, thru axles, suspension kinematics, etc. I'm sure the builder wants the paycheck, but their stress level would be relieved if they didn't have to do it.

There are so many good MTBs out there, you'd have to go ride a bunch to figure out what to clone. Do you want/need 29er wheels? What travel? Coil or air shock? Do you like the trend du jour of a steep STA?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM

It's a big maker with lots of road and MTB experience.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Trust them, get a fit, and let them guide the process.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Administrator

in addition i would see if there is a local mtb forum or something for your area.

seems to me that the type of bike you want can be very different from location to location, so it might be best to have a bike built not only for you, but for the trails your bike will see the most action.

talking to the regulars would be a good place to start,.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:07 PM

Go for a road bike instead. Titanium is a stupid material for an MTB frame.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM

hmm....not a lot of custom builders doing ti full suss...if your guy doesn't do a lot of mtb, first question i would ask is about the rear triangle

alliance does a lot of mtb and he uses alloy for rear triangle (ventana design)

moots used to do one, but no longer

seven dropped one recently and it is super spendy (probably for a reason)...i don't believe the linkages are ti

Last edited by crownjewelwl; 07-17-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Full sus? Buy carbon with a warranty from your LBS. Santa Cruz, Kona, Specialized, whatever.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Go grab a rental or demo bike from somewhere to get the feel for what you like. Then if you find something that fits, take the measurements down. But I agree with the rest of the crew. Road bikes are one thing, mountain bikes are a whooole nother thing.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:51 PM

If I'm reading OP correctly, you're beholden to the current builder for the sake of retaining your deposit, no?
Old 07-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Is there nothing you would change about the steel frame you bought? If there is, why not take this an opportunity to really refine and nail your perfect gravel frame in Ti, move the parts over and sell the steel frame?

I'd give a lot more thought (and test riding) to the MTB as others above have mentioned.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Is there nothing you would change about the steel frame you bought? If there is, why not take this an opportunity to really refine and nail your perfect gravel frame in Ti, move the parts over and sell the steel frame?

I'd give a lot more thought (and test riding) to the MTB as others above have mentioned.
This is what I would do here, mostly because this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Full sus? Buy carbon with a warranty from your LBS. Santa Cruz, Kona, Specialized, whatever.
Is spot on. The major MTB manufacturers really have full sus trail bikes dialed now. I don’t think you get bang for the buck by going custom here, and I haven’t really loved either of the Ti full sus bikes I’ve been able to get a ride on.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Titanium is a stupid material for an MTB frame.
How so? Some of the advantages of Ti may be lost with FS, but for rigid and hardtails, decreased weight, along with excellent elongation, tensile strength and fatigue strength characteristics make for comfortable and long lasting ride. Titanium is generally a great material for a MTB frame.