Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Anyone w/ a record 12 bike shoukd at least have 2 other road bikes. That´s a rule.

I don’t think that’s much of a stretch on this forum!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
That one was electronic, even more weird to get those into de spokes. With the mechanical you can think it could happen because of problems adjusting but the electronic rd is pretty much failproof.
It is but EPS still has one limit screw and that's the limit screw to prevent rear der from going into the spokes. None on front der or low limit..those are set electronically.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:05 PM

I'm not any further along than I was this time last week. Cervelo denied the warranty claim. Excel has offered a crash replacement from their stock, but it's still going to cost major $$$. They're also still dragging their feet getting the derailer back to Campy. Not really sure what to do at this point.

I'm stuck without a primary road bike. I missed the Tiple Bypass, and Courage Classic, and this rate I'll miss the Copper Triangle. At least my mtn bike is still going strong and the Leadville Stage Race starts this Friday.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossjunkee View Post

I'm stuck without a primary road bike. I missed the Tiple Bypass, and Courage Classic, and this rate I'll miss the Copper Triangle. At least my mtn bike is still going strong and the Leadville Stage Race starts this Friday.
that really stinks, i'm sorry to hear that.

if you're a serious roadie though, and have events like this planned, a back-up bike is almost a necessity, as you've seen, crap happens and you dont want a mechanical failure to sideline you from stuff you've trained for and look forward to.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that really stinks, i'm sorry to hear that.

if you're a serious roadie though, and have events like this planned, a back-up bike is almost a necessity, as you've seen, crap happens and you dont want a mechanical failure to sideline you from stuff you've trained for and look forward to.
A month ago I would've. I just sold all my 11 speed / rim brake bikes to go 100% disc and 12 speed. I can use / rent bikes from my local shop, but it isn't the same. This situation takes my motivation away, shouldn't, but it does.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossjunkee View Post
I'm not any further along than I was this time last week. Cervelo denied the warranty claim. Excel has offered a crash replacement from their stock, but it's still going to cost major $$$. They're also still dragging their feet getting the derailer back to Campy. Not really sure what to do at this point.

Buy another bike, sort out the mess with this thing, then this thing becomes your new backup bike. Winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:05 PM

Gears are overrated.
Just get a bike that will shift small enough and get the 3 points in place.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:23 PM

We need voting button;
- derailleur set screw
- castastrophic derailleur failure
- chain failure

My vote is number 3, which "should" be best case against Excel
Old 07-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Steel..what else??

Chain survived 500 miles and then failed?

RD blew up.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 PM

Yup, plate wasn't installed 100% perfect.

Be worth close inspection now
Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 PM

Sorry for your trouble but JRA is a tough one to warranty.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:57 PM

Sorry for the OP’s travails. Keep us posted on Excel’s response. I buy from them and want to know if they step up or not. Don’t threaten, but post your continuing experience on FB/FB bike group. Thanks Might help. Downside of carbon here, unfortunately. Take your new rig to Vecchios. They won’t miss anything.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:20 PM

The other thing: If I recall correctly you purchased the kit from Europe. I assume you contacted Campy NA regarding your issue, right?

I also recall that you may be the third person on this forum to experience this mystery failure with a rear derailleur right? Any chance you provided that documentation/info to them in support of your issue? If not it might help.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
The other thing: If I recall correctly you purchased the kit from Europe. I assume you contacted Campy NA regarding your issue, right?

I also recall that you may be the third person on this forum to experience this mystery failure with a rear derailleur right? Any chance you provided that documentation/info to them in support of your issue? If not it might help.
if you buy something whole-hog from an outlet, they're usually far more inclined to help you out in possibly-weird circumstances like these. common sense and whatnot.

sorry to be frank. nuance/relations is/are important. were this a situation where i had control of your outcome, i'd likely throw you a bone, even though you'd put me in the rather craptacular spot of not having control over the outcome (eg the product - third party bits).

think about the triage i (mr. customer service rep at XXX you're trying to get to pay for your stuff) go through: i don't know if you dropped the bike. i don't know if you bought the group from some dude in a van in the kroger parking lot. i don't know if the mechanic installed the chain wrong. i don't know if the derailleur arrived faulty (and i'm not in this chain of custody, because you bought this derailleur from some dude in a van). basically, anyone you're talking to about solving your problem is doing math. there's a 50/50 chance (okay, probably greater, given their anecdotal experiences) that this is YOUR ****up, and you're trying to cop a get-out-of-jail-free card. and even if it isn't YOUR ****up, no one knows who's really at fault, because this is a JRA incident long after the fact. is it the derailleur? is it a badly-installed chain (or whatever)? did the hanger come tweaked? who knows? who pays? there's no black box for campy rear derailleurs, afaik.

so (again), we're going to do some basic probability. it's probably your fault (even if it really isn't - or you think it isn't). and you brought us grey-market bits to install. now, if i'm a small LBS, i'll probably smile and tell you to go **** yourself (and likely go out of business in the next three years because i don't have the leverage to commit to the next scenario). but if i were a rather smart sales mgr at excel, which is likely at least 5x larger than your LBS by rev, i'd eat the cost of the frame, pull a favor at cervelo, and get you another one - hopefully with little financial impact on myself (so my VP of Finance or whatevs doesn't look at that giant red line on the monthly report and kill me over it). just so you stfu on the internet/friends and preach the glory of excel, even if your LTV to excel is probably dog**** because you brought grey-market campy parts to a big online retailer to install.

but hey, your broken closeout frame - by all means, continue to whine at the internet about it. i'd take whatever you can get, move on, and stop looking silly.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-23-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 PM

Damn that sucks. It looks like derailleurs was out of alignment and got caught by the wheel spokes.