Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 AM

Record 12 / Cervelo Failure

I'm in a situation I've never been in before. I purchased a brand new Cervelo R3 and Record 12 speed mechanical groupset. The entire build has less than 500 miles. I started the Triple Bypass last Saturday and everything was going fine until mile 8. My rear derailer brakes and pulls through the rear seat stay. I wasn't even shifting, literally JRA! The shop now thinks the frame is compromised.

I've contacted broken carbon for the repair, and the shop is contacting Cervelo about a potential warranty replacement. Could this be a Campy issue? Nobody seems to want to take ownership and I'm not sure of the path to take. I would completely take ownership if it was my fault, but I babied this bike! Need some friendly advice and guidance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg rear.jpeg (28.8 KB, 1155 views)
File Type: jpeg side.jpeg (39.6 KB, 1155 views)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM

I would think that if you bought it, brand new, from a Cervelo dealer, that Cervelo should be taking care of it.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossjunkee View Post
I'm in a situation I've never been in before. I purchased a brand new Cervelo R3 and Record 12 speed mechanical groupset. The entire build has less than 500 miles. I started the Triple Bypass last Saturday and everything was going fine until mile 8. My rear derailer brakes and pulls through the rear seat stay. I wasn't even shifting, literally JRA! The shop now thinks the frame is compromised.

I've contacted broken carbon for the repair, and the shop is contacting Cervelo about a potential warranty replacement. Could this be a Campy issue? Nobody seems to want to take ownership and I'm not sure of the path to take. I would completely take ownership if it was my fault, but I babied this bike! Need some friendly advice and guidance!
If it didn't go into the spokes, I have no idea how that could happen - nothing came up off the road and got jammed in there? Was it shifting fine the first 500mi? Did the bolt that attaches it to the hanger come loose?
Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Could the derailleur hanger have gotten bent? Who did the build? Were limit screws set properly? Did a link in the chain break and pull the derailleur with it?

I'd look at these things first before blaming cervelo or campagnolo.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I would think that if you bought it, brand new, from a Cervelo dealer, that Cervelo should be taking care of it.
Ditto, pics speak for themselves. If you were JRA and have the data to back that up (computer running?) show that and any decent LBS should take care of you.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 AM

That is weird. Sounds like a bent derailleur or something that had not been previously noticed? Let us know what happens...
Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 AM

I was literally JRA, chatting and enjoying the morning sunrise. Nothing jammed in there, road was perfectly clear, wasn't standing, wasn't shifting.

The frame was purchased from Excel, and the components were purchased from Pink Jersey. Excel built the bike. It was spinning like a clock until last Saturday morning. So far the shop hasn't offered to help in anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triple.jpg (78.9 KB, 1123 views)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Ditto, pics speak for themselves. If you were JRA and have the data to back that up (computer running?) show that and any decent LBS should take care of you.
Pics do speak for themselves. From the photos shown, it appears that the derailleur may have been fully extended, with the chain on the largest sprocket. In this position, if the derailleur was out of adjustment or if the hanger was bent, it becomes possible for the derailleur to get caught by the spokes or for the chain to fall off to the inside of the sprockets - both of which can cause the derailleur to be pulled back and up, and to snap off. I think it will be very difficult to prove that there was a component defect. And as far as the shop mis-assembling or mis-adjusting it - well, a lot of can happen to a bike in 500 miles, so it'll be tough to prove that the shop was at fault, either.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Pics do speak for themselves. From the photos shown, it appears that the derailleur may have been fully extended, with the chain on the largest sprocket. In this position, if the derailleur was out of adjustment or if the hanger was bent, it becomes possible for the derailleur to get caught by the spokes or for the chain to fall off to the inside of the sprockets - both of which can cause the derailleur to be pulled back and up, and to snap off. I think it will be very difficult to prove that there was a component defect. And as far as the shop mis-assembling or mis-adjusting it - well, a lot of can happen to a bike in 500 miles, so it'll be tough to prove that the shop was at fault, either.
I agree. I ultimately think the shop mechanic is at fault. But impossible to prove at this point. I hadn't spent much time in the largest on the back, if at all.

This picture is right before. I clearly was not out to set a land speed record up the first climb of 120 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg wave.jpeg (48.8 KB, 1102 views)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM

If Excel is not responding, I would contact Cervelo directly.

Then I would contact your credit card company.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
If Excel is not responding, I would contact Cervelo directly.

Then I would contact your credit card company.

They're responding, but not taking any type of ownership at this point. Sucks.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM

What gear were you in?

Agreed with Mark McM, going to be tough to prove its purely an install defect if it's been rolling along for 500 miles.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
What gear were you in?

Agreed with Mark McM, going to be tough to prove its purely an install defect if it's been rolling along for 500 miles.
Largest cog on the back, so 32. I think that was the first time I pedaled in the lowest gear for any length of time.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossjunkee View Post
Largest cog on the back, so 32. I think that was the first time I pedaled in the lowest gear for any length of time.
Big/big or in the granny gear?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Any CU photos of the rear mech so we can see where it broke? Any damage to the drive side spokes?

Tim