Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 PM

OT: remember those threads about VW Sportwagen

I like mine a lot and thought that model was doing well among my bros in the U.S.

Maybe not:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/u-...8-golf-models/
Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 PM

It may actually be doing OK in sales, but the Euro folks are ahead of us in terms of moving to electrics and hybrids.

Love mine. Now that Spring and warmer weather is here the mileage is back into the 30's for in-town, better on the highway... and still is fun to drive.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:02 PM

I feel like most people buying a new VW wagon in the States are opting for the AllTrack. Article doesn’t indicate a fate for that model, just the Sportwagen.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM

MmMMMmmm.
Actually, my understanding is that most US buyers are opting for the mid level Sportwagen. Automatic, panoramic sunroof, Mtex interior, no nav. And that VW makes less $ on that model than the base one.

Would be happy if they decided to bring in the upscale R level Sportwagen they sell overseas. Not base, not cheap, but....fun!
Old 05-29-2019, 04:00 AM

That's a damn shame because my base S TSI is the best car I've ever had.

The ease of getting more power out of the thing is simply awesome too. I spent $1k on the following: used jb4, used is20 874L revision with 7k miles, and new BFI mounts. What a hoot it is to drive a stock looking wagon with around 270whp
Old 05-29-2019, 04:08 AM
bykhed

This rumor has been circulating for a while on vwvortex.

I almost never see any Golf (wagon or hatch) unless it's a GTI.

Alltracks are plenty though.

Such a shame the American market is.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:30 AM

When we turned our 2014 Golf TDi back in (sniff), we got a 2017 Golf Sportwagen - just a base model TSi, I think. we actually felt bad about giving VW more business after what they did, but when we looked around, it seemed they had the only thing going in that space.

Then the other day, we noticed while watching Unforgotten on the toob that the coppers were riding around in some sort of Ford wagon with the same basic size/shape as the Sportwagen. So maybe VW doesn't own the practical-yet-stylish-and-not-gargantuan segment of the car market in Europe. It's just that the market here in the States is so infected with the pickup truck/SUV virus that it keeps out other cars like that.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:07 AM

Love my '14 JSW

I bought one of the buy back jetta sportwagens a few months ago in a manual trans. It was a bit under powered so I got some mods to the exhaust and a ECU tune. It really woke up the TDI and the highway MPG went up. I am getting upper 40's on the highway at 70 mph.
It is now pushing 178HP and around 350 pounds of torque. Since PA does not have an emissions on diesels most of the emissions stuff was replaced with aftermarket parts.
It now runs great and the power is acceptable. A larger turbo and injectors and better clutch will be my next move to get the power over 200whp and the torque over 400.
I like wagons and the options are limited these days as suv's took over the segment of the auto industry. I do think wagons will be making a resurgent in the next few years.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:06 AM
bykhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I bought one of the buy back jetta sportwagens a few months ago in a manual trans. It was a bit under powered so I got some mods to the exhaust and a ECU tune. It really woke up the TDI and the highway MPG went up. I am getting upper 40's on the highway at 70 mph...
I also bought a buy back CPO JSW with the 6-speed at the end of February. I've driven 10,000 miles already. Highway MPG is 40-42 hand calculated, even with a hitch rack and bikes. Previous JSW I sold back was a solid 46 without even thinking twice.

Once the CPO warranty runs out I really would love to explore my tuning options. NYS doesn't do emissions either, but 2 of the 3 readiness sensors on the OBDII inspection need to be operational in order to pass from what I understand.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 AM

Surprising....

I mostly loved my MKVII GTI but for some reason could not find a driving position in it that didn't kill my bad knee. So even though it was paid off I traded it in this past weekend on a wonderful BMW 340i M Sport that I can drive pain free.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Surprised VW makes a 'wagon' at all, considering the US driver's love affair with little to giganto SUVs..Tiguan, Atlas..altho, in spite of the US makers saying "no more sedans", VW offering a new..sedan..Arteon.....

https://www.vw.com/models/arteon/sec...d=&product_id=
Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 AM

that's interesting

I had an 2003 325i and that's how I felt about that car. The seats were too narrow for my butt and I could never ever get my clutch foot and the clutch to be operated comfortably. Shortest lived car ever in my fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Surprising....

I mostly loved my MKVII GTI but for some reason could not find a driving position in it that didn't kill my bad knee. So even though it was paid off I traded it in this past weekend on a wonderful BMW 340i M Sport that I can drive pain free.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I had an 2003 325i and that's how I felt about that car. The seats were too narrow for my butt and I could never ever get my clutch foot and the clutch to be operated comfortably. Shortest lived car ever in my fleet.
We must be built differently because my 02 328i was a fan-farging-tastic car to drive.

Ditto with my 04 X3 with it's 6MT

I think my next vehicle may be a Benz or BMW wagon. Older. Fewer electronics.

M
Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM

Loved my 03 325CI

My 325 CI was a great car. The most comfy seats ever and the handling was out of this world. In the wet I could not disengage the traction control tho.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 AM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Surprised VW makes a 'wagon' at all, VW offering a new..sedan..Arteon.....

https://www.vw.com/models/arteon/sec...d=&product_id=
2.0L Turbo Arteon, from $35,845
Engine: 2.0L Turbo 268HP 31*Hwy 21 City
SE (limited availability)

The SE (base model, cheapest) includes:
•LED headlights
•VW Car-Net® App-Connect
•Blind Spot Monitor & Front Assist

So when you add dealer prep, st taxes, destination charges and any thing else the dealer can add on, over $40K with a 72000 mile limited warranty, yea sounds like a deal.... It'll be fun till the motors blows up.