Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 11:31 AM

"You can also run 28-42mm tires with tubes, and make sure you only run UST approved tire for tubeless use."

So, you have to run Mavic tires only if you want to run tubeless? Or do they just "have to" say that?
Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
from what i know about the sale of these wheels in talking with industry folk..someone put an extra 0 on an order form when mavic was getting the wheels made. so they have wayyyy too many in stock
Good to know.

And I am sure that dark brown hubs and logos are not helping sales of the rim or disc brake model. Dark brown is an acquired taste.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrizzwald View Post
"You can also run 28-42mm tires with tubes, and make sure you only run UST approved tire for tubeless use."

So, you have to run Mavic tires only if you want to run tubeless? Or do they just "have to" say that?
You can run any conventional (tube type) clincher tire. I run standard clinchers/tubes on other Mavic UST wheels.

Greg
Old 03-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

https://planetcyclery.com/mavic-allr...m_source=zaius
Would happily pay $20 to support Excel of PlanetCyclery

But...

For my money, handbuilts just make so much more sense for all-road applications than factory wheels with proprietary spokes.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

But...

The link to the wheelset at Excell seems to have now vanished, after I got my order in for one pair.

The Planet Cyclery deal includes in stock and free 2-day shipping, so I ordered a pair from them as well!

Stock showed (4), then (2) only minutes later, and that was before I put my order in, so maybe there is one pair still remaining.

$279, just wow.

I'm hoping that I will like the 30mm Mavic tires (the smallest size that Mavic paired with these rims). I should be able to ride almost literally anywhere.

Thanks for the link pdmtong!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
The link to the wheelset at Excell seems to have now vanished, after I got my order in for one pair.

The Planet Cyclery deal includes in stock and free 2-day shipping, so I ordered a pair from them as well!

Stock showed (4), then (2) only minutes later, and that was before I put my order in, so maybe there is one pair still remaining.

$279, just wow.

I'm hoping that I will like the 30mm Mavic tires (the smallest size that Mavic paired with these rims). I should be able to ride almost literally anywhere.

Thanks for the link pdmtong!
Here's the Excel link for those that want to go that way
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=13&minor=4

I have purchased small stuff from Planet before. When I was mulling some campagnolo brakes they were helpful and willing to actually grab the part from inventory to confirm the exact year and model number. note that campagnolo north america WILL NOT warranty anything campagnolo bought from Planet. so beware on wheels if that makes you nervous

I get that many would prefer hand builts on C2 or C2+. Go for it! Pay 2x a much! Be happy!

These mavics have the improved hub internals and come with good enough tires. heck, the tubes alone are worth $8 each with the price of tubes these days. Its 65% off ...!

dddd...glad you scored and you are welcome...
Old 03-08-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

But...

For my money, handbuilts just make so much more sense for all-road applications than factory wheels with proprietary spokes.
When I placed my order the other day with Excel they were "in-stock" but when they actually "processed" my order mine show as "back ordered unit 3/15". I called today and the person I spoke with said the buyer is the only one who knows if they will get more in stock, consumers cannot speak with buyers, he did not have time to check with the buyer, and was overall non-committal. It was very unlike customer service I have received from Excel in the past so I am leaving my order and will take the chance that they may, or may not, show up some day.

I do not want to take the chance that if for some reason I need to return them I will pay a 10% re-stock fee with Planet Cyclery even if they are still in new condition.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:34 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
When I placed my order the other day with Excel they were "in-stock" but when they actually "processed" my order mine show as "back ordered unit 3/15". I called today and the person I spoke with said the buyer is the only one who knows if they will get more in stock, consumers cannot speak with buyers, he did not have time to check with the buyer, and was overall non-committal. It was very unlike customer service I have received from Excel in the past so I am leaving my order and will take the chance that they may, or may not, show up some day.

I do not want to take the chance that if for some reason I need to return them I will pay a 10% re-stock fee with Planet Cyclery even if they are still in new condition.
That's understandable...since the $28 would be on top of your return shipping cost. I would do the same if I wasn't convinced these would work for me.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
That's understandable...since the $28 would be on top of your return shipping cost. I would do the same if I wasn't convinced these would work for me.
Sheepishly shares that he ordered 2 so the return fee would be $55.80 in addition to shipping. If you read my OP, my plan is to have one with 700x28 slicks and one with 700x32/35 knobbies for my mid-reach brake bike and swap them depending on rides.

And, Excel has always done right be me so far...
Old 03-08-2019, 03:20 PM

Interesting that Mavic refers to the tire casing as 120tpi.
Either that is extremely fine (as in 3x120) or very coarse (as in 3x40) weave.
Then there is another wrap-over layer that runs bead-to-bead, not sure if it's a fine/slick HD layer or a gator-type open weave(?).

They suggest very low pressure for the 30mm tires on i22mm rims, and I'm wondering how slow that might feel out on the road.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:30 PM

I'm seriously considering these as well, but I have a question:

Will my Shimano BR-R650 calipers work with the 30mm external width of these rims? Excel's listing for BR-R650's says 26mm max. Are they being too conservative? What road bike caliper brake can take a 30mm rim?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbf View Post
I'm seriously considering these as well, but I have a question:

Will my Shimano BR-R650 calipers work with the 30mm external width of these rims? Excel's listing for BR-R650's says 26mm max. Are they being too conservative? What road bike caliper brake can take a 30mm rim?
Where are you seeing 30mm eternal rim width? (please link or post a pic)

According to the Excel website: "Rim spec: 22mm internal, 26mm external, 21mm asymmetrical profile height"

They come with 30mm tires; is that what you mean? Almost all mid-reach brakes (r-600, r-650, tektro, TRP RG957, Velo Orange, etc.) will fit a 32mm tire or 28mm tire with fender.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 03-08-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Yes, my bad. Went back to read the specs and you are correct! I was considering building up a set of Belgiums, but I cannot justify it if these are really available. Pre-order submitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Where are you seeing 30mm eternal rim width? (please link or post a pic)

According to the Excel website: "Rim spec: 22mm internal, 26mm external, 21mm asymmetrical profile height"

They come with 30mm tires; is that what you mean? Almost all mid-reach brakes (r-600, r-650, tektro, TRP RG957, Velo Orange, etc.) will fit a 32mm tire or 28mm tire with fender.

Last edited by jbf; 03-08-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:18 PM

So will other tubeless tires work with these wheels? Need some wheels for my Ritchey Swiss Cross that I want to throw some Gravel Kings 38c on
Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
So will other tubeless tires work with these wheels? Need some wheels for my Ritchey Swiss Cross that I want to throw some Gravel Kings 38c on
I don't know how well of a fit will result without a wrap or two of tape on there, since the two standards (UST and TCS) do not relate accurately to one another.

These appear to be hookless as I looked at some non-photographic illustrations from Mavic, so having UST standards in both rim and tire should allow a more-reliable minimum blow-off resistance without inconsistencies in rim preparation requirements or mounting difficulty. The hookless designs are considerably more durable in theory at equivalent rim weights, so ideal for running tubeless at low pressures.