Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 AM

I don't see why a 25mm tire wouldn't work. The Hed Belgium Plus rim is 25mm inside width, and they're OK running 23mm tires, according to Hed. The Mavic rims are only 22mm inside width.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I don't see why a 25mm tire wouldn't work. The Hed Belgium Plus rim is 25mm inside width, and they're OK running 23mm tires, according to Hed. The Mavic rims are only 22mm inside width.
actually Belgium+ is 21mm internal, 25mm external. Mavic AllRoad Elite is 22mm internal; not sure on external, but guessing 26mm.

you do have a point though: how much of this is just Mavic covering their *ss?
Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM

One consideration here is that Mavic prescribes a maximum of 65psi be used with these rims, it's printed on the rims.

But that likely reflects the very much higher casing tension that occurs at same pressure in a wider tire.
A 25mm tire for instance only has one half of the casing tension that a 50mm tire has at the same pressure, and the "generic" recommendation of 65psi max would appear to be a simplification that covers all tires within the very wide range of tire sizes that Mavic prescribes for use on these rims.

I pumped my "30mm" tires to their rated 80psi initially, just to seat the beads, before I noticed the 65psi max printing on the rim.

I suspect that using the narrowest of tires on a wide rim increases the chance of the tire bead burping when used at the lowest possible pressures (below which the tire tends to fold over in hard cornering).
I also suspect that anyone running 25mm road tires on these rims would be using much higher pressures than that.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:00 AM

Bumping this old thread because these wheels are now $200:

https://www.planetcyclery.com/catalo...m_source=zaius
Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 PM

I don't have a rim brake bike for these right now and I bought them... king of all suckers for a deal.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:29 PM

Just opened mine up from Planet Cycle. $200 for new wide wheels, tires, valves, sealant for my Cannondale caadx.

Doubt I will get the same mileage as I have gotten off my velomax circuits they are replacing...Have to have 20,000+ miles without being touched
Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 PM

At the price these were I bought two sets. Very impressed with the look of them and all that was included. Unbeatable for the price IMO.

Now I need to find a frameset for the extra pair...Anybody holding a canti or mid reach bike with 54-55cm top tube?

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLS View Post
Just opened mine up from Planet Cycle. $200 for new wide wheels, tires, valves, sealant for my Cannondale caadx.

Doubt I will get the same mileage as I have gotten off my velomax circuits they are replacing...Have to have 20,000+ miles without being touched
I took advantage of the same deal (posted it in the PSA thread), and put 85 miles on them today, with the Yksion Allroad tires provided. They seem pretty bomber and ride nicely. The tires felt good on the 8 miles of dirt road, even at a really high pressure of 80psi, but don’t roll as well on pavement as G-Ones or G-One Speeds. I also liked Specialized Trigger Pro a lot compared to these. But about the wheels, I don’t really bond with new equipment until after a few hundred miles at least, but first impressions are very good, and they are very good looking wheels IMO. And for $199 (shipped!), I am far from complaining.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Administrator

i have about 500 miles on a set of these now and they indeed seem like very good wheels for the $$.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Well that was easily the best well-spent $200 ever on 'bike stuff' or anything else for that matter. I love that filling up the syringe is exactly 1/2 the sealant bottle, making the process a no brainer. I started out @ 50 psi at both ends but let out some as the first ride went on. At 40-45 psi the wheels started to hum in perfect harmony with my grunting and panting...I'm totally impressed.
For $200, it was a toss-up btwn getting a set of these or having a 20 min lapdance...glad I got the wheels.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:54 PM

Before I pull the new tags off my Mavic All Road Elite (rim brake) wheelset, I’m curious about opinions from those who are using them. I will be using them primarily on pavement.

Also, will I have any issues running Compass Stampede Pass (32 mm) extra light tires with tubes (the tire specs are specific about rim compatibility: “Rene Herse tires are designed for rims that meet ETRTO standards: sidewall with hooks; G height = 5.2 – 6.5 mm)?

Thoughts??
Old 09-18-2019, 05:49 PM

I really like mine. Running them with Vittoria Corsa 25s and Veloflex Master 25s. The old Vittoria Pave 24 tire did not fit. 28s obviously work too.

Anybody also own Ksyriums that can compare the two wheels? Wondering how the K Elites are (with the steel spokes) compared to this wheel.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:38 PM

Are these still available anywhere for the $200 price?
Old 09-18-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacant View Post
For $200, it was a toss-up btwn getting a set of these or having a 20 min lapdance...glad I got the wheels.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Are these still available anywhere for the $200 price?
I ended up buying three sets over a period of time, but they disappeared from the market at those prices some months ago.

They were a steal at $300, I paid a total of $780 for my three pair.

I'm still on my first set of tires and the original sealant with one booster injection two months back. Still no flats and the tread still has far to go.

I run the "30mm" (actual 34mm) tires at 50-55psi and the rims have warnings not to exceed 65psi.