Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM

2 links, one 11spd chain

This past winter I upgraded to 11spd. I calculated things wrong, the chain was short, so I used the initially discarded 11spd extra links back in the chain. I used a proper 11 spd link for this hack, and now I have 2 links in a chain. links are 5-6 inches apart. Things worked, no issues, both links are new and from same brand.
Things were smooth and I forgot about it. 2 weeks or so ago the drivetrain developed an irregular “click” on each revolution, then go quiet, only to resume within a few pedal strokes. I checked the links for roughness or sticky stuff, but everything seemed fine. Checked pedals, bb (which has new bearings), so I think it’s the chain. Thing is, I feel this click, so something’s rubbing a bit off there. At the same, I suppose recumbents and tandems use 2 or more links, yes?
Anyway, any horrible risk in this? What would be the potential problems? Aren’t 2 links better/stronger than 1?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 PM

I did it on a Ritchey Cross bike 10 sp that was mostly road but some off road. No issues.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Can you post photos of what you mean by links? Master links / removeable links?

Generally having two of them isn't the best idea but shouldn't really cause any issues.

If you have friends with an 11s bike you could swap the chain to another one, or buy a new chain to test with.

Drive train noises can be the most annoying thing in the world to diagnose and fix though. Best of luck.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
This past winter I upgraded to 11spd. I calculated things wrong, the chain was short, so I used the initially discarded 11spd extra links back in the chain. I used a proper 11 spd link for this hack, and now I have 2 links in a chain. links are 5-6 inches apart. Things worked, no issues, both links are new and from same brand.
Things were smooth and I forgot about it. 2 weeks or so ago the drivetrain developed an irregular “click” on each revolution, then go quiet, only to resume within a few pedal strokes. I checked the links for roughness or sticky stuff, but everything seemed fine. Checked pedals, bb (which has new bearings), so I think it’s the chain. Thing is, I feel this click, so something’s rubbing a bit off there. At the same, I suppose recumbents and tandems use 2 or more links, yes?
Anyway, any horrible risk in this? What would be the potential problems? Aren’t 2 links better/stronger than 1?
KMC links? If so, I’ve had a couple get ‘clicky’ but they were fine, just a noise. Having 2 isn’t a problem.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Every time I have done 2 kmc links I have had some sort of thing, a click and buzz that I could feel everytime I pedaled. That said the links were very close to each other because I was trying to add links after I cut chain too short. Always works great when installed but after a few hundred miles, both times I have done it I have just taken it out and bought a a new chain.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM

The sync chain on our tandem has two KMC quick links approximately 12 inches apart. No noise, no problems with two strong riders putting lots of power down.

Greg
Old 06-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Doesn't Shimano have a chain pin for 11 speed chains? I'd use one of those vs. 2 quick links.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Doesn't Shimano have a chain pin for 11 speed chains? I'd use one of those vs. 2 quick links.
Agree. I find that measuring a chain that includes a quick link the chain will measure differently than the rest of the chain, more wear. Now add two and your new chain could measure worn.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have heard the opposite. It is stronger to use 2 quick links than to reinsert a pin. I have 2 quick links on my SSCX chain, raced it all year without issue as I made the same mistake of cutting it too short the first time around.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM

2 links, one 11spd chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I have heard the opposite. It is stronger to use 2 quick links than to reinsert a pin. I have 2 quick links on my SSCX chain, raced it all year without issue as I made the same mistake of cutting it too short the first time around.

I would think it's just the opposite; quick links are weaker than a chain pin. Shimano resisted quick links for years and only recently uses one with the 11 speed chain. I've personally had quick links fail. Never had one of those push in chain pins fail. I'm talking about the special Shimano chain pin used to join a chain; not reusing an existing chain pin that you've pushed out with a rivet tool.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Descent fitness

When you say it’s “irregular“ and “with each revolution” do you mean your pedals are in the same position each time it clicks? If this is the case, it is not your chain unless you are riding in a 52 ring with a 104 link chain.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
He's talking about the special pins Shimano supplies with chains with the snap-off guide. You should never reinstall a factory pin once you push it out.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM

I say "irregular" because the click shows up on different spots during the pedal revolution, then goes quiet, then resumes. That holds true for all gear configurations. and since the connecting links are close to each other, say 5-6 links, i figured had to be the chain. UPDATE: it must be the chain as one of the links is the KMC connex, and the other sram (sram 11 spd chain). The connex looks a bit burlier than the sram link. The bike has been recently washed and lubed, so it's a very quiet buzz outside of the click every so often. I decided to live with it.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
When you say it’s “irregular“ and “with each revolution” do you mean your pedals are in the same position each time it clicks? If this is the case, it is not your chain unless you are riding in a 52 ring with a 104 link chain.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM

What's about the quick link from Shimano?

Officially you can't reuse it.
But do you still reuse it??

Last edited by tony_mm; 06-12-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
That's one of the tests I use to distinguish between wheel, crank, and chain issues. If it happens even when I'm not pedaling, its a wheel issue. If it happens every pedal revolution (and at the same orientation in the pedal revolution), its a crank related issue. And if happens roughly once every 2 revolutions in the big chainring and once every 3 revolutions in the small chainring, its a chain issue.