Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 AM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
some people are so devoted to Campy that they would rather walk than ride Shimano, and torch their bike before putting Sram on it.
errr, long time Campy bloke who just purchased a complete new bicycle (a first since '86) with Shimano Ultegra group.

However, the new bicycle is in the correct order of all things bicycles........beater bike.

Still, I know I'm going to hell....................

Regarding SRAM, you are correct.

So my vote, keep the SR...........and Bora's are the best.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:02 AM

i had Campy 2015 mech, EPS v2 and v3 and now eTap..
in few words: compared to EPS, eTap S-U-C-K-S

Campy is 100x times better. the EPS is precise, fast and battery runs long. it takes a real effort to mess up a shift with EPS.

and yeah eTap is easier to install, but infinitely much harder to set up for crisp shifting.
The FD is so sensitive to angle and height adjustment and takes few iteration to get it right,

Please do keep Campy. eTap is a hype. Its good but nowhere close to Campy performance.

Aesthetically also Campy is so much more pleasant. the line, the carbon shells..eTap rear derailleur is clunky and so are the shifters.

I think ppl that come from mechanical, they will love eTap. But for ppl coming from EPS, eTap is a disappointment. Hope it helps
Old 12-15-2017, 09:15 AM

Used both EPS and Campy mechanical, big Campy fanboi.

eTap kills everything else electronic imo. Dead simple to shift, works great and has given me zero issues outta the gate riding it regularly the last 4 months.

I love Campy mechanical, but I may go eTap on everything. It's that good.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 AM

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Good to see the "regulars" post here which I do take their info seriously.

The "Game Changer" phrase is what I gathered from reading reviews just on etap.

Maybe its just me but from reading all the posts in this thread it seems split? Setup is not something I weigh just out right performance while using the group. Hmm still thinking....
Old 12-15-2017, 09:25 AM

My question to you is this:

why are you wanting to be talked into considering E-tap?

What specifically are you looking for out of the change? Or is it just to scratch the itch that we call get from time to time, to try something new and perhaps fun?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:26 AM

etap is so friggin' cool.

advice: ignore the internet and go play with it in person.

that'll tell you whether you like it or not.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Good to see the "regulars" post here which I do take their info seriously.

The "Game Changer" phrase is what I gathered from reading reviews just on etap.

Maybe its just me but from reading all the posts in this thread it seems split? Setup is not something I weigh just out right performance while using the group. Hmm still thinking....
If set up and aesthetics ( personal, of course ) are not a factor, then stick with what you have. Etap will not perform better than any other high level group.

What you will get is a very clean looking bike. You will never have to worry about taking the bike apart if a wire comes loose and if you have a Garmin unit, the interface is seamless. You also will be able to carry an extra ( very small, very inexpensive) battery with you if one dies on you.

Is it a game changer, no. Does it solve issues that wired electronic shifting has, yes. Is it worth it if you already have a really great group, probably not.

Personally, after many 1000’s of miles with ETap over 5 bikes, I can truly say that I cannot believed wired electronic groups should have ever been designed, produced, sold. In my mind ( and what do I know ) and after using wired electronic on many bikes over many ,many thousands of miles, I truly believe wireless is far superior, it just solves so many issues over wired.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 AM
formerly Landshark_98

my arthritic thumbs were getting killed by my beloved Campy and I sold it all. Dura Ace 9100 mech works great. Just set up a bike with etap and will do another one soon. Works fine so far. Like the clean look yada yada.

Must disagree with earlier poster re etap sucking compared to EPS. In my experience none of the top end groups suck; quite the opposite.

But for my thumbs I'd probably still be on Campy due to inertia but little else.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Etap is definitely cool - that's why you see it all over the internet. I tried it after 9070 which I loathed. Coming from that, I appreciated the lack of failure points hidden inside my frame. I work in technology and riding a bike is supposed to be the opposite side of the spectrum for me - being stranded because of a software issue or a wire coming unplugged was maddening and made me not even like riding that bike (electronic only C59).

Etap is easier to setup than anything else I've built... but you don't setup your bike every day. You shift it. The shift quality, in my opinion, is inferior to basically every group I've ridden that wasn't SRAM (which is where I started and was loyal to for years). If I were to build a digi-bike, it would be etap because of the aforementioned wiring gremlins and I appreciated the more decisive feedback from the shifters (I've never mis-shifted anything as much as I did 9070).

If you don't want to see shift cables - buy etap (I actually believe a cluttered di2/eps build (which is most of them) looks worse than traditional cables). If your priority is quality of front shifting or speed of rear shifting - don't.

Edit: After doing 9000 > 9070 > Etap > 9100 > SR in the last ~18 months... I just took delivery of more 9100 last night. So that's where I sit.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:44 AM

^^Very good points^^^

Question, Will etap work well with the Zed2 crank on the Look?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
^^Very good points^^^

Etap appears to play well with everything. I use a Dura Ace crankset, others have used Campy. I actually prefer the DA chain and cassette over the SRAM equivalent. I feel its quieter, crisper and faster. People have said the same in regards to Campy gear as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
^^Very good points^^^

Used mine for four months with a Campy Chorus UT crank. You'd think it came stock that way. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 AM

It works in a fish tank.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:17 AM
aka RAEKWON

I am with SocalSteve.

I really think campy and sram missed the mark not coming out with wireless. The technology has been there and they could have easily developed it and probably would have been better than etap.

I know people will say, who cares about a few wires but I would have had 0 interest in electric group set if it wasn't for the fact that it was wireless. That is the beauty of it imo.

At least now with shimano you can get the hidden bar end brain but I really dislike the look of the control box zip tied to the stem... that scrams prototype to me.

As far as shifting goes, I have read dozens of reviews and for the most part people love etap. The best reviews however are of di2, the fastest, most precise, great battery life ect.... only downside of di2 is the lever shifting, a pain when you have gloves. EPS I have heard mix reviews of. V3 definitely seems like a great upgrade though with how the battery charging works.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
^^Very good points^^^

This reminded me that I bought my etap group from a local friend who bought it from a guy who bought it to use on his Look 695. It did not work properly with the 695 so he sold it.