Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Classics Fan

Memorial Day Weekend Ride Reports

I'll start it off. Got in 37 miles today in Vermont (towns of Norwich, Thetford and Strafford) -- went up New Boston Road, and probably got in 4 or 5 miles of dirt over the course of the ride.

Rode by the former Elizabeth Mine (a copper mine that began operating in the 1800's and continued up until 1957). It is now a superfund site as it was identified as the source of local stream pollution. wiki article. The more interesting thing (from a cycling perspective) is that the road next to the mine seemed to be a magnetic hill (is downhill, but gives the sensation that you're accelerating up hill)... but maybe it was just due to dehydration!

Worked my way from Strafford back to Union Village and then climbed Academy Hill. From the bottom of the hill, I could make out a faint sound... could it be? Yes, as I climbed the steep lower section, I could make it out more clearly, bag pipe music! As I climbed around the corner, and passed a cemetery on the climb, there was a bag piper in full dress playing a haunting song as mourners worked their way into the cemetery. Not sure if it was a recent burial or a memorial day related event. Certainly surreal to be climbing to the sound of bag pipes.

Here's a pic from New Boston Road. (Similar to this pic from August 2012... though the leaf cover clearly indicates different season)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I rode an hour on the trainer on Friday night, 55 miles yesterday on the Hampsten, and just over an hour today on my MTB. Managed to fall while jamming my rear wheel between two rocks this evening and effectively detensioned all the spokes in my rear wheel. Taco!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 PM

Met up with a friend for a soggy 30 miles yesterday. He and his wife just had twins, so it's hard to get together most weekends.

Went out for 45 today. Early morning spin with some mid ride coffee. Woulda been nice to not have mud in my legs all day.

With any luck I'll get out with my wife tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 PM
VAV

No biking for me this weekend but nothing better than a good hike with some extra weight to strengthen the legs

Old 05-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Hampco ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
54 miles and 5000 ft of climbing from Oxford, CT to Chappaqua. Florida Hill Rd up from Route 7 in Ridgefield is my new favorite hill.

Lake Zoar

CT dirt

Dirt a la StR

Hampco in Ridgefield

Turtle shed means only an hour to go

Fancher Road
Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Retired!

Typically my Mukluk sits idle this time of year but I got an itch to head back down to the river and play around on the trails there. What a blast! It's a little different feel with 25+ psi in my tires than the typical 4-6 psi I use during the winter months.

This ride also gave me a chance to try out my Saris Freedom bike rack. I chose it for its optional extra large foot-beds to accommodate my mukluk's fatter tires. I'm really liking it but I have one concern...it would be so simple for anybody with a wrench to remove the one bolt holding the rack to the hitch and walk off with it. I wonder if anybody else bothers worrying about this with their bike racks or is it just me?

Kevin g
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Engine problems

Still too much snow up high-- getting in some road riding and endless (but enjoyable) loops around our low elevation open space trails. Doing a long walk in the Uinta Mountains in a couple months (the Highline Trail, if anyone cares or is familiar) and thus am doing more hiking than in years past. Here a pic of my hiking buddy and me on top of a local hill called Iron Mountain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1702.jpg (123.3 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by dogdriver; 05-26-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Hit "save" but meant to hit "attachments"
Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 AM

Finishing my coffee this morning and contemplating which bike to ride... I've ridden my Fargo more than my Legend this year so far. Today though I think it'll be the Legend for a couple hours.
When I get a Domane it's gonna make days like this even harder. Perhaps a 3-sided coin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-26-2014, 09:36 AM

62 mi / 3900 ft elev on Sat.
69 mi / 5400 ft elev yesterday
Sorry, no pics.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:14 AM

The beaches here in St Pete have been totally insane. Angry drivers circling for 20 mins looking for parking spaces and rednecks towing their boats to the intercostal with a tall boy between their knees. And where do we all decide to ride to? The beach. Dumb. At one point yesterday we were actually passing cars on one stretch of the beach because the tourist lookee-loos couldn't do the speed limit.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM

About 45 miles out to Montauk and back from Watermill on my Daccordi yesterday. About as nice weather as I could dream of asking for.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Great Weekend!!

Got in 47 miles Saturday morning with some friends from Chicago here for the weekend. Did another casual 42 with them on Sunday and a fast 80 miles this morning. All in all the best weekend for riding this season. Rode along the Grand River and Lake Michigan for a while the last two days. Finally some great weather here. Want to give a shout out to Tim and Kathy from Chicago. Kathy is 63 years young and very fast. Had no trouble hanging with the faster groups this weekend. Her nephew Tim is just plain fast and can pretty much drop everyone if he wants. Great people. Both ride sweet Colnagos too. Kathy's is a C59 with Super Record EPS. Stunning bike to say the least. Hope you all had a great weekend too. Matthew.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:02 PM

Ride from Oakland to Palo Alto on the Bay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 12:14 PM

No pics to share but I got 35mi on some roads I haven't been on yet this year on Saturday morning. Sunday morning with the help of a friend, I finished up the Ritchey Logic frame I bought from a member here over the winter. First shake-down ride yesterday was great! The bike was what I had hoped, and good company was a nice change from my usual solo rides.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:53 PM

Couple of mtb rides in the White Mountains

Got the kids on a ride but they were too nervous to ride the bridge!