Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 10:16 AM

Any Twin City locals?

I think me and the fam will be heading up to the Twin Cities sometime in June/July, but this will be the first time I can bring my bike. Does anyone have any good routes within 50 miles of Chanhassen? They can be gravel or road. Along those lines, are there any nice bike shops I should stop by?
Old 01-14-2020, 01:11 PM
3D

I used to live in the twin cities back around the time the megamall erected. The shop I rode with has been gone. We rode Macalester through highland park Fort Snelling, Minnehaha park, by the airport then mall of America down along the river then over the river east up the other side Eagan.. Loop back up. Well before tracking GPS and ride tracking lol.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:06 PM

I would visit Grand Performance.

http://www.gpbicycles.com/

Hopefully gomango (Grady) will check in with some route advice.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:22 PM

I lived in the Twin Cities for six years. If you're staying in Chanhassen, you've got a million good(ish) routes heading west. There are good routes around the lake. If you go east from Chanhassen, you get into nightmare suburbs; if you go west you start to get past the exurbs and into some pretty wide open space (from Chanhassen if I were you I'd just ride up Shadywood Road through the Lake, then hit Watertown Road and take that West for as long as I feel like, then turn south in I dunno Watertown or wherever and head back through Waconia or thereabouts). Plus there's a lot of nice riding down by the Minnesota River, especially west of Flying Cloud Airport. And, there are some great dirt trails, often sandy but totally cxable, along long stretches of it ("the river bottoms"). there are also good routes south of saint paul through mendota, inver grove heights, eagan, grey cloud island.

if you visit one bike shop, make it Grand Performance without a doubt.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I would visit Grand Performance.

http://www.gpbicycles.com/

Hopefully gomango (Grady) will check in with some route advice.
First of all, Grand Performance is a very cool shop.

Nice guys, boat loads of knowledge, strong inventory, racing pedigree etc.

Best of all, we live two minutes from the shop. Lucky me.

Nooneline speaks the truth. Routes up the wazoo.

As for routes, I mainly ride gravel, but I'll go anywhere.

@op Toss me a pm when you are ready. Happy to ride with you or just point out rides.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:47 PM
3D

Grand Performance was where Steve Hed started making wheels in the back of the shop.

There's also Free Wheels co-op on the west bank that host rides.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:27 PM

Another former TC guy, I’d check our Angry Catfish if you want to grab a coffee and donut while checking out a fun shop. Grand Performance as mentioned is a great shop and many of us raced for their club at one time or another and Dan is good people.
If riding out of Chanhassen, head west as nooneline mentioned. East is Eden Prairie and Bloomington which IMO are not fun to ride through.

If you can find The route for the Dirty Lemming on ride with GPS, that’s a fun route and lots of gravel that starts in Watertown which is out a ways but not horrible.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 PM

Chanhassen is a good starting point. Victoria is one of the best kept secrets in the metro. I either ride lake Minnetonka from there or just simply head west and see where the day takes me. Beautiful area, solid rolling hills, and well manicured roads.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:34 AM

I like the guys at Gear West which is north of Lake Minnetonka but agree Grand Performance is a good shop to visit. While I haven't been there yet the Angry Catfish is popular as they have a coffee shop where riders pit stop. That is in Minneapolis near the popular commuting Greenway trail system. It is also nearby the Mississippi River not too far from where the Minnesota River meets up to it. Riding along the river parkways roads along the Mississippi is popular too (there are roads and paved trails all up and down it depending on where you are).

If you have time there is a local TT series in Medina/Long Lake (city of) every other Tuesday night called TNT which is an out and back 10 miler on rolling hills. There is a open class (i.e. TT/Tri bikes and deep section wheels) and stock class for road bikes. This is sponsored by Gear West now and details are here: TNT. If you go to this maybe I'll see you there as I try to get out for these as much as I can (only racing I do these days).

There are tons of paved riding trails/MUPs all over the metro area. There are also several great dirt MTB trails. The most popular one is Lebanon Hills in just south of St. Paul. Probably the nearest to where will be is Murphy-Hanrehan in Prior Lake which is near Chanhassen a little south. Here is where you can get trail conditions/check if they are open from the group who maintains them: http://www.morcmtb.org/trail/. Maybe I can meet you for a group ride on one of these dirt trails. I've been to both and they are fun.

Also, if you like burgers a place called Lion's Tap in Eden Prairie is excellent. It is near the Flying Cloud Airport in Eden Prairie. They do make their own beers but I haven't tried those honestly (because I go there for lunch when I used to work nearby and avoiding drinking then coming back to work). Otherwise, make the trip to Matt's Bar in Minneapolis for the original Jucy Lucy burger (bring cash though and be prepared to wait outside for a table).
Old 01-15-2020, 08:56 AM

Thanks guys for all the responses. I'll definitely add Grand Performance to the list. I was already planning on stopping by Angry Catfish.

I found some routes on ride with GPS that look fun, but I'm planning on heading west from Chanhassen. My sister has lived in the MSP area for 20 years and we always love visiting. We try and come up for the State Fair every couple years.

I think my wife and I will probably scope out some neighborhoods as well. Hope my kids like cold weather
Old 01-15-2020, 09:22 AM
Certified Campy Snob

Another former Minneapolitan. Must see shop is Flanders in the LynLake area. Drive your bike to downtown Wayzata. Head West to N. Ferndale Rd. Turn right and go North on Ferndale for a few miles until it dead ends on County 6. Turn left on 6, ride all the way to Watertown and back for 40ish. From Watertown you can go south to Waconia on 10 and work your way back up to 6 through St. Bonafacious if you want to add another 20 or so. Enjoy!!