Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I started using Zwift with my (dumb) trainer (Garmin, Ant+ adapter on my Mac, feeding a flatscreen) and have been frustrated with the inconsistent data. I just added the Kurt Inride 3 and now seem to have more inconsistent data. I think I need to disable the Garmin cadence/speed sensor.
I just ordered the InRide 3 sensor last week to go on my Road Machine. It arrived Saturday, minus the grommet & magnet (initiated a support case ) so I've not gotten to use it yet, however...
Without the InRide, your Garmin speed sensor is what tells the software how fast the trainer's drum/roller is turning, and hence how much power you are making. The InRide does the same thing (senses speed of the roller) but allows for calibration for better accuracy and consistency. With both sensors enabled they could be fighting each other. A pedal cadence-only sensor shouldn't interfere with the power numbers, and the DCR review said the InRide wasn't as good at sensing cadence anyway, or it would sense cadence but at a constant 8 bpm offset from actual (weird).
Hopefully I'll get to try it later in the week.

Aside from the possibility of the sensors' data conflicting, if your numbers are jumping all over the place you can try changing the settings to use a 3-sec average instead of instantaneous power. Obviously this blunts any fast inputs on the pedals though. I don't race, mostly just ride courses by myself or in small groups, so I've been okay with the 3-sec average.

Did my first really big group ride yesterday, first stage of the TdZ. It was pretty fun, lots of ride-ons being thrown around, and a much faster average pace than I would cover alone. Even though it wasn't a race, I did ride harder than normal trying to keep up with faster people. I might need to start doing some of the workouts, although I don't have any specific goals other than to stay in better shape over this winter compared to last year.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:58 PM

Me too

I can honestly say I do love it. Even if I'm not feeling it much at the start of a ride, my competitive nature kicks in and catching groups, racing, etc., I find that I spend much more time on the trainer than I otherwise would not. Easy to just lose track of the time, spend 2 hours easily after work on weeknights.
I did a 6 hour ride with about 6,000 ft climbing on NYE.

One thing I noticed with these longer rides that wasn't really apparent on a dumb trainer and no Zwift was that I would suffer saddle sores much more. I tried several saddles only to conclude that it had more to do with the static nature of the trainer + extended time. So now looking to build a rocker plate to put under the trainer. From the time I spend on Zwift now, it will be well worth the investment.

Andy in Houston
Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
I can honestly say I do love it. Even if I'm not feeling it much at the start of a ride, my competitive nature kicks in and catching groups, racing, etc., I find that I spend much more time on the trainer than I otherwise would not. Easy to just lose track of the time, spend 2 hours easily after work on weeknights.

One thing I noticed with these longer rides that wasn't really apparent on a dumb trainer and no Zwift was that I would suffer saddle sores much more. I tried several saddles only to conclude that it had more to do with the static nature of the trainer + extended time. So now looking to build a rocker plate to put under the trainer. From the time I spend on Zwift now, it will be well worth the investment.

Andy in Houston

This. What direction are you going with the rocker plate?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Andy in Houston

More fans a chamois cream will go a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadian View Post
This. What direction are you going with the rocker plate?
Not decided on design yet. Would like something that would just rock the backside just to keep a smaller footprint. And maybe a lazy Susan kind of riser on the front, anticipating steering.
If interested, can join the Rocker Plate Facebook group. Lots of plans & ideas there.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
More fans a chamois cream will go a long way

Thanks. Tried and use both. Actually, I am getting a bit better adapted. But still...
Old 01-13-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Tried and use both. Actually, I am getting a bit better adapted. But still...

The longest I have road was 2.5 hours. So take it with a grain of salt. One of the aspects of zwift that I love is that I can get a great workout in an hour. So most of my sessions are about that.

This thread might inspire me to try one of the running plans on zwift. Other than that I lead two rides a week and occasionally race.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Other than that I lead two rides a week and occasionally race.
Oh yeah? When are the rides and are they open to anyone, abilities?
Old 01-13-2020, 02:15 PM

I lead Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 5:50 and 5:55 am. The Tuesday ride is A/B category. The Thursday ride is B category. On Tuesday it is the All American ride and Thursday is tempoish Thursday. They are both fun and challenging. The Tuesday ride can be a bit like a race in the A group and the B group keeps it steady. We switch the routes but there are always hills. Thursday we sprint about 7 times and regroup into something tempoish in between. Feel free to join us all are welcome.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I lead Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 5:50 and 5:55 am. The Tuesday ride is A/B category. The Thursday ride is B category. On Tuesday it is the All American ride and Thursday is tempoish Thursday. They are both fun and challenging. The Tuesday ride can be a bit like a race in the A group and the B group keeps it steady. We switch the routes but there are always hills. Thursday we sprint about 7 times and regroup into something tempoish in between. Feel free to join us all are welcome.

As in All American Bike Shop in Montgomery County? You guys put on a nice race, and the shop was quite nice as well.

Too bad 5:50 (EST, i presume) is brutally early for the Mid-West
Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
As in All American Bike Shop in Montgomery County? You guys put on a nice race, and the shop was quite nice as well.

Too bad 5:50 (EST, i presume) is brutally early for the Mid-West

That’s the shop! Small world, one of our back up leaders is in Chicago. I don’t know how he does it. I just ride with the shop owner. I love the real life experiences he has given me so we put his name on it.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:12 PM

if anyone is interested in rockers...SBR makes very nice ones...a bit pricey...but really well made...love mine...and I believe they have a kit as well if you want to do it more yourself...swim bike run out of st louis if I remember rightly...
Old 01-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The longest I have road was 2.5 hours. So take it with a grain of salt. One of the aspects of zwift that I love is that I can get a great workout in an hour. So most of my sessions are about that.

This thread might inspire me to try one of the running plans on zwift. Other than that I lead two rides a week and occasionally race.

thanks. B pack filler, here. Would love to join, but cannot make those times. For anyone else, that's Central Standard Time, right?

edit: oops, Quoted the wrong post. 5:50 am CST courtesy of mcfarton

Last edited by cinco; 01-13-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:50 PM

Been sitting at level 50 for a while with 1000+ hrs on Zwift

The main benefit for me has been being able to ride before work in the small hours of the morning (4-6 AM) or to ride in the evening when dusk light and evening commute traffic is terrible around here. It's such an efficient workout.
I still love riding outside, but I mostly like that when I do, my fitness is still good and I can enjoy the ride.

Recently I changed from a kickr18 to a Neo 2. Love the Neo 2. The road feel/trainer behavior seems more natural than the kickr. Plus the Neo seems to have a little bit more side to side rocking compared to the kickr, so it doesn't feel quite so rigidly locked in place. Overall I'm glad I made the change.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
Been sitting at level 50 for a while with 1000+ hrs on Zwift

The main benefit for me has been being able to ride before work in the small hours of the morning (4-6 AM) or to ride in the evening when dusk light and evening commute traffic is terrible around here. It's such an efficient workout.
I still love riding outside, but I mostly like that when I do, my fitness is still good and I can enjoy the ride.

Recently I changed from a kickr18 to a Neo 2. Love the Neo 2. The road feel/trainer behavior seems more natural than the kickr. Plus the Neo seems to have a little bit more side to side rocking compared to the kickr, so it doesn't feel quite so rigidly locked in place. Overall I'm glad I made the change.
That’s quite an achievement! I’m lowly at level 13 about to hit 14. The levels are mildly motivating, I’ll admit.

Curious to read your Neo 2. I wasn’t forced into my Kickr 18, but I would have had to wait on the Neo 2 and I wanted to keep my momentum going. I’d love to hear more about the Tacx experience.

Tags
zwift