Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 06:59 PM

Bob Jackson

Looking at a Bob Jackson 753 frame and fork, 130mm rear spacing. Anyone have good/bad feelings on these frames?
Old 01-12-2020, 07:30 PM

It would probably be really nice. Bob Jackson is one of the biggies for sure, and a lot of the names did time apprenticing there as far as I know. No personal experience owning, although most of the ones I've seen were extremely pretty. What color?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM

Maroon
Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 PM

Color

Maroon
Old 01-12-2020, 08:21 PM

Their new frames appear reasonably priced stock, why not look this way? http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/pr...he-peg-frames/
Old 01-12-2020, 09:04 PM
extremely tall

I have a road single speed they built me a few years ago which I love; great fit, rides perfectly, workmanship & finish are very good-maybe a shade below the tip top in terms of brazing & paint but as a package I think it’s a fantastic bike and good value.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:20 AM

Bob Jackson was the very first builder to be certified by Reynolds to build with 753 because of it's unique characteristics. I owned a BJ bike albeit 531., before 753, and it was superb quality and road great.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:20 AM

Back in the day, we had quite a few Bob Jackson come through our shop. Some of them were exquisite, many were horrendous, the average was average. You can rarely tell what lurks under the paint so it is best to underestimate and then be pleasantly surprised when you get one of the better ones.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
Bob Jackson was the very first builder to be certified by Reynolds to build with 753 because of it's unique characteristics. I owned a BJ bike albeit 531., before 753, and it was superb quality and road great.
Yep, I had a 531 too and loved it. Sold it since it was smaller than I usually ride but will probably wind up with another one day.

For the OP, I'd go for it. Is it used or new, they still sell bikes off the peg at a decent price. I'd say the build quality is a step under the best I've ever seen but the ride really, really well and are a solid buy.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 AM

Some photos of my 1972 custom built BJ Olympus (531) in this thread, both painted and bead-blasted so the workmanship is visible:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=242979

And from Sheldon's vintage lightweight pricing guide, where he refers to my bike:

"A friend of mine has a Jackson that he has owned for years. It truly is one of the most attractive bicycles I've ever seen. It features great stove enamel, fun contrasting red panels, and rides great."

I wouldn't have ever looked for another road bike if the BJ hadn't been sized the way it was back in the day. The fistful of seatpost criterion generated a frame slightly over 57 square. Today my sweet spot TT length is 54.

At the outset of the MIT aluminum bike frame project in 1974 (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/AluminumBikeProject.html) we stripped many frames of their parts and jigged them up, hanging weights and measuring deflection in bending and torsion. My BJ was one of the lightest frames yet one of the stiffest. We theorized that this might have been due to the long spearpoint lug reinforcements at the BB but that might be pure BS!

I've had this frame built up in the 1970s to 19 pounds with light tubular wheels, as well as toured on it with racks and fenders. It's an all-rounder, and takes at least 32 tires. Today it lives as a 3x10 STI with fenders and a rack. It's out for a re-finishing at Groody Brothers, and I'm debating whether to build it back up 3x10 or to put the early 70s Nuovo Record equipment back on. With the modern group it gets real rides, and I'm unlikely to do a 40 mile ride with the Eroica set-up, so I'm guessing the Shimano will go back on.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:54 AM
extremely tall

Here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0438.jpg (71.9 KB, 489 views)
Old 02-01-2020, 06:12 PM
Tired Member

Can you tell me a little more about this bike? Is it a Vigorelli with bigger clearance or an Audax End-end with track ends? It's really nice.
There aren't many options for a road fixed out there now. Most are messenger-style track bikes that are not designed for taller riders.
Any additional thoughts are very welcome. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
Here's mine:

Last edited by tctyres; 02-01-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:17 PM

I posted this BJ on big bikes in classifies. looks like the real McCoy. if someone is looking for a classic 61cm with a traditional geometry for that this is a rare find at a fair price. appears to be all complete:

https://www.thebicycleguys.com/colle...hed-campagnolo

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...07521&page=138

Last edited by alancw3; 02-03-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:02 PM

I had a Vigorelli and an Audax End-End. I've sold both because I have problems, not because there was anything wrong with the bikes. I liked how they rode very well, just the sizing I didn't quite get right on the Audax end-end and then the Vigorelli tire clearance was not enough.

If I were to do it again, I'd get the Audax in a .5 size bigger or 1 and run a shorter stem to make up the reach
Old 02-03-2020, 02:19 PM

I had that Bob Jackson in 1990 when Colorado cyclist had them for sale (mail order baby!):

Relative to the Pinarello SL I had a little later and a Raleigh 531 before it was good- I liked the paint and it felt really solid on the flats as long as you were smooth.

You are never going to mistake it for a Crit bike- it was a little soft and neutral- but it was a great all day riding bike.

Ultimately I sold it for a Cannondale 2.8- which was everything the Jackson was not: insanely stiff and a little nervous.