Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Very timely question for me. We are discussing this right now in our family and haven't figured out a solution for us yet. I like the photo scanners that can do a stack of pictures, but these start around $500.

Does anyone have an idea of what companies charge for this service? This might be the best way to go since once we are done with this process, we wouldn't have a piece of hardware that we don't need anymore.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:14 PM

No direct experience, but options here:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...nning-service/
Old 02-04-2020, 02:58 PM

I have an Epson v600 scanner. It scans in decent quality for the price. I would recommend scanning them and storing them on an external hard drive. If you have the negatives you can always scan them on the V600 as well. Thats what i use for my film photos.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:18 PM

I store the photos that I want for reference purposes or to share on my web site in a bunch of photo albums. I wouldn't recommend my specific approach to anyone who is not computer obsessive, but for what it's worth it's a Drupal site and uses a photo album module named Juicebox.

I process the photos from my camera or cell phone into Adobe Lightroom. When they are touched up there, and captions added, I export copies into a bunch of jpg directories and create albums using the Juicebox PC product then export those to the web site and create albums there. So, I can share them. Thus, there are at least 3 copies of each photo with a backup onto an external drive to boot.

Historically, I have scanned a few "reference" photos, those I really wanted to keep but scanning is too labor intensive for me to do on a large volume.

Disk space is cheap and getting cheaper at an astronomical pace. There is no excuse any more for not keeping multiple copies ... as long as you keep track of what's where.