Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 08:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Velonews article-Ebikes at Fondos and group rides

'Performance' e-bikes..NO doubt this will descend into a ebike 'discussion'..altho
I get the ebike commuter/cargo/errand/shopping gig..the 'performance' ebike..don't get that at all? What is the point of a 'performance' ebike?
Quote:
These aren’t machines for a quiet Sunday spin; they’re for committed, enthusiast road riders looking for a way to enjoy longer, faster rides more comfortably, and maybe for a bit of a boost to ward off that inevitable age-related decline in personal power output.
Longer and faster via electrons?..kinda the "Rosie Ruiz" syndrome, IMHO. Seems like putting your computer in your car to cheat on your Strava numbers..

Don't get it.

https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/cul...p-rides_504324
Old 02-04-2020, 08:48 AM

Performance MTB ebikes makes sense... gets you plus 30 pounds up the mountain so you can shred down it. For the road I fail to see the need.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Performance MTB ebikes makes sense... gets you plus 30 pounds up the mountain so you can shred down it. For the road I fail to see the need.
E rode bikes make hills easier too.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
'Performance' e-bikes..NO doubt this will descend into a ebike 'discussion'..altho
I get the ebike commuter/cargo/errand/shopping gig..the 'performance' ebike..don't get that at all? What is the point of a 'performance' ebike?

Longer and faster via electrons?..kinda the "Rosie Ruiz" syndrome, IMHO. Seems like putting your computer in your car to cheat on your Strava numbers..

Don't get it.

E bikes are for anyone who wants to go farther and faster. People ride for different reasons, not all are chasing Strava. With E bikes folks are now capable of enjoying certain rides, climbs and the company of friends that they may not without assistance. With performance E bikes they just blend in with the rest of us/group.

Last edited by Tony; 02-04-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Ebikes are straight up fun to ride. Project whatever reason about the riders you want onto them. If someone shows up on your group ride with an ebike and they are a nice person, who cares what kind of bike they have.

I understand that you don’t understand performance ebikes, and that’s okay. I don’t understand why people like downtube shifters but they do.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
E rode bikes make hills easier too.
Motorcycles make them easier still.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 AM

Keeping a group of riders together, maybe???
Have a ride buddy who can no longer hang with the group (for many reasons) and refuses to “slow us down” when invited. A performance e-bike could change that. He refuses to consider as an option, however.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM

Don't forget about the social aspect of riding, particularly between people of different ability levels. I wish I could convince my wife to ride an ebike from time to time. She's a great sport and will go on lots of bike rides with me, but she's a little bit slower and struggles more with the hills, so when we ride together, we can't do some of my favorite routaes that are longer and with a little more climbing than she could handle.

She is adamant that she does not want to have any mechanical assistance, and only wants to ride what she can earn with her own two legs. I certainly respect that, and wouldn't force her to get an e-bike, but on days when I want to ride big and she wants to ride with me, sometimes I wouldn't have to compromise.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Don't forget about the social aspect of riding, particularly between people of different ability levels. I wish I could convince my wife to ride an ebike from time to time. She's a great sport and will go on lots of bike rides with me, but she's a little bit slower and struggles more with the hills, so when we ride together, we can't do some of my favorite routaes that are longer and with a little more climbing than she could handle.

She is adamant that she does not want to have any mechanical assistance, and only wants to ride what she can earn with her own two legs. I certainly respect that, and wouldn't force her to get an e-bike, but on days when I want to ride big and she wants to ride with me, sometimes I wouldn't have to compromise.
Bet if she tried an E bike very good chance it would change her mind.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 AM

E-Bikes are by definition motor bikes. They are fun to ride for sure but this is just out of control. They don't belong on trails imho unless you have a condition. I fully support the ADA. But laziness is not a disability
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
E-Bikes are by definition motor bikes. They are fun to ride for sure but this is just out of control. They don't belong on trails imho unless you have a condition. I fully support the ADA. But laziness is not a disability
I think there’s a tremendous amount of privilege in saying this.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Don't get it.

Really interesting article. But I don't think it's gonna happen. I'm willing to bet, based on almost fifteen years as a personal trainer, that the manufacturers of "high-end" performance eBikes are chasing their tails. I mentioned this in a recent thread as well. It simply goes against human nature. To participate in a Gran Fondo, there is an underlying assumption that you have to enjoy movement to begin with. To expect a whole coterie of newbies to embrace distance riding because of a motor is wishful thinking.

There's a reason I was shocked to encounter an eBiker on a recreational ride in the East Bay hills: I'd never seen one before. And haven't seen one since.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ghlight=ensues
Old 02-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Motorcycles make them easier still.
Are you making a correlation between eBikes and motorcycles? Just curious.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I think there’s a tremendous amount of privilege in saying this.
I'm willing to listen and perhaps even learn something.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Are you making a correlation between eBikes and motorcycles? Just curious.
Ding ding ding.

If we're looking to minimize effort to enjoy the outdoors, skip the mopeds in road bike cosplay and just go buy a motorcycle.