Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Di2 Sprint/Climbing Shifters Compatibility

Can any of the models of the remote climbing/sprinting shifters be used without existing Di2 levers (i.e. plug directly into a junction box)? I have read conflicting information. TRP advertises the R600 adapter kit to run those buttons with their Hylex shifters, so that tells me it can be done. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:11 PM

SW-R600 will plug directly into a junction box and shift your R.Mech. A tech-savvy person should be able to plug a second SW-R600 to shift the F.Mech if you so desire. You'll need to frobulate the e-Tube settings, but it does work.

Incidentally, you can open up the box and added buttons if you don't like the standard format.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Can any of the models of the remote climbing/sprinting shifters be used without existing Di2 levers (i.e. plug directly into a junction box)? I have read conflicting information. TRP advertises the R600 adapter kit to run those buttons with their Hylex shifters, so that tells me it can be done. Thanks.
The climbing shifter (SW-R600) can work as a stand-alone unit.

Sprinting shifters (SW-R610) cannot

https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pd....3.0-00-EN.pdf
Old 02-04-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
The climbing shifter (SW-R600) can work as a stand-alone unit.

Sprinting shifters (SW-R610) cannot

https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pd....3.0-00-EN.pdf
Thanks to both! And thanks for the link to that doc. I've been looking for that type of reference.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 AM

Along these lines...quite of the pro-bikes in the peloton are running 9170 (disc dura ace di2) with sprint shifters, which shimano says you can't do...so my question is...how the hell are they doing that?
Old 02-05-2020, 10:33 AM

maybe the teams severely hacked down the new climbing switches (SW-R9150)?

it's not as nice as the sprinter switches, but may work in a pinch
Old 02-05-2020, 12:50 PM

Satellite switches operate independently

The di2 satellite shifters (RS-9150) contain the necessary hardware to operate as stand alone units and can be programmed when combined with the new battery and software. There are numerous examples of bikes with satellite shifters and non-Shimano brakes such as TRP Hylex RS brakes set up as 1x or 2x.

Search for Lyrebird on Velocipede Salon for an excellent example.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 PM
IamEllis

I'm running 9170 (Di2/hydro disc) levers with SW-R9150 sprint shifters mounted under the handlebar tops, works fine, and I've never heard that Shimano discourages this?

The original Di2/hydro levers R785(?) did only have one Di2 port for the wire going to the A junction, unlike the cable actuated levers which had two, the extra being for sprint shifters SW-R610. The downside being, that with the hydro levers you couldn't run sprint shifters.

The new 9170 and 8070 shifters (Di2/hydro) now have two sets of sockets so sprint shifters can be added at the shifter, but even if you have the old 785 shifters I've added the SW-R9150 shifters by using a 5 port A Junction and then just plugging the shifter wires into the junction A instead of the brifter.

Hope that tech jargon makes sense?

Personally, I've been using the sprint shifters mounted under my bars for the last 5-6 years, and when I get on a bike without them it kinda sucks. It's easy to get spoiled with extra shifting points.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKW View Post
Along these lines...quite of the pro-bikes in the peloton are running 9170 (disc dura ace di2) with sprint shifters, which shimano says you can't do...so my question is...how the hell are they doing that?