Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
Thanks for that. I just shot an email to him and am in correspondence with Jonny Coast. So my list is getting shorter by the day. I am now down to 5 or 6 so this is coming together.
The green full build at Coast is on my radar and my size and 6K for the complete bike ready to go. Not a bad option.
He also sent me option #2 that also sounds intriguing. From his email.
Second is a "Kit".
Frame, fork, headset, fenders, custom stem, custom front or rear
rack (for front handle bar bag rack a decaleur as well) and a
custom front cable stop. This is an ideal middle ground.
Especially so if your needs for wheels and gearing are very different from his.

I do have one question about that for the specific bike in question. As photographed, it has Paul cantilevers and the front rack mounted to the canti mounting posts. I know Paul canti's are different from other cantilevers in this respect and require an unusual method to mount the racks, but I'm not sure if a rack that was made to fit onto a Paul canti can be fitted to any other brand of cantilever brakes.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:24 PM

Check out the Cyfac Instagram page. Randonneur bikes are their main thing, as that type of riding is big in that part of France:

https://www.instagram.com/cyfacinternational/
Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 AM

In the Que

Well I made a decision and am in a que. He is talking early/mid summer. That will be perfect timing. Looking forward to see how this goes. Just have to do some finals over what I want him to supply and what I will supply.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well I made a decision and am in a que. He is talking early/mid summer. That will be perfect timing. Looking forward to see how this goes. Just have to do some finals over what I want him to supply and what I will supply.
With whom? JC?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:52 AM

Since this is my firstbike of this type in over 20 years I am going with Jonny Coast on his semi custom. It has a spirit for lugs tube set and the semi means I can choose the TT and ST length. The vanilla shake color is not my fav but i can live with it. Going this route will save over 1K+ as opposed to full custom .There are a few other upgrade I can and will discuss with him in the coming weeks. Not sure yet if I will do SnS couplings yet.So far I would like him to supply/build a custom stem,front and rear racks and supply the fenders and lighting system and associated wiring.
We will talk about the wheelset and brake type/brand. I may just get him to do wheels if the price is reasonable.
Now I have to decide on the drivetrain and shifting and double or triple crankset. I have silver 7800 DT shifters,RD,FD in the stockpile. I also have a bunch campy 10 speed stuff in both silver and black. I will have to see if I want DT,bar end or brifters. Not sure on that yet.
I have saddles,posts,bars.
It will all come together in the coming months.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:50 PM

Congratulations!
Old 01-11-2020, 03:38 PM

Congratulations +1
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Excellent choice

They make nice frame sets. After riding campy for decades, I moved to Shimano for my rando rigs. It gives you more options. My favorite is Dura Ace DT shifters paired to Sun XCD derailleurs and shimano calipers. I also use Sun XCD cranks and 48/36 rings which are nice Rene Herse lookalikes. Shimano cassettes will also give you wide ranges like 13-32 in the back. Fenders and a nice rack and you’ll be all set to ride long distances in comfort.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:38 PM

Sounds like you are getting constructeur attention where it matters the most- fenders, racks, wiring...stem.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:48 PM

big ups for Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Here's the Johnny Coast link: http://coastcycles.nyc/production-frames

I believe tube lengths can be picked without it being considered "custom" - probably within a certain range.
Great guy
Gorgeous work
I love the lack of name/logo on most of his frames
Just on head badge area
Very elegant
And support Brooklyn artistry ( my daughter lives there)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Since this is my firstbike of this type in over 20 years I am going with Jonny Coast on his semi custom. It has a spirit for lugs tube set and the semi means I can choose the TT and ST length. The vanilla shake color is not my fav but i can live with it. Going this route will save over 1K+ as opposed to full custom .There are a few other upgrade I can and will discuss with him in the coming weeks. Not sure yet if I will do SnS couplings yet.So far I would like him to supply/build a custom stem,front and rear racks and supply the fenders and lighting system and associated wiring..
This is excellent. Very exciting. He offers a Keisei upgrade which is worth considering.

Keep the forum updated; I’m excited to see the result.