Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 06:31 PM

I have been thinking about a touring bike lately as a buddy and I are planing a week long ride on the No Ca Coast. Right now I have the Speedvagen and the Pina F8, maybe I could make one of them work for a week, maybe not.

Anyhow cruising CL I saw this, it sure looks cool, maybe a bit small .....

Maruishi touring bike

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik...048188924.html

Old 01-09-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel View Post
Hey I’ve had a few rando bikes, custom ones too

It’s really fun to dither about on a forum but you should really find a custom builder who will ask questions and work with you to determine what you want.
That is my next step. I will be contacting them within the coming weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Chris Bishop is a pretty legit choice to do this for you, and do it pretty soon too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bishopbikes/36282577803/
Bishop does make a great product, but I do have a price point and for what I am thinking about it would blow it out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Here's the Johnny Coast link: http://coastcycles.nyc/production-frames

I am also really digging some of the work from a NY builder. Rick Jones.

I believe tube lengths can be picked without it being considered "custom" - probably within a certain range.
Yep, Om my short list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerambler View Post
For a custom rando in the 4K range, you might look at the work of Joel Greenblatt of Clockwork Bikes in Minneapolis.
Also on my list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
It is the holidays, but that is a little odd on no response.. Might be time to pick up the phone and give a ring.

At that price point you may want to give Aaron at ARcycles a call - he has done some nice work in stainless (and partially stainless) and just built one for an esteemed forumite in the bay area.
On the list. A riding buddy has a lugged steel road bike from them and he can not say enough about the process.

Last edited by skiezo; 01-09-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 PM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=124636&page=2
Old 01-09-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
But most definitely not low trail.
I guessI missed the part about low trail. I was just thinking of bikes that I'd be happy with for credit card touring. Of course on my 62cm Rambouillet I can carry everything I need for CC touring in my HUGE Hoss saddlebag behind my B-17. That might not work on a 54cm without a rack.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I guessI missed the part about low trail. I was just thinking of bikes that I'd be happy with for credit card touring. Of course on my 62cm Rambouillet I can carry everything I need for CC touring in my HUGE Hoss saddlebag behind my B-17. That might not work on a 54cm without a rack.
Yeah, but when you want to chase KOM's while CC touring and sprint out of the saddle while swinging your bike from side to side, that HUGE saddlebag is just so ungainly...

/S and

I commuted for a few years using a Carridice hanging off a Brooks and never fell over or felt like the tail was wagging the dog, as it were. OP's MMV.

Last edited by Clean39T; 01-10-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:03 AM

Why not get your #’s together and call Waterford?

And I also use a Caradice long flap on every ride. Many a rando ride was done with this setup without any problems.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
This bike will be for CC touring
If touring, best to be simple, in case something breaks 'out there'..Maybe not hydro discs, maybe bar ends(?)..simple.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:05 AM

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Dave Anderson, Anderson Custom Bicycles. I have a bike from him, exceptional work and very easy and enjoyable to work with.

https://www.andersoncustombicycles.com/

An example why I hold Dave in high regard. When I received my frame it had a very small and hard to notice paint chip. Even though it had been packed with a lot of care and abundant foam and packing materials, somehow the frame got a paint chip. Things happen. I contacted him, told him what happened, and asked if he would send me some touch-up paint. He was extremely apologetic and embarrassed and insisted on me sending him back the frame so that he could re-paint it himself. And insisted on paying shipping both ways.

My bicycle

https://www.flickr.com/photos/anders...7650297548482/

I would certainly add him to any short list.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 AM

I did a credit card tour last summer with friends, one of whom rode a Chapman. Very nice looking bike and he was happy with it.

I’m in the process of rehabbing my fairly new to me Heron Randonneur. These are Rivendell inspired/designed, Waterford built. I heard they have recently re-opened for business.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 AM
Administrator

i agree with your plan to find a builder local enough to drive to. there are a few things i would focus on if i were you:

1) customer service. there are a lot of really good builders out there, but also a bunch of flakes. if someone is not responding to you in a timely manner now, you're probably doomed once they have your deposit. personally, i am not a "needy" customer, but i consider myself a professional, and at this point in my life i only want to deal with other professionals, if at all possible.

i would want reliable communication, and a reliable delivery date.

2) fit. the whole point of getting a custom bike is that it is made for you, and first and foremost, i would want to be comfortable with an initial conversation with the builder about their philosophy on fit and how they arrive at the dimensions and geometry of the frame they would put me on. this is huge and probably the biggest factor in whether you will enjoy the bike or not.

part of that responsibility is on the customer also, and honestly and accurately describing their needs and limitations to the builder.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:52 AM

I am finding out over the last few weeks that there are a bunch of great craftsman out there and a few that are honest. So of the couple hundred frame builders only a small hand full have built these types of bikes and are familiar with the small things. Not that these people could not build one but the ones that have built at least a couple dozen of these learned what works and what does not.
One guy told he straight up that he has only built a few over that years and he would take on the project but I would be far ahead if I contacted someone that is familiar with these and have built enough to feel confident everything will work.
I am looking into this green show bike from coast as the sizing seems on and it pretty much has most of what I am looking for. And without the wait.
http://coastcycles.nyc/sale
Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I am finding out over the last few weeks that there are a bunch of great craftsman out there and a few that are honest. So of the couple hundred frame builders only a small hand full have built these types of bikes and are familiar with the small things. Not that these people could not build one but the ones that have built at least a couple dozen of these learned what works and what does not.
One guy told he straight up that he has only built a few over that years and he would take on the project but I would be far ahead if I contacted someone that is familiar with these and have built enough to feel confident everything will work.
I am looking into this green show bike from coast as the sizing seems on and it pretty much has most of what I am looking for. And without the wait.
http://coastcycles.nyc/sale
You really don't want to be a beta tester or pay full rate for what amounts to a prototype or beginner effort, and this type of bike is harder to build than a bare-bones racer or sportif because there are more tricky details that all have to work together. Since it looks like it's your size, checking out that Coast is a splendid idea.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 AM

I might’ve missed it but has no one mentioned Fitz?

He’s fast, relatively affordable, and specialized in rando
www.fitzcyclez.com
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Dave Anderson, Anderson Custom Bicycles. I have a bike from him, exceptional work and very easy and enjoyable to work with.

https://www.andersoncustombicycles.com/

An example why I hold Dave in high regard. When I received my frame it had a very small and hard to notice paint chip. Even though it had been packed with a lot of care and abundant foam and packing materials, somehow the frame got a paint chip. Things happen. I contacted him, told him what happened, and asked if he would send me some touch-up paint. He was extremely apologetic and embarrassed and insisted on me sending him back the frame so that he could re-paint it himself. And insisted on paying shipping both ways.

My bicycle

https://www.flickr.com/photos/anders...7650297548482/

I would certainly add him to any short list.
NICE! I had a Legend ti and the painted bits were this green and the bare ti looked like your bare metal too.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I might’ve missed it but has no one mentioned Fitz?

He’s fast, relatively affordable, and specialized in rando
www.fitzcyclez.com
Thanks for that. I just shot an email to him and am in correspondence with Jonny Coast. So my list is getting shorter by the day. I am now down to 5 or 6 so this is coming together.
The green full build at Coast is on my radar and my size and 6K for the complete bike ready to go. Not a bad option.
He also sent me option #2 that also sounds intriguing. From his email.
Second is a "Kit".
Frame, fork, headset, fenders, custom stem, custom front or rear
rack (for front handle bar bag rack a decaleur as well) and a
custom front cable stop. This is an ideal middle ground. Many of
the very crucial adjustments must be made to correctly install and
fit the fenders, racks and decaleur to insure a rattle-less ride.
The fenders must follow the curve of the wheels flawlessly, and the
racks must sit equal distance from the wheel and support the front
and rear fenders. If fitting front and rear lights, internal wiring
of the dynamo hub will be done at this time. Protecting lighting
wires by running them inside the frame is best, and the system must
work with out shorts or glitches. All hardware and fittings are
included in this package. The fork is fitted at this time and a
headset included. Wheels are chosen and built for this bicycle.
This kit allows you the freedom to assemble the rest of the bicycle
with components of your choice, with many of the delicate and often
difficult steps already finished. You may have some vintage parts
or I can also supply you with any components available.