Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 09:34 AM

Randonneur

As time goes on and my body is changing so is what I am looking for in a bike and what I want out of the said bike. So in my mid 50's now and after 30+ years of riding from crits in the 80's to fast groups in the 90's and into the early 2000's to just enjoying long solo rides now.
I am getting a professional fit within the next 4 to 6 weeks and I am getting the geo for a Randonneur type bike for a new bike. Not really sure what I am looking for in the new ride. I just know now that I want comfort on long days,a bit more upright so my neck in now aching after long hours, low trail and front load. As far as stopping it I am also at a loss, long reach,center pulls or discs.
Been a campy guy all my life but I am also up in the air on this as well.
This bike will be for CC touring and longer days in the saddle. Definitely will be a lugged bike in steel.
Let me know what you think and throw out some ideas my way.
I will keep my Ti DeSalvo for my everyday ride and the Sarto Classica for my faster training ride as of now.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:51 AM

Talk to Brian Chapman.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:55 AM

Johnny Coast is doing a semi-production run of rando rigs at very reasonable prices.

If the pockets are deep enough though, I'd still say Ellis or Kirk are where it's at..
Old 01-09-2020, 10:06 AM

I do have a list the I will will be contacting in the near future and Chapman is on that list.
As far a pockets go I am looking at staying under 4K for the F/F and racks so that leaves me a pretty large population of builders.
I am probably looking at 700c wheels at this point and a thinking about SS rear triangle with lightweight steel front end and a 1" threadless up front but am open to options still.
I have sent emails to 5 builders in PA and NY and 3 weeks out still no response.
One is only 1.5 hours from me so it would be great if he got back to me.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I do have a list the I will will be contacting in the near future and Chapman is on that list.
As far a pockets go I am looking at staying under 4K for the F/F and racks so that leaves me a pretty large population of builders.
I am probably looking at 700c wheels at this point and a thinking about SS rear triangle with lightweight steel front end and a 1" threadless up front but am open to options still.
I have sent emails to 5 builders in PA and NY and 3 weeks out still no response.
One is only 1.5 hours from me so it would be great if he got back to me.
It is the holidays, but that is a little odd on no response.. Might be time to pick up the phone and give a ring.

At that price point you may want to give Aaron at ARcycles a call - he has done some nice work in stainless (and partially stainless) and just built one for an esteemed forumite in the bay area.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 AM

Maybe the Norther/Lyon rando is worth a look if stock sizing would be agreeable.

edit: oops, the Norther home page says that Norther is no longer in business.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 01-09-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Maybe the Norther/Lyon rando is worth a look if stock sizing would be agreeable.
Norther Cycles has now closed its doors, but Lyon can be reached directly.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Here's the Johnny Coast link: http://coastcycles.nyc/production-frames

I believe tube lengths can be picked without it being considered "custom" - probably within a certain range.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 AM

I went in the same direction where you are heading, and for the same reasons. I have a steel machine with fenders and a front rack with 57mm calipers. I run 30mm tires under 40mm fenders. I decided against lights because of the additional risk of cycling at night. It is dangerous enough during the daytime. I have done some really long day trips on this machine, including overnight B&B stuff. It is super comfortable, and has vastly extended my cycling enjoyment. I was also once a competitive cyclist beginning in the 70s as a USCF junior, and continued through the early 00s. I enjoyed the sport immensely, but if I could now rewrite the script, I think I would have preferred to be a randonneur cyclist.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:29 AM
ZhugeLiang

I am at the same stage of life.

The new bike (equipment) will help...maybe 20%. The rest of the 80% comes from taking better care of yourself, lose weight, watch what you eat, stretch regularly, rollers, factor enough time for recovery, coming to terms with the new normal and adjusting your expectations, goals and attitude, which seems like you are already heading in the right direction.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 AM

I would like to find a builder within a 6 to 8 hour drive from me. That way me and wifey could do a long weekend trip. Chapman is in that time frame and I love RI. Winters is close but no response from him in 3 weeks after a few emails. Same with a few from eastern NY. Quite a few on the list from the midwest and I always wanted to visit the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. So many options.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:19 AM
what's a little rust?

My Davidson was built in 2006 and it's pretty close to what you're talking about: lugged steel, fenders, 28 to 30c tires with fenders, 1" threadless, rim brakes, steel fork. When I described my riding needs to Bill, including year-round commuting but not touring, a randonneur hit the mark.

It's comfortable and confidence inspiring on all kinds of roads, including gravel that isn't too soft. I don't baby it at all, and after all of these miles it still handles rough roads better than a bike on 28c tires should. Over the last 2 years I've added a front rack, bag, and dyno light so things are headed in a rando direction.

There were 2 details I considered but didn't choose when I got this bike: I didn't choose discs (the technology was too immature in 2006) and I didn't choose titanium. 13+ years later I'm considering both, and larger tires, but I honestly don't need a better bike than what I have.

If your list was my list I'd add Hampsten and Jitensha Studio (Ebisu bicycles). Neither are within an 8-hour drive of you, however.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:29 AM

Winter Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I would like to find a builder within a 6 to 8 hour drive from me. That way me and wifey could do a long weekend trip. Chapman is in that time frame and I love RI. Winters is close but no response from him in 3 weeks after a few emails. Same with a few from eastern NY. Quite a few on the list from the midwest and I always wanted to visit the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. So many options.
Winter is on the move out of PA; from his website:

"Winter Bicycles, custom bicycles by Eric Estlund, is on hiatus while relocating from Pennsylvania to Colorado."
Old 01-09-2020, 11:35 AM

If you like your Desalvo I would recommend getting a titanium bike for your rando bike. Years ago, I had a IF Ti club racer for a rando bike and it was fabulous. I feel that the beautiful rando bikes made by Chapman etc can be a bit heavy and hard to maintain. Having a titanium bike (unpainted) is light and weather resistant which means a lot of 200K, 300k ... 1200K rides.

Both Firefly and Seven make rando bikes. I think one of those with a steel fork would be super rad.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:38 AM

I have a similar back story as you and just had a low trail, front load, fendered, disc & dyno hubbed rando type frameset custom made after a few years of trying these characteristics out as best I could before going custom ($).

I highly recommend doing your homework and due diligence by trying or buying a used low trail/rando/load carrying/whatever you haven't tried before rig before committing to a custom. Elephant NFE, Endpoint Hunter Gatherer and many others are out there for relatively minimal $$. Many people love low trail, front loads, extra-low BBs, big tires, etc. and many just can't get used to some of these features. Best to know where you fall before spending big money.

The builders already mentioned are all excellent recommendation.

Last edited by donevwil; 01-09-2020 at 11:41 AM.