Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2020, 12:23 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
It's blatantly obvious by looking at the photos and videos in the article. Did you even read it?
No, it's not. At best, you're looking at this on a computer screen at a low resolution. Probably a tablet or laptop, which have pretty lame screens, no matter how Apple or Dell tries to convince you otherwise. Or, worse yet, a smartphone screen. I'm looking at them on a professional Eizo 24 inch monitor, pretty much the best you can buy, and, no, you really can't tell the difference. Or, better yet, I withhold judgement until I print it out on My Epson P800 at a fairly large size, which is at least 8.5x11. That's when you notice how deficient smartphone images are, compared to a good camera with good glass. Which is OK. I read recently that something like a trillion pictures are taken every week (?) worldwide, and 99% of them never make it to paper. We live in a new world of photography where Instagram is our new Life magazine, and that's cool, I have a hundred or so images there. It's fun, and many more people see those images than my prints. And, like I said, in maybe five years, the phone will surpass even a cheaper mirrorless camera quality (the sub 1000 dollar range). The achilles heel is the lens quality and crappy software that screws up the image before it gets to a proper post production world. But, hey, it sure is convenient and fun, and, let's face it, the present and definitely the future of photography. If you don't really care too much about quality beyond a computer screen. But, print is dead, anyway.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 01-06-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:41 PM

I've got the RX100 M4 which they reviewed here and am consistently impressed with how well it stands up against my full frame DSLR setup, never-mind my smartphone camera.

It seems to me that the posted review is biased towards smartphones, which that site represents vs something more objective like DXOMARK.

I believe the strength of this camera is not specifically its point and shoot from the hip ability but the control given to the user in such a small package.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
But, print is dead, anyway.
Hmmmm... i see a lot of large print happening but sure.. it´s a tiny market compared to personal pics of everybody and how it´s viewed.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:47 PM
slower than you

I meant magazines, newspapers, and even large books. Nobody goes to galleries.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I meant magazines, newspapers, and even large books. Nobody goes to galleries.
Or museums or art fairs or buy photo books but... some do.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I just signed up for Instagram and looked at your photos. Maybe I just don't know how to use Instagram, but the photos are small and blurry when blown up.

How about taking some same photos with your camera and iPhone, and posting to this forum?
So instagram compresses photos considerably so if it you blow them up they are grainy. But just looking at them in the normal format of Instagram I see much more richness in my camera photos vs phone photos. Everyone has their on vibe. I know I have a heighten visual senses so maybe I see thing sees differently than you. And these depths of tone are more impactful to me.

I agree that in article you cite the phone pics are better. I cannot imagine a smartphone saying anything else.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Or, better yet, I withhold judgement until I print it out on My Epson P800 at a fairly large size, which is at least 8.5x11.
8.5x11 is tiny on a P800! Crank out some 17x25's!
Old 01-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Here are two photos than yesterday by me and a friend. I am using the RX1r2 my friend is using I believe the iphone 11 pro.

You can see the pro needs a lot of processing to make it pop because it cannot pick up details like the fog going into the ocean. Where my photo subtle details are picked up. I think this is the big difference between camera phones and camera compacted enough for carrying when cycling. Mind you my camera is about the best camera for its size.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:58 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
8.5x11 is tiny on a P800! Crank out some 17x25's!
Oh, plenty. But, never from the phone. Although small looks good from the phone. Nothing wrong with small for the right image.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:09 PM
slower than you

or, you put the roll paper attachment on, and you can print something like this, if 16.5 inches high, almost 5 feet wide.

Edit. Man, the colors look awful. That's what I mean. You have no control how things look on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laFocepano.jpg (72.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Here are two photos than yesterday by me and a friend. I am using the RX1r2 my friend is using I believe the iphone 11 pro.

You can see the pro needs a lot of processing to make it pop because it cannot pick up details like the fog going into the ocean. Where my photo subtle details are picked up. I think this is the big difference between camera phones and camera compacted enough for carrying when cycling. Mind you my camera is about the best camera for its size.

Both photos look great. I'm assuming your's is the first one and is less fuzzy in the distance. However, the foreground is totally black whereas there's detail in the second photo where there should be less light because the sun has set. That's what I'm seeing, to be honest.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Both photos look great. I'm assuming your's is the first one and is less fuzzy in the distance. However, the foreground is totally black whereas there's detail in the second photo where there should be less light because the sun has set. That's what I'm seeing, to be honest.
Ok, sounds like a camera phone will fit your needs.

Sun is rising, I’m on the West Coast. The oranger photo was post processed to show the colors.

Last edited by joosttx; 01-06-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
or, you put the roll paper attachment on, and you can print something like this, if 16.5 inches high, almost 5 feet wide.
Yes! I'm sure the original looks pretty good.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
If you need accuracy shoot fast and catch a moment then a cell phone is terrible.
Zoom too, just sayin...
Old 01-06-2020, 06:33 PM

It´s interesting that while the rationale says buy cell phones instead of cameras Fuji´s huge success is largely based on the retro design of their cameras; it´s made to feel like a 70s canonet. Photo cameras are so much fun to play with... why take it away and hold a cell phone instead? It´s not only about the quality of the image.. it´s also about ergonomics and the experience of shooting w/ cameras. Don´t forget to get one w/ a nice viewfinder.