Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Winner, winner, chicken dinner indeed — Velomine is the US seller I’m considering

Edit: I had thought that the group was complete but given the comment above from jamesdak I clearly need to double check. Thanks
They also sell via eBay with "make an offer" option but it's best to call them directly to get better deal.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:11 PM

I ended up buying one of these groups and I'm installing it now. Velomine's service was pretty good. Glad I did it! The group looks fantastic in the flesh.

Not pleased with the manuals Campagnolo supplied though. There's barely any information about doing the installations, and the video tutorial doesn't make up for it atmo.

Also managed to put a kink into my derailleur cable. Anyone seen spares online? Le sigh :/
Old 01-12-2020, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn_user View Post
I ended up buying one of these groups and I'm installing it now. Velomine's service was pretty good. Glad I did it! The group looks fantastic in the flesh.

Not pleased with the manuals Campagnolo supplied though. There's barely any information about doing the installations, and the video tutorial doesn't make up for it atmo.

Also managed to put a kink into my derailleur cable. Anyone seen spares online? Le sigh :/
Jagwire 1.1mm, slick stainless with 'proper' end is easy to find at a decent LBS....not made by Italian elves or anything...
Old 01-12-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Jagwire 1.1mm, slick stainless with 'proper' end is easy to find at a decent LBS....not made by Italian elves or anything...
Old 01-12-2020, 08:27 AM

The new Teflon impregnated maximum smoothness cables from Campy solved the cable friction problem that I was having with my Colnago C- RS.

Campy lists a 10 pack of the new cables, with a 360mm length of housing for each cable, but I couldn't find anyone selling them.

I notice that Meriln's sale didn't last very long.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The new Teflon impregnated maximum smoothness cables from Campy solved the cable friction problem that I was having with my Colnago C- RS.

Campy lists a 10 pack of the new cables, with a 360mm length of housing for each cable, but I couldn't find anyone selling them.

I notice that Meriln's sale didn't last very long.
14 inches per cable(36cm) of housing..that doesn't sound long enough....
Old 01-12-2020, 04:21 PM

360mm is only enough for a RD loop.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Thanks, that might be the answer. Once I can fit a rear wheel (the Campagnolo hub axles will not fit the drop outs).... Lol, bike building always throws up unexpected issues
Old 06-22-2020, 01:51 PM

Best option for buying Campy 12 SR group?

Reviving this thread as I'm gearing up to buy a new SR group.

After some research, it seems I have 3 general options for purchasing a new Campy SR 12 group online:

1) US-based retailer: best price found Competitive Cyclist: $2,502+tax
2) Euro-based retailer whole group single purchase: best price found LordGun: $1,854 (may invoke import duty headaches)
3) Euro-based retailer purchase parts in multiple orders of less than $800 each: best total price found (combo of LordGun + PBK): $2,054

So the question is what option makes the most sense? Buying from a US-based shop means a $500+ premium but is it worth it to avoid downstream hassles? Buying from Lord Gun is super tempting at $1854 but what duty headaches are likely to hit me after the fact? Buying in multiple orders of less than $800ea to avoid duties sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM

Duties are not a certainty but neither is support from ex US retailers. CC will have your back while who knows with ex US. I’ve had good and bad experiences w/ ex US. PBK sucks, imho and Merlin has been better but my guess is you can find folks who have had the opposite experience so it’s a dice roll. Do you feel lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2020, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post

After some research, it seems I have 3 general options for purchasing a new Campy SR 12 group online:

2) Euro-based retailer whole group single purchase: best price found LordGun: $1,854 (may invoke import duty headaches)
3) Euro-based retailer purchase parts in multiple orders of less than $800 each: best total price found (combo of LordGun + PBK): $2,054

So the question is what option makes the most sense? Buying from a US-based shop means a $500+ premium but is it worth it to avoid downstream hassles? Buying from Lord Gun is super tempting at $1854 but what duty headaches are likely to hit me after the fact? Buying in multiple orders of less than $800ea to avoid duties sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Thoughts?
not knowing what you actually are buying specifically, velomine in the US has always been good on prices and is showing about 2k for a rim mech SR group...

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4856
Old 06-22-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?
Not knowing what you are buying specifically, Glory Cycles has an SR groupset for $2265

https://glorycycles.com/groupsets/?_...ecord+12+Speed
Old 06-22-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
not knowing what you actually are buying specifically, velomine in the US has always been good on prices and is showing about 2k for a rim mech SR group...

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Not knowing what you are buying specifically, Glory Cycles has an SR groupset for $2265

https://glorycycles.com/groupsets/?_...ecord+12+Speed
Sorry guys, I should have been more specific:
Super Record 12S
crankset (172.5, 50/34)
shifters/levers (mech)
dual pivot rim brakes
front der (mech)
rear der (mech)
cassette (11-32)
chain
bb cups (BSA)

Glory does have good pricing, dunno how I missed then in my search. Do you recommend them?
Old 06-22-2020, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry guys, I should have been more specific:
Super Record 12S
crankset (172.5, 50/34)
shifters/levers (mech)
dual pivot rim brakes
front der (mech)
rear der (mech)
cassette (11-32)
chain
bb cups (BSA)

Glory does have good pricing, dunno how I missed then in my search. Do you recommend them?
i dont know about glory, but i highly recommend velomine.

if you have any questions, give them a call, they are really nice and super helpful, and may be able to get you what you need even if it is not necessarily on their site.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i dont know about glory, but i highly recommend velomine.

if you have any questions, give them a call, they are really nice and super helpful, and may be able to get you what you need even if it is not necessarily on their site.
Thanks Angry! I'll def check in with them. I need to keep costs down as much as possible but I also want to work with a shop that will actually support me if needed. This may be the last new group I ever buy so saving a few $$ isn't the most important feature.