Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
From what I see the 8 pcs. group is $925. That includes the cass. and BB.
I would go with VM for the small price difference.

Add to Cart
Model: Chorus 12 Mechanical 8 Piece
Shipping Weight: 7.0lbs
1 Units in Stock
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...8c454u87qdh5t4
Ah, didn't see that last night. That is comparible and would make me think about it and most likely go that way. That is if you need 12 speeds. I honestly turn just as fast times on my 8 speed setups as I do my 11 speeds. Not sure what's to be gained with yet another gear for my riding ability. At what point does durability and reliability suffer for the tighter and tighter tolerances?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Ah, didn't see that last night. That is comparible and would make me think about it and most likely go that way. That is if you need 12 speeds. I honestly turn just as fast times on my 8 speed setups as I do my 11 speeds. Not sure what's to be gained with yet another gear for my riding ability. At what point does durability and reliability suffer for the tighter and tighter tolerances?
Wider range of gears without as big of a jump and improved ergonomics, otherwise, totally agree.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 AM

I'd go with velomine since the price difference isn't that great and shipping should be more reliable. The 8 piece group is $925.

Some people may not benefit much from 12 speed if the terrain they ride doesn't include steep climbs. I got it because I really needed the 48/32 and 11-34. No regrets. It all works great. The new cables solved the cable friction problem I was having with my Colnago C-RS.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'd go with velomine since the price difference isn't that great and shipping should be more reliable. The 8 piece group is $925.

Some people may not benefit much from 12 speed if the terrain they ride doesn't include steep climbs. I got it because I really needed the 48/32 and 11-34. No regrets. It all works great. The new cables solved the cable friction problem I was having with my Colnago C-RS.

Most of my shopping from Europe is either Merlin or PBK. Merlin will have the product in my house from 3-5 days. PBK is normally weeks. Just sharing that. Merlin is normally faster than Velomine, Jenson's etc unless I pay for expediated shipping. I don't know how Merlin does it.

In this case though I'd go with Velomine too. The price is close enough and Ben has earned my support with his past actions when the difference isn't too great.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:24 AM

+1 for Velomine. Great company, great service and prices.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Velomine or PinkJersey.
I bought my Record 12 groupset from them. They were super fast, excellent communication, good prices and in the U.S.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:41 AM

If the product in question was purchased domestically thru a shop or whatever, we take care of them and develop a new customer. They pay shipping, etc. In this situation, some places can really hassle customers and I don't get it

If the product in question is obviously sourced overseas or from an online, cut rate place - I think it gets sticky for a retailer. On the one hand you have the opportunity to show that customer everything that Jeff Bezos is incapable of providing a customer. On the other, you just encourage the consumer's behavior...and even add a little value. They can go cut rate and still have some support when needed when they encounter some trouble

Tough call, and bike margins (other than service) are thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campag NA 'talk' to consumers all the time but yes, a 'shop' gets the RA number and such. I can only speak to mine, my shop..If a guy brought in a Campag something(or shimano or even sram), even if he didn't buy it at my shop, yes, I would deal with it..called 'customer service'..Yes, he may not have been a customer of mine, but pretty sure he would be one in the future if you take care of them. PARTICULARLY when they may have bought that 'thing' from another local shop and they DO 'shrug'...Did a LOT of early gen sram lever warranties when the shop where he bought the bike said they had to send the whole bike back for warranty..I just sent the lever in..

BUT, I dealt with a lot of people who bought say, a set of Campag wheels from 'UK MO place', have a problem(broken spokes??)..and I facilitate the RA, call, shipping(their $), etc...
Old 12-11-2019, 11:19 AM
#RYFB

I remain confused about what Velomine is actually selling. The SKU is "8 piece", the picture below is named something like "6 piece" but does not show the cassette or BB cups…I probably should have emailed or called them for clarification but I just went with Merlin. Oh well.

Regarding 12 speed -- I don't care at all about the extra gear, I want the 48/32 and 11-32.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chorus_6_pc1.jpg (97.8 KB, 290 views)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:29 AM

The website clearly states that the 8 piece group includes the cassette and BB cups. You just have to tell them what you want for crank length and chainrings, plus the sprockets and cups. You must have to do that part at checkout, since there are no options, when the group is added to your cart.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...d5l283037o1ni4
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Administrator

just to add: i've bought a bunch of gear from velomine over the years, including a really nice carbon frame several years ago.

their website leaves a bit to be desired, but have always found that calling them is really easy and they are really helpful over the phone.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I remain confused about what Velomine is actually selling. The SKU is "8 piece", the picture below is named something like "6 piece" but does not show the cassette or BB cups…I probably should have emailed or called them for clarification but I just went with Merlin. Oh well.

Regarding 12 speed -- I don't care at all about the extra gear, I want the 48/32 and 11-32.
That´s one good looking group there.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Chorus 12 with 48-32 and 11-34 would indeed solve all my wife's gearing challenges I've been battling for over a year running C10. < $1k is surprisingly affordable. I'm staying C10, but this may be the perfect birthday present for her (or is that like buying her a bowling ball or carpet shampooer?).
Old 12-11-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Chorus 12 with 48-32 and 11-34 would indeed solve all my wife's gearing challenges I've been battling for over a year running C10. < $1k is surprisingly affordable. I'm staying C10, but this may be the perfect birthday present for her (or is that like buying her a bowling ball or carpet shampooer?).
Only if the gruppo you buy her has your own name engraved on it...
Old 12-11-2019, 09:37 PM

For such a small difference in price, i would give Ben my business. Fast shipping and great to deal with for any request. He's my campy go to guy.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Only if the gruppo you buy her has your own name engraved on it...
... and I know people who do that. Nice seed planting robertbb. Great idea!

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk