Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 AM

I’ve used Rouvy and liked it better than Zwift. It was glitchy last Winter and didn’t always start-up correctly on my iPad so I turned it off for the summer in favor of Zwift. I’ll be turning it back on over the Winter months to see what they’ve added/improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 10:43 AM

I use Zwift mostly but am doing the two week free trial of fulgaz...why not as no card needed...it's actually pretty good and different...worth a look anyhow if you are interested...uses the filmed rides etc and works pretty much like zwift via your smart trainer...nice alternative actually to the gamey world of zwift...I am digging it so far and they seem to have a good selection of rides...did the tour of flanders route this morn...different than zwift...

Last edited by cash05458; 10-24-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:39 PM

There's CVRCade (lol)

And Onelap if you use a translator

RoadGrandTours

And the thing the Mick Rogers was part of, can't remember the name. Virtugo?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Still searching for Zwift alternative. Looking at Kinomap, Rouvy, and BigringVR. Any user information would be appreciated. Not concerned about the social aspect just want realistic gradients and good UI.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:11 PM

+1 for FulGaz!! Been having a lot of Zwift issues lately. Going to try a Zwift-free Feb, and just use FulGaz...
Old 01-13-2020, 07:28 AM

Just a plug for Veloreality. The software is free, you purchase videos and they're reasonable. 4k if your computer can run it, hd if not. I use a projector and the experience is really immersive. All of the great Europe stuff, and some Utah/Colorado and California, along with some other misc. stuff. Really like it.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:43 AM

I used Zwift for a few years and switched to Rouvy this year. I feel like the resistance applied on climbs is realistic or maybe even a little harder than in reality but the cool thing is you can dial the reality level down in settings to decrease the resistance as needed. The only glitch I’ve noticed is descending big climbs where there are switchbacks or a need to slow down. On the trainer you don’t need to do this but obviously the person who shot the video did so there’s a tendency to have a pause in the video. Your virtual distance and speed are not impacted and the video eventually catches up. It pissed me off when it first happened but once I discovered that my distance and speed were/are still running I relaxed and just kept pedaling.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk23 View Post
Okay, so anyone else using Rouvy. I have got to get away from Zwift. Every time I ride I end up irritated. I can't seem to make myself ride slow on Zwift, feel the constant need to chase someone down or keep up with a faster rider. Also irritated with the Zwift heroes that can average 400+ watts for an hour on Zwift and can't break 16mph in real life. I enjoy the virtual riding just not sure how good Rouvy has gotten, mixed reviews online, looking for real user opinions.
If your only issue with Zwift is the other riders, you can disconnect your internet connection after you start your ride. Everyone will disappear and you have the place to yourself. Just reconnect before you close if you want the data saved.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
If your only issue with Zwift is the other riders, you can disconnect your internet connection after you start your ride. Everyone will disappear and you have the place to yourself. Just reconnect before you close if you want the data saved.

Interesting...did not know that!
Old 01-13-2020, 04:17 PM

There is a free one in beta...grand road tour I think its called... or maybe road grand tour? one of those anyhow...kinda a crappy version of Zwift but they must be pretty small people wise...worth checking out as it's free etc...
Old 01-13-2020, 04:49 PM

I have now started using xertonline. It does two really cool things: 1 - it takes your event power data from rides and computes an FTP for you (so no tests ever again unless you enjoy them!). It also provides very clever workouts which will get you to a given objective (say a race in three months time) based on where you suggest you want to end up. It also has “smart” workouts that actually adjust duration based on the power you are putting out. Did I mention it computes your FTP? Love it. It also has a “remote player” capability allowing you to run workouts from your phone while viewing stats on other screens.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 PM

I just tried the free version of RoadGrandTour and it’s okay. Not super crowded so I like that fact. I mainly use a TrainerRoad and watch something on Netflix or a Prime.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I have now started using xertonline. It does two really cool things: 1 - it takes your event power data from rides and computes an FTP for you (so no tests ever again unless you enjoy them!). It also provides very clever workouts which will get you to a given objective (say a race in three months time) based on where you suggest you want to end up. It also has “smart” workouts that actually adjust duration based on the power you are putting out. Did I mention it computes your FTP? Love it. It also has a “remote player” capability allowing you to run workouts from your phone while viewing stats on other screens.

I have been using them for 2-3 years. It works great if you only cycle. I started running and it has my training load all messed up. But it keeps good track of your ftp. If you have a garmin cycling computer they have some neat data fields.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You and me both, bud. Exactly how I feel.

I go with TrainerRoad while watching some good Netflix shows.
+1

Tried most online training platforms and have gotten most fitness gains from TrainerRoad. You are on your own for entertainment, but aside from that weakness it's solid.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:24 PM

Does it have to be one or the other? I use TR for interval work and compliment w/FulGaz. Combo keeps me mentally fresh and keeps me quite fit over the winter months