Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 06:12 PM

I just replaced my iPhone X with the iPhone 11 Pro Max. The improvement from the X is night and day. One of the reasons I upgraded is that I was at a dinner party and someone took a photo with their Samsung whatever, and it was waaaay better than same photos people took with the iPhone X. Not sure if the 11 Pro Max is as good as that Samsung, but it's pretty damn close.

Phone cameras have come a long way, and in my experience, have made taking photos pretty idiot-proof. Low light adjustment/performance is very good, especially with the 11 Pro Max and whatever Samsung that was. As a few people said a couple of pages ago, phone cameras have decimated the cheap digital camera market.

I have the first and second generation Sony RX100s, and the Cannon S95 and S100. I sold a Fuji x100 to a photographer friend. These cameras take great photos, still better than the iPhone, but I rarely use them because of the convenience factor. Why carry a camera and a phone? I would note that, when I do take the RX100 with me, the main reason is so that I can shoot in aperture-priority mode—I rarely use the auto setting.

When I want to take really good photos, I use a Nikon D750. A DSLR body with a full-frame sensor used to cost as much as a car, and now the bodies are as cheap as premium compact cameras.

Maybe I'll do a test tomorrow to see how the different cameras compare...
Old 01-11-2020, 06:30 PM

It's getting weird around here.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:46 PM

Anybody has thoughts on the Canon EOS R ??

I was thinking of buying one with the new 24-105 f4 L with the RF mount.
It seems like a good travel camera.

I mostly use a 1DX, with L lenses, but it’s a little large for travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The settings were on "intelligent automatic," the default automatic setting which the manual says is the best all around setting. It does have other scenery settings, which may or may not improve things. It's a point and shoot camera, which is how I used it.

The best setting is raw and you chose what to do on photoshop when converting to jpg. Automatic has too much contrast.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:08 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post

I'd love to get one myself. That or 5D mk4. I like the idea of rear screen touch to focus option.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Computational photography.
Here's one example of the current drawbacks to computational photography:

I'm not trying to pick on Angry here, but the computer inside the phone is trying to duplicate the look of a large-aperture lens, sometimes called subject isolation, where the subject is in focus and the background is not. (For an excellent example of this done well through optics on a large sensor, refer back to James Dak's bird photo upthread).

Here, though, the processor in the phone isn't doing a great job picking out what should be in focus and what shouldn't, so we can see areas that should be blurry but aren't -- underneath the saddle, to the right of water bottle on the seat tube, between and near the top of the fork, etc. We can also see things that should be in focus but aren't -- the end of the handlebars, for example.

Near the stem, we can see an area in focus between the stem and the rear brake cable, but immediately to the left of the brake cable, we've got blur.

Like I said, this is a current example. Computational photography will get better.

But I'm also using computational photography on files from my Sony a7r2: I shoot bracketed images and then use highlights from one image and shadows from another to get massive tonal range. Here's an example:

Or I'm taking multiple images focused at different distances, so that I can have rocks in the foreground in focus at the same time as mountains in the background, without having to resort to stopping down to f/22 (with the commensurate loss in quality due to diffraction):

So, yeah, computational photography is a thing. There are still fundamental limitations to the small sensors in camera phones, though.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 01-12-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post

When it comes to full frame mirrorless, Canon and Nikon are still considerably behind Sony (not surprisingly, since they are literally 2-3 generations behind in development). The A7iii is, to me, the camera to beat in that class, and by all accounts the A7iv will be released in the next couple of months. I can understand the desire to stay in the Canon ecosystem and continue to use your Canon glass, but there are a few great options in Canon-to-Sony adapters that work very well.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Last edited by Tony Edwards; 01-13-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:05 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

I don't own a cell phone...

I have a few cameras, a couple of tripods, a photo studio... None of that makes me an expert on the subject.

I was on a few photography forums, but like bike forums I don't get the arguments. The camera equipment I use is what I think I will need to create the next image I want to make. The image is the end result, if you're posting images to make a point about the equipment, you've missed the point of photography.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Here's one example of the current drawbacks to computational photography:

I'm not trying to pick on Angry here,.
haha, no offense taken. i am definitely not a good photo taker, and did laugh myself when i saw what my iPhone did to this image!
Old 01-13-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
What computer monitor would you guys recommended? I currently have a 1080p 24" monitor and it's not adequate for viewing and editing photos. I'm thinking a 4K monitor, but not an expensive professional grade one.
I have an older version of this monitor. It was pretty good out of the box without the need of calibration as it is factory calibrated:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PA329Q-3...0084FNAB4?th=1

The 24" sRGB version should good enough for everyday use. If you want to splurge get the 32" Adobe RGB version.

Here is a link for other choices:

https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-...-photo-editing