Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 05:29 PM

OT: How are you storing/organizing your old paper photos?

My beginning of the year project is to deal with 2 large plastic bins of old family photos from the 1980s to 1990s. I have sorted out and pitched about 75% of these photos. Before I go further, I like to get this forum’s collective wisdom on this project.
All of my digital photos are on iCloud. There are some old family black and white family photos that I would like to keep for the family. Would love to know what our forum members are doing to keep yesterday’s treasures for the future.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:27 PM

I would digitize everything you want to keep. The paper and chemicals aren't going to last forever.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:30 PM

Buy a scanner, some beer, and block off an afternoon.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 PM

If you do not want to buy a (good) scanner, any good graphics house, etc will scan the images for you, on a much higher quality machine.

If there are any of the paper originals that are really worth still keeping, then even though it wouldn't reverse any contamination from 1980 or so to today, good archival envelopes and boxes are pretty inexpensive from companies such as Light Impressions, etc. for future storage.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:58 PM
DELETE ACCNT

This is a solid recommendation.
Also, if storing digitally, there is the risk of inevitable hard drive failure or cloud storage issues.

I store old photos in photo albums, and print photo books off digital images. Otherwise, it never gets looked at.
Hard drive just becomes a virtual shoebox where images get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
If you do not want to buy a (good) scanner, any good graphics house, etc will scan the images for you, on a much higher quality machine.

If there are any of the paper originals that are really worth still keeping, then even though it wouldn't reverse any contamination from 1980 or so to today, good archival envelopes and boxes are pretty inexpensive from companies such as Light Impressions, etc. for future storage.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
The local graphics house is definitely worth the cost (especially if one has to buy a new (cheap = lousy; good = $$$) scanner) just to do the job at home any decent justice.

Quote:
Also, if storing digitally, there is the risk of inevitable hard drive failure or cloud storage issues.
Very true. That aspect and danger cannot be over-stated.
iCloud, Dropbox, etc are OK as a 3rd resource, preceded by hard drive #1 and external back-up hard drive #2. I would never trust iCloud, Dropbox, etc, as primary storage.

Quote:
I store old photos in photo albums, and print photo books off digital images. Otherwise, it never gets looked at.
Another excellent suggestion. The book solution is really a good one, and makes the overall tedious archiving job more creative, fun, personal in creating the subjects/topics and then designing/organizing them.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 AM

Quote:

Opposite experience here. Photo books rarely get looked at, so we scanned and put all of our favorite photos on digital frames in a few rooms. Nothing better than a frame that randomizes a few thousand photos in the background while you're making dinner. Passive entertainment
Old 01-13-2020, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
Opposite experience here. Photo books rarely get looked at, so we scanned and put all of our favorite photos on digital frames in a few rooms. Nothing better than a frame that randomizes a few thousand photos in the background while you're making dinner. Passive entertainment
i second this.

digital frames set to random shuffle are pretty nifty, especially when you have a wide range/variety of photos.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneywatch View Post
My beginning of the year project is to deal with 2 large plastic bins of old family photos from the 1980s to 1990s. I have sorted out and pitched about 75% of these photos. Before I go further, I like to get this forum’s collective wisdom on this project.
All of my digital photos are on iCloud. There are some old family black and white family photos that I would like to keep for the family. Would love to know what our forum members are doing to keep yesterday’s treasures for the future.
Altho I understand the digital/cloud/hard drive type 'storage' advantages..nothing quite as neat as adding the pix to below and sitting with loved ones around, to leaf thru 'hard copies' of old pictures..

For Christmas this year I gave wife and daughter-in-law photo albums, loaded with 100 or so 'family' photos..they both cried...
Quote:
Quote:
Hard drive just becomes a virtual shoebox where images get lost
AGREE

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-13-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:56 AM

OT: How are you storing/organizing your old paper photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I would digitize everything you want to keep. The paper and chemicals aren't going to last forever.

Better use optical disk. Magnetic media has the shortest lifespan.

I've got boxes of photos and slides in a closet that I haven't looked at in 30 years. This is something I need to do, but just never got around to it.

Last edited by MikeD; 01-13-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Better use optical disk. Magnetic media has the shortest lifespan.
as someone in the IT field, it's not quite that simple. there's a large range of variability in material quality, manufacturers, and how the media is stored (temp, humidity, direct sunlight exposure, etc.)

if you really want to save something long-term, use multiple media, multiple copies, don't store them all in one place.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:40 PM

Photoscanner - Epson V550 at minimum. I was able to get one off Craigslist for like $50
Old 01-14-2020, 09:42 AM

I appreciate and read these suggestions with great interest. Can anyone provide more specifics about secure image generation, storage, and sharing?

I am apprehensive about the choices having seen so much technology become obsolete and the various conditions of web-based storage and access.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Buy a scanner, some beer, and block off an afternoon.
Better yet find a friend who has a scanner, buy two cases of beer (one for them one for you) and block off an afternoon

Does your city have a tool lending library? They might have a nice scanner to check out.

Ps. If you happen to find the negatives in the boxes of prints you can do this easier
Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Go figure, unrelated to this thread, I was about to order one of these
https://www.irisusainc.com/extra-lar...p-xlpho-violet
and empty out the photo albums sitting in a box.

After retirement, my dad scanned our dozens of slide carrousels. Definitely did not take an afternoon, probably more like weeks/months. 80-100 slides per x at least 50 wheels... and slides are so finicky. The old paper ones, you want to clean them before scanning etc.

Regarding obsolescence, the easiest thing is copying my photo folder to every large hard drive when I replace it. As others said, the cloud + local copies. Yes, free cloud services come and go, but I think google & amazon are here to stay. Both have free accounts depending if you have accounts with them. Amazon is free unlimited storage at original size. I haven't actually done it yet, but one of these days...