Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
That is just wrong. He asked for people to buy stuff.... he did not ask for donations.
For every anti carbon rant there is a dozen ideas Grant came up w/ and are mainstream now: gravel bikes, fatter road tires, 650B wheels not to mention selling Nitto, Brooks and custom steel when very few people were onto it. He was into MUSA way before everyone who jokes about him and now collect custom made steel bikes.
I was wrong to say donation, when he really just asked people to buy gift certificates. I also agree that Grant has come up with a ton of things, including many of the things you mentioned, but also things like raising the stem.

But I don't think custom steel is solely his idea. Remember, even if you buy a "custom" Rivendell, it still has to meet his requirements and he will not accept just any geometry, tubing or even paint job. Further, custom steel framesets have been around forever and builders like Richard Sachs, Sasha White/Vanilla and many others have been able to build up their following by offering true custom framesets.

Bottom line, if you like the direction Grant/Rivendell is going with their frame offerings, then that's the way to go. If not, there are tons of builders, including those who build with carbon, who can provide you with a ride that is amazing. It is a good time to be a rider with so many choices!

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!