Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM

OT: Bada** Watches (Suunto Ambit vs. Garmin Fenix......or?)

In the market for an all around outdoor watch. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM

Casio pathfinder.

Solar and atomic models avaliable. At least if it isn't mechanical consider having something that wont need battery's for an outdoor watch.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

http://www.shopping.com/polar-electr...bike/info?sb=1

And it's at a good price, too. I paid $261.00 for mine.

Mike in AR

Last edited by regularguy412; 04-29-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 AM

I just got an ambit...it is fantastic...I use it for trail runs not riding

DCrainmaker has a really in-depth side by side review

I've had a couple of suunto watches and garmin...the suuntos seem better from a fit and finish perspective

Also the gps on the ambit picks up very quickly

Last edited by crownjewelwl; 04-30-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 AM

I've been watching the evolution of these watches for a while with the ambit being at the top of the list right now.

However, I always end up sticking with my casio riseman for outdoor activities. It's very lightweight, solar and atomic, and lots of easy to use great features.

I feel like there are still too many compromises for my needs with the GPS models. One, I can't have it dying on me, and two, if I'm going GPS I want maps and navigation.

The oregon and edge are my choice still.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsays View Post
In the market for an all around outdoor watch. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
i'm a certified watch nut, but i think this question is far too broad. what do you need the watch to do?

if you only need the watch to tell time, and maybe run a stopwatch for running, then it comes right down to aesthetics: what do you want the watch to look like?

i've lost track of how many sports watches i've had over the years. these days, i wear my submariner 99% of the time. if i'm on the bike, i no longer wear a watch, just rely on my garmin computer. if i'm running, i take the tried and true timex ironman - still one of the best running watches of all time.

my view is that if you want gps or other specialty functions, it's no longer a watch. something you need to charge every 24 hours, IMO: is not a watch. it's a specialty computer, not really suitable for everyday use. not a bad thing certainly, but really not a "watch" either.

i guess my advice is to ask yourself really what you want in a watch, and get it!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 AM

I wear a Rolex, or an Omega! Maybe sometimes a Audemars Piguet, or a Vacheron Constantin.

No computers on my arm!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I wear a Rolex, or an Omega! Maybe sometimes a Audemars Piguet, or a Vacheron Constantin.

No computers on my arm!
Ever try trail running with a Rolex? I have. A sea dweller. It doesnt work unless you wear it very tight or just hold it in your hand.

The bezel is great for timing, though, and almost as accurate as my Casio.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm a certified watch nut, but i think this question is far too broad. what do you need the watch to do?

if you only need the watch to tell time, and maybe run a stopwatch for running, then it comes right down to aesthetics: what do you want the watch to look like?

i've lost track of how many sports watches i've had over the years. these days, i wear my submariner 99% of the time. if i'm on the bike, i no longer wear a watch, just rely on my garmin computer. if i'm running, i take the tried and true timex ironman - still one of the best running watches of all time.

my view is that if you want gps or other specialty functions, it's no longer a watch. something you need to charge every 24 hours, IMO: is not a watch. it's a specialty computer, not really suitable for everyday use. not a bad thing certainly, but really not a "watch" either.

i guess my advice is to ask yourself really what you want in a watch, and get it!
I'm not sure I could have said it much better and I operate largely the same with the exception that my daily wear watch is a Sunnto Core. But I don't actually wear it daily because it causes issue with my work.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
I just got an ambit...it is fantastic...I use it for tea runs not riding

DCrainmaker has a really in-depth side by side review

I've had a couple of suunto watches and garmin...the suuntos seem better from a fit and finish perspective

Also the gps on the ambit picks up very quickly
How is the supporting software/mapping? That seems to be where Suunto is short on technology vs. Garmin Fenix.

Thank you all for the help!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

My apologies here - wrote this post last night after a long day and should have explained more. I agree that if you have to charge the device it's not a "watch" but I am looking for something that I can wear across many activities. I tend not to ride as much as I used to...more variety of ride/hike/run etc. so I'd like the features of my bike computer to be more universal, which led me to look at watches. Look, feel matters to me (I prefer the Suunto), but the GPS features of the Garmin Fenix seem to be superior, and thus why I ended up asking the mighty forum for their thoughts.

Would you surpass the Suunto for the Garmin GPS capabilities or is the Ambit "good enough" in this area.

Key Features:
GPS/maps
HR
Altimeter/Barometer/Compass
Sunrise/Sunset
Good supporting software
Battery life (although I'm generally not in the woods long enough for this to be a deal breaker).

Thank you again!

FYI - have my daily go to watch that I still love (Cartier Ronde, black, gold, simple, love it).

Last edited by samsays; 04-30-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsays View Post
How is the supporting software/mapping? That seems to be where Suunto is short on technology vs. Garmin Fenix.

Thank you all for the help!
i haven't really used it, but they just pushed out an update...i'm gonna tool around with it this weekend...

but i pretty much run the same trail...i just wanted speed, elevation, time

also, the software update on the watch itself makes it ANT+ compatible now
Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
i haven't really used it, but they just pushed out an update...i'm gonna tool around with it this weekend...

but i pretty much run the same trail...i just wanted speed, elevation, time

also, the software update on the watch itself makes it ANT+ compatible now
do you think you could actually navigate with it if needed?

I'm mostly referring to being on an unfamiliar trail system and knowing which trails to take with minimal effort. I don't need full blown color mapping but a reasonably accurate display with no question about which way to go would be nice.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post

No computers on my arm!
There is only one 'watch' and that is a Rolex.

As for 'GPS', I prefer the 2 dimensional ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg italy-map.jpg (113.1 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-30-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There is only one 'watch' and that is a Rolex.
The lucky owners of Patek Philippes may beg to differ but they probably have a Rolex too.