Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe
For SRAM to get the same reputation as DA and Campy, you need those folks from the 70s, who bought one group with their savings over 5 years, took loving care of it (because it was their only one), and rode it through slick and sleet into the late 90s or 2000s. The legends of Campy and Shimano were made from stories like those above, when a guy brings a bike to a mechanic, with a steel frame that has already disintegrated, but the group is still shifting nicely.
Totally understood, but I've had plenty of problems with Campy breaking/malfunctioning as well. Broken crank arms, brake lever that was produced with a barb that caused brake cable to snap from premature wear, exploding jockey wheels, etc. Granted, they lasted a VERY long time

Just trying to provide a counterpoint, but totally understanding why everyone feels the way they do.

Carbon certainly doesn't make it through crashes with the same panache, I'll readily admit that.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Sram. My town bike/loaner has an original 9.0 rear derailleur and 8 speed twist shifters from the late 90's. Its survived years of harsh abuse on and off road in Colorado and Utah. The current pulleys look like Chinese throwing stars but the rear derailleur refuses to die and still works perfectly. The shifters from the 9.0, Plasma, Attack days are one of the best cycling products ever made. Simple, reliable, easy to maintain and rebuild...bombproof. It's fashionable for roadies to bash the new guys but Sram has been around for longer than many of its detractors realize.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs
Once a year for all those years. Never felt like it needed it, but my coach was and old school guy who insisted I replaced all the bearings every season. As all the wheels went to 130mm spacing and bottom brackets all became sealed I changed the bearings simply because I had them - I probably still have a dozen sets of Campy 1/4" caged bearings in those little holders...

As for Campy Nuovo/Suprer record shifting badly forever, I don't remember any of the good racers ever complaining about shifting performance. It wasn't something that ever came up. What mattered back then was what the rider had, once the bike was in a gear the shifters didn't matter. I never thought there was any advantage to brifters until I got beaten in a sprint by a guy who shifted to a larger gear in the sprint. If that hadn't pissed me off so much I would probably still using Nuovo Record. Really, not much has changed, the people who complain about shifting performance do so to take the focus off the lacking engine.
So true!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77
The Rolling Stones are a pretty durable group, although their anodization has clearly worn off.

That's just patina!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM

I rode a mixed Campy group for 15 years with zero problem, zero replacement outside of pads, chains. And it's still going strong for someone else which makes almost 20 years of going strong. My Record group had almost 5 years of use with zero adjustments required, just brake pads. Switched to 11-speed so now it will be on my son's second bike and no doubt with the same reliability.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temeyone View Post
Why no votes for SRAM stuff? Is it the fact that they're relatively new, or are there other issues I'm unaware of? Seriously wondering...I've used Force for the last 4 years and had very few issues. Campy is the obvious choice, but what are peoples' thoughts on the upstarts?
I've only been riding for 5-6 years, so take that as you will, but I personally know at least 5 people who have had Sram shifters break on them during normal use - some of them have had it happen to more than one. Add to that the fact that my girlfriend's Sram RD literally exploded in a burst of metal last week while CX training and that I have never heard of any friends' Campy or Shimano components spontaneously breaking, and I'd say Sram has a pretty well deserved reputation for poor quality amongst my social circles.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by br995 View Post
I've only been riding for 5-6 years, so take that as you will, but I personally know at least 5 people who have had Sram shifters break on them during normal use - some of them have had it happen to more than one. Add to that the fact that my girlfriend's Sram RD literally exploded in a burst of metal last week while CX training and that I have never heard of any friends' Campy or Shimano components spontaneously breaking, and I'd say Sram has a pretty well deserved reputation for poor quality amongst my social circles.
I'd love to see sram's warranty records..just warrantied my 27 or 28th lever(red).
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM

I know most of you mentioned road groups, but I have some shimano acera/altus 7 speed on my oldest bike, a Performance M300 mtb that I bought myself while I was in grade school.
I've never changed the cables, never changed the chain, never changed the cassette or rings, never adjusted the ders., and its been 11 years.
Still shifts crisp and accurately every time.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
The Rolling Stones are a pretty durable group, although their anodization has clearly worn off.

Here I was going to tell my little story about SRAM Red Vs DA, it is all good for both but this over rides all comments

both of their faces look like the canyons of Solvang and Boulder

Have a nice day
SN# HC-54-265
Old 03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Two wheels good

I don't think that anything is tougher on a bike than racing. There really isn't much time to light-shift in a crit or worry about whether it is raining in the middle of a road race. That said, I found the Dura Ace 7700 group crazy reliable. I put many thousands of hard miles on it with just chain and cable replacements.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I don't think that anything is tougher on a bike than racing. There really isn't much time to light-shift in a crit or worry about whether it is raining in the middle of a road race. That said, I found the Dura Ace 7700 group crazy reliable. I put many thousands of hard miles on it with just chain and cable replacements.
Everyone in my circles swears by DA-7700. I'd guess that something with downtubes or barcons really takes the cake though...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Longevity - Campy Nuovo Record, used and abused since 1974.

Worst Groupo - 1992 Shimano Ultegra 8 speed (except for headset)

Durable and well performing - Dura Ace 7700, Campy Chorus and Record 10 speed.

Well performing - Dura Ace 7900 (can't attest to durability, yet; only have 3000 miles on it)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Campy alloy 10 Speed, circa '99-'06. Never a single issue, IME, '04-current. Just goes and goes.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
VAV

group

Complete Suntour Edge with DT shifters. On my 1989 Trek 1K. Used, abused, poor maintenance, no maintenance. Charity rides, triathlons, kids trailer hauler in current roll and keeps on going.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

Most Durable Group?

anything my kids do not touch, or knock over
anything i have not crashed on
anything properly cleaned and adjusted
most things Italian
anything someone else has not adjusted

well, here goes....durace 7700, chorus 9spd ergo

Last edited by AgilisMerlin; 03-28-2012 at 05:44 PM.