Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 PM
In Velo Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien
Well... if we're gonna nitpick...in the long run I've seen way more Shimano shifters bite the dust, so I would say Campy 8 speed ergo.

As for modern groups, nobody has that many miles on them yet! Maybe a few years max.
+1 on the 8 speed. I've had to do some minor upkeep (rebuild shifters, rear-hub), but the stuff just keeps going and going and going. That being said, I wouldn't mind a 10-speed group, just for the option of bigger cogs on climbs.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO
Not to be facetious, but 2 x 5 speed Campy with DT shifters will beat them all.
5x1 with a bar end shifter.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw
5x1 with a bar end shifter.
Clearly the cable is the weak link in your setup. Who's gonna play trump with a 4x1 with lever shift?

After that, we go to a 2x2 no RD setup, say 44-39 up front and 14-19 in the rear and a small stick to move the chain without touching it with your fingers.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusaurelius
I would say the 2001-2002 campagnolo chorus was very well made. It contains no carbon and relies on metal and bearings.
I have this. Over 30 thou on the bb(square taper) two shifter springs, 1 indexer, chainrings, rinse and repeat. Will out live me. Guess what new group Im buying
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates
Clearly the cable is the weak link in your setup. Who's gonna play trump with a 4x1 with lever shift?

After that, we go to a 2x2 no RD setup, say 44-39 up front and 14-19 in the rear and a small stick to move the chain without touching it with your fingers.
42x17 fixed. Or walking.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates
Do/did you change the ball bearings in the BB?
Once a year for all those years. Never felt like it needed it, but my coach was and old school guy who insisted I replaced all the bearings every season. As all the wheels went to 130mm spacing and bottom brackets all became sealed I changed the bearings simply because I had them - I probably still have a dozen sets of Campy 1/4" caged bearings in those little holders...

As for Campy Nuovo/Suprer record shifting badly forever, I don't remember any of the good racers ever complaining about shifting performance. It wash;t something that ever came up. What mattered back then was what the rider had, once the bike was in a gear the shifters didn't matter. I never thought there was any advantage to brifters until I got beaten in a sprint by a guy who shifted to a larger gear in the sprint. If that hadn't pissed me of so much I would probably still using Nuovo Record. Really, not much has changed, the people who complain about shifting performance do so to take the focus off the lacking engine.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM

1) Shimano 6400 series TriColor 600/Ultegra, either the 7 speed or 8 speed versions with DT shifting
2) Shimano 105 1050 series 6 or 7 speed, either the UG or HG version, again with DT's.

Both shift super-smooth and last practically forever. Seen and worked on an amazing number of incredibly abused bikes with those two groups. The stuff may look like it's been dragged through a gravel pit behind a pickup truck but it still shifts nicely and runs well.

Just imagine how long it would last if properly cared for!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs
Once a year for all those years. Never felt like it needed it, but my coach was and old school guy who insisted I replaced all the bearings every season. As all the wheels went to 130mm spacing and bottom brackets all became sealed I changed the bearings simply because I had them - I probably still have a dozen sets of Campy 1/4" caged bearings in those little holders...

As for Campy Nuovo/Suprer record shifting badly forever, I don't remember any of the good racers ever complaining about shifting performance. It wash;t something that ever came up. What mattered back then was what the rider had, once the bike was in a gear the shifters didn't matter. I never thought there was any advantage to brifters until I got beaten in a sprint by a guy who shifted to a larger gear in the sprint. If that hadn't pissed me of so much I would probably still using Nuovo Record. Really, not much has changed, the people who complain about shifting performance do so to take the focus off the lacking engine.

Agree, especially after decent freewheels like DA/shimano 600. A little planning ahead, cycling finesse and shifting skill and it works just fine, thanks.

I have always said that lever mounted shifting was essential for MTB(bouncing around), beginners and racers(only cuz they all got it).

My C-Record, friction, 7s...works really well, can use any chain, any RD, FD, crank, etc. 20 years + old also.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck
If you were looking at a current group, do any jump out as winning in the durability department?
All are good enough.
Good Luck

Last edited by nm87710; 04-12-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 PM

The Rolling Stones are a pretty durable group, although their anodization has clearly worn off.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM

The operational definition of "Rode Hard and Put Away Wet" I think.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM

I've seen tons of beat-to-dust Campy 8-speed ergo drivetrains still kicking and shifting well. Always impressed by that. Why no votes for SRAM stuff? Is it the fact that they're relatively new, or are there other issues I'm unaware of? Seriously wondering...I've used Force for the last 4 years and had very few issues. Campy is the obvious choice, but what are peoples' thoughts on the upstarts?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by temeyone
I've seen tons of beat-to-dust Campy 8-speed ergo drivetrains still kicking and shifting well. Always impressed by that. Why no votes for SRAM stuff? Is it the fact that they're relatively new, or are there other issues I'm unaware of? Seriously wondering...I've used Force for the last 4 years and had very few issues. Campy is the obvious choice, but what are peoples' thoughts on the upstarts?
MY warranty list-sram

-about 2 dozen levers
-about 5 red rear ders
-3-4 BBs, PF BB30
-couple of chainrings
-one broken chain
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
For SRAM to get the same reputation as DA and Campy, you need those folks from the 70s, who bought one group with their savings over 5 years, took loving care of it (because it was their only one), and rode it through slick and sleet into the late 90s or 2000s. The legends of Campy and Shimano were made from stories like those above, when a guy brings a bike to a mechanic, with a steel frame that has already disintegrated, but the group is still shifting nicely. Needless to say, you are not going to get this kind of stories from the SRAM generation. There will be different stories (how light! how efficient! how electronic! when is the newest Red-Black-with-Turquoise-accents coming out?!) hence an entirely different kind of reputation.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Why no votes for SRAM stuff? Is it the fact that they're relatively new, or are there other issues I'm unaware of? Seriously wondering...I've used Force for the last 4 years and had very few issues.
Because it's the fashionable thing to hate on sram on this board. I have sram (force/red) on a couple bikes. I've never had any issues with any of it. Including gear that has been repeatedly crashed / bent / etc. Less problems than I have ever had with any of the 10s shimano stuff (ultegra/DA). Like anything, YMMV.