Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 05:28 PM

Acoustic guitars. A couple 1930s Martins and a bunch of boutiquey handbuilt guitars by TJ Thompson, Kim Walker, Stefan Sobell, Bruce Sexauer, Blazer & Henkes, Mark Blanchard, et al. Also some more modern Martins.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:32 PM

I have probably an unhealthy amount of New Era hats (mostly MLB). Like all of us you can become a geek about anything. I will only buy USA made hats now that they outsourced their production overseas. I’m not generally opposed to Chinese made goods but the quality difference is considerably noticeable so due to this recent outsourcing the pace in which I buy hats has sharply declined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2020, 05:33 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Closest I get to collecting anything is bottle openers.

KC tools suckered me into buying a set of torx wrenches on 4Jul with a free bottle opener deal

M
Old 09-21-2020, 05:50 PM

Would have to be vintage dress watches for me. Most I had at one point in time was 25 but have slowly been getting rid of them.

For me, I think it has to be the routine of winding my watch in the morning that makes it feel special. I also like knowing I’m wearing a piece of history, something that had a real meaning to someone. I’m actually wearing a piece right now that was gifted to a gentleman with his initials and the date engraved on the case back: Dec 17, 1964. Still ticking along ...
Old 09-21-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Vintage post cards of my small (pop ~3,000) home town in the Finger Lakes and nearby areas. Most are from the years 1900-1920 when these seemed to be quite popular to send to family, friends and lovers. The old photos of familiar roads and scenes are fascinating and I love the short and often cryptic messages and I admire the often beautiful handwriting in fountain pen, even with terrible grammar and spelling. I even have a few that a few are signed with family names I recognize of descendants still living there- old man's nostalgia for a time I never knew.
I love local history. This seems really cool, I’d love to see some pics.
PS The Finger Lakes seem like an awesome riding destination. Not to mention wine sampling.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I might be interested in the records. I could definitely help you ID the stones/beatles/zep major label rock stuff and give you an idea of whats worth ebaying vs taking to a shop.

I dont really collect that kind of stuff--but I wouldnt mind helping you get a clue of whats worth something.

Now if your stepfather had small label rock/hippie stuff/jazz Ill holler
Stuff like hot tuna, pentangle. Lead belly.... ill pm you.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:23 PM

guess I collect experiences...like trying new things whenever possible.

just don't want to be burdened with having lots of a material 'something' (coins, LPs, books, stamps, art, etc etc) cluttering up the house...
Old 09-21-2020, 06:48 PM

Vinyl, Lambrettas and Vespas, BMW motorcycles, Mid Century Modern
Old 09-21-2020, 07:21 PM

Assorted tiki glasses and decorations. Also music. Stopped trying to count the CDs above 5k and they are now thankfully in storage. Have 22 feet of vinyl. Only reasonable way to measure it after a certain point. Haven't bought CDs in years, but still pick up a few inches of new vinyl a year.

The thing I didn't know I collected was tools. After reorganizing the tool boxes this weekend I have a full box for the house, a focused box for the bicycles, another set plus motorcycle tools in the garage, and another set of basically everything other than specialty tools. I somehow have a single set of SAE sockets and I assume I'll find another when I tackle the garage properly next week.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Would have to be vintage dress watches for me. Most I had at one point in time was 25 but have slowly been getting rid of them.

For me, I think it has to be the routine of winding my watch in the morning that makes it feel special. I also like knowing I’m wearing a piece of history, something that had a real meaning to someone. I’m actually wearing a piece right now that was gifted to a gentleman with his initials and the date engraved on the case back: Dec 17, 1964. Still ticking along ...

Used to also a bit, but find don't get any use - and I inherited (kind of by accident, nobody else wanted, a beautiful Illinois) I find clocks and their heart rate pulse very relaxing, add a ships bell on hour/half hour and all set.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:41 PM

Cats. 5 of them. Most would say that's crazy #'s. Can't disagree. Love em though.

Wine? It's a consumable (yes, I suppose we could eat the cats as well ), but # of bottles well exceed the cats and bikes.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Kites

I gave an extensive collection of both single line kites and sport kites that goes back 20 years.

Some are one of a kind or very limited runs. Many made by famous makers from around the world.

I recently decided to pare down and keep only this with real sentimental value.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
books
Books! Yes... Photo books. Old classic cameras. Denim jackets. I love collections.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:11 PM

Prescription meds and physical therapy stuff

Side effect collection, a closet full of stems and saddles
Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 PM

i am an enthusiast of bicycles and wristwatches and newsboy hats and do own more than a handful of each...but not what i'd say qualify as "collections"

Last edited by wallymann; 09-21-2020 at 08:28 PM.