Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 07:28 PM

3D scanner

Hi all,

I have a very simple part, basically encompassing 2 different thickness and a slightly complex outer perimeter shape that I would like to get a 3D scan of. This would be sent in to Shapeways to have a copy made.

With the vast diversity of machine shop and technological expertise available on PL, I figured that I would start here to see if there might be any leads available on where I should start with looking to get this part 3D scanned.

Thanks in advance-
Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 06:27 AM
Randomhead

if it's fairly simple, there are programs that will provide a model from images.

If it's super simple, I take a picture and copy using a 3d cad program. Unfortunately, their auto trace doesn't work all that well, but it's not difficult to do by hand on something that's not complex
Old 10-28-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
if it's fairly simple, there are programs that will provide a model from images.

If it's super simple, I take a picture and copy using a 3d cad program. Unfortunately, their auto trace doesn't work all that well, but it's not difficult to do by hand on something that's not complex

I have made scans and tracing of each of the two outer contours, but alas my CAD skills are nonexistent. I am trying to use solidworks, but the learning curve is steep. Is this something that you would consider doing for a fee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 08:52 AM

I've been eyeballing buying one of those XYZ printers for quite some time because they also include 3D scanning capabilities (and a laser engraver add-on too). Plus they also now have models that allow 3rd party filament.

https://www.amazon.com/Filament-Wire...E0A74YK8PZYXEM

I've held off on buying one because of several major home expenses this past year though. Maybe I can get one next year but we'll see...there's always something that needs to be replaced around the home it seems.

But maybe that's more than you want to spend.