Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2024, 08:05 PM

Vuelta a España discussion (spoilers)

Today, the white jersey was crashed by an idiot spectator.
I think when riders are crashed by spectator the commissaires should allow the car to motor pace the riders back to the field they were in before the crash.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:00 AM

I don't think that should be in the rules because that'll open up a can of worms, but I do think that this is one of the instances where they can look the other way, similar to other crashes and therefore allow more grace when judging who should be penalized or not.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacyclist View Post
I don't think that should be in the rules because that'll open up a can of worms, but I do think that this is one of the instances where they can look the other way, similar to other crashes and therefore allow more grace when judging who should be penalized or not.
I'm sure 'looking the other way when you feel like it' is gonna keep that can of worms nice and closed.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
I'm sure 'looking the other way when you feel like it' is gonna keep that can of worms nice and closed.
Not great but this is already happening so....
Old 08-19-2024, 10:58 AM

How about that final 10km today? Did they want to see how many roundabouts, turns and chicanes it was possible to fit into 6mi?
Old 08-19-2024, 11:11 AM

For a second, thought I was watching a race in the US, with them going on the highway. Ah, things that make the Vuelta special.
Old 08-19-2024, 01:48 PM

Sepp's chances...

Is it looking not good for Sepp already having lost one teammate (van Baarle) and WvA not totally focused on helping him?

van Baarle's low speed crash and hip fracture brought back bad memories for me where I literally tilted over on a low speed turn and cracked my hip. Hope he has a fast recovery.
Old 08-19-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspam View Post
Is it looking not good for Sepp already having lost one teammate (van Baarle) and WvA not totally focused on helping him?

van Baarle's low speed crash and hip fracture brought back bad memories for me where I literally tilted over on a low speed turn and cracked my hip. Hope he has a fast recovery.
Based on the betting odds, he's fallen from about a 15% chance of victory pre-race to 11% chance of victory now. I suspect that's based more on his time trial rather than his team support.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspam View Post

I dunno, he won last year while having to race against one of his teammates, so I think 'not having the team fully committed' shouldn't be too much of an issue
Old 08-19-2024, 02:05 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Is WvA not really focused on helping him? There are like 3 or 4 people in the peloton who can hunt for stage wins AND prioritize his team leaders needs, WvA is one of them. However, I don't really think Sepp has a chance at winning and WvA can go after any flat or lumpy stage he wants.

Kuss won last year because the two fastest guys DIDN'T really race and it was clear he was gifted the win. Historically, he's never been able to hang with the top-tier grand tour riders.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
I dunno, he won last year while having to race against one of his teammates, so I think 'not having the team fully committed' shouldn't be too much of an issue
I love Sepp, but if Roglic and JV had kept racing, he would not have won.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I love Sepp, but if Roglic and JV had kept racing, he would not have won.

Sepp has zero chance of winning ... there is no such thing as GC Kuss
Old 08-19-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Is WvA not really focused on helping him? There are like 3 or 4 people in the peloton who can hunt for stage wins AND prioritize his team leaders needs, WvA is one of them. However, I don't really think Sepp has a chance at winning and WvA can go after any flat or lumpy stage he wants.

Kuss won last year because the two fastest guys DIDN'T really race and it was clear he was gifted the win. Historically, he's never been able to hang with the top-tier grand tour riders.
If you watched the Netflix show, it shows that WvA also didn't want to help Jonas at the Tour that year (forgot which year).

Last edited by novacyclist; 08-19-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:41 PM

It may be to Visma's disadvantage if they don't have WvA as a fully committed domestique, but I also get his perspective. He's one of the best riders in the world, there is more to cycling than GC placings, and I think if you bring him to a GT, you need to target some stages and maybe the points jersey. Or not, and then he'll go be one of the best riders in the world for some other team. On the whole, it's still good for Visma that he's in their jersey.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Kuss won last year because the two fastest guys DIDN'T really race and it was clear he was gifted the win.
I agree with this. But you omit the fact that he was far and away the third strongest in the race. Part of racing is not attacking a teammate wearing the leader's jersey. It's like swinging on a 3-0 pitch when up by 10 runs.

Quote:
Historically, he's never been able to hang with the top-tier grand tour riders.
Historically, he's been the ideal mountain domestique- frequently the one to make the ultimate selection, dropping plenty of gc hopefuls, and also able to tow a leader back when necessary.

Until last year he had never used the tactics of someone looking to win a grand tour. Now he will.

My money, however, is on Adam Yates.