Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which winter tights
Bib tights (no chamois) + regular Bib Shorts 29 40.28%
Heavy winter bibs 30 41.67%
Other combo (bib short, non-bib tights) 11 15.28%
HTFU I just wear shorts all season, bruh. 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2019, 06:06 PM

Assos habu have a very nice temp range, wear them into the low 50s comfortably or can pair them with some warmers for into the 20s.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Oh yeah I should mention...let’s keep the budget ~<$150. thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I run warm too, so usually end up in knickers till it's below 45 or so.

After that, I still run knickers under tights. I'll swap between weights of regular tights (no chamois) and bib tights (no chamois) depending on the weather.

For example: today it was 40-43 during my ride. Thin lycra bib knickers under thin lycra tights, thin wool socks and toe warmers for bottoms. A Castelli Perfetto light SS jersey, a mesh base layer, and a thin Craft base layer on top. I was about half a layer under dressed because the sun never came out.

M
Old 12-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
Oh yeah I should mention...let’s keep the budget ~<$150. thanks guys.
Buy once. Cry once.

I've got some mid-level shorts and knickers and much prefer the nice stuff.

M
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Why doesn't the poll have bib tights with chamois as a choice? I have two pairs of those - one old pair (>10 years old) from Santini with WindTex fronts and a more recent pair of high end Nalini (Team Nalini black label?). The former are wearing like iron and are decent, while the latter are really top notch comfort wise. I like the idea of having a pair without chamois to wear over regular shorts, but for some reason the ones with chamois were there when I was in the market.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Why doesn't the poll have bib tights with chamois as a choice? I have two pairs of those - one old pair (>10 years old) from Santini with WindTex fronts and a more recent pair of high end Nalini (Team Nalini black label?). The former are wearing like iron and are decent, while the latter are really top notch comfort wise. I like the idea of having a pair without chamois to wear over regular shorts, but for some reason the ones with chamois were there when I was in the market.
This. Habu are awesome, pricey, and discontinued. Have an older pair of Capo with a windtex front that are for low 30's, but my go to for mid 30s thru 50's are Castelli Sorpasso. The logos are fragile but the tights aren't, and they have a nice mix of materials making them really versatile.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 AM

When really cold, I used regular, not bib, shorts under heavyweight bib tights with wind blocker front and no chamois. I also have some bib tights with chamois for between temps. I ride bib knickers with knee warmers/braces from 50-60 degrees. It's really my head that I have to worry more about--whether to cover just my ears, a skull cap that covers the ears, or a full balaclava. Full finger gloves sometimes with liners, sometimes just heavier gloves. Oh, I live in SW Florida, so don't have the opportunity to do this much anymore, but I did live and ride in colder climates during my life, so I still have the gear. I also keep a pair of larger shoes that I can wear thicker socks.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Gonna go with option 2 for now: heavier winter tights with some windblock, which should cover me for the extreme end of things and as cold as I'd want to ride in (before wussing out and riding Zwift ).

Next if I find myself doing lots of cold weather riding, I'll add some more "nice to haves" kit - ie Rapha Core Winter tights, and/or Rapha Classic Thermal Bibs + warmers or similar. Both look great and honestly being here in NYC will probably get much more use than a dedicated deep winter piece, that's really only needed for a month or two.

Thx for the help.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 AM

I'm very happy with my Morvelo Stormshield Bib Tights.

Based on my experience with the Vertex jacket, I'll bet the Pactimo tights are really good too, but I haven't actually tried them.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Take your pick of bibs or non-bib tights, but NO CHAMOIS. I've never met a pair of bib tights with chamois that fit just right, plus it's an expensive niche garment for me. I'm more of a multi-sport athlete in winter. I spend at least as much time on XC skis and running as I do on a bike in winter, so I try to choose garments that are as versatile as possible. That means all my thermal gear is non-padded and I just wear an old pair of summer bibs underneath for cycling.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:59 AM

Being unwilling to spend big $ on winter gear, I use tights from LuluLemon and put them over my bibs, call it a day.
I'll wear skinny running pants over them or jorts, depending on my mood
Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 PM

I have a couple pair of Santini winter bibs. They are awesome from about 15F to 35F and way more comfortable than wearing leg warmers and regular bibs
Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
there is a shift towards thermal bib shorts plus knee/leg warmers instead of 3/4
My n=1 says the opposite. I have an amazing pair of Endura bib knicks that had wind/waterproof sections on the front that are no longer in their product line. Before that (and still in rotation occasionally was a similar version from Cannondale, albeit a bit beefier).

Decided to try thermal bibs and knee warmers, and after two seasons am going back to bib knicks for "cooler" conditions (WI cooler, not AZ SouCal, FL cooler). So I just picked up a pair of Vermarcs and pair of Patimo 3/4 bib knicks to add to the wardrobe so I'm not always washing clothes. Will still run the 4 pair of thermal bibs with knee warmers where it's likely temps will rise, or when I feel like a little thicker fabric is warranted. Regular or summer weight bibs now start at 70F for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I run warm too, so usually end up in knickers till it's below 45 or so.

After that, I still run knickers under tights. I'll swap between weights of regular tights (no chamois) and bib tights (no chamois) depending on the weather.M
This. With 65-year old knees with no cartilage I have to take care to keep my knees warm. Bibs under tights really don't do that; knicks under tights do and they subjectively feel better too.

When going for full leg coverings always some form of bibbed bottom (short or 3/4) with chamois under bib tights without pad.

No issues for me with two sets of straps either.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:53 PM

I really like the Pearl Izumi amfib tights. Having the wind block, I’ll wear them all winter in temps down to the teens with no problems. I’ve been thinking about trying some pants this winter while out on the fat bike also.

I’m trying to find something similar to the amfibs in a knicker that has wind block in the front. I haven’t had much luck.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:03 AM

Hey folks -- sorry, been crazy busy and I've been away from the thread.

Rapha had (apparently) discontinued the 3/4, but when I was in the clubhouse recently one of the employees told me they had relaunched classics 3/4. I picked up a set and on one of our clubhouse rides I'd say at least 3 other riders (I'm a ride leader locally) were very interested in them. Link:

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/c...uct/BSL02XXBLK

Note: they are a little shorter than others coming in just below the knee (see below) and for me, very warm. They need to be pulled into position, but once in-place they're all-day great. I went XL because the length of the large was too short, and waist-wise I'm right on the line between L and XL. I'd be fine with these at pretty much anything above freezing, but I grew up playing ball hockey outside at -10, so...

And I do love the Cafe du Cycliste product. Longer than the Rapha product above (these for me fall mid-calf), and lighter. The fleece lining is less thick, and the bottom colored panels below the knee are unlined. For me, extremely comfortable in the 40-60 degree range. I wear a large.

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us...enne-navy.html

For reference: I'm 6'3, 215.