Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 07:18 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

everyone needs to start somewhere, and this could be the right move for a younger person who doesnt mind 5 room mates, lives with their parents or is in a relationship with someone who they share finances, who is also gainfully employed. a household income of 80k or so should be workable in the city, not living large, but workable, i would think - especially without a car or other expenses like student loans.

good for compass. they are trying.
no argument there (good for Compass) and when I first saw the post I thought that salary wasn't bad from a generic perspective and entry level for the bike business is pretty good. But, unless its live with the parent type scenario, factor in rent of about at least $800 a month, not including utilities, for a room in a shared house, so about $1000 a month for housing. Food is expensive. The state tax scheme is extremely regressive with 9.8 percent sales tax. yada, yada.

I've paid entry level staff 45-48K, with health care covered over the past two years and they are barely making it, commuting 1.5 hours by bus or train, and won't stay around long at those salaries. $55-58K is around what I need to pay for an entry level college grade who is a solid worker. That's why I'm moving our operations.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
A qualified bike shop mechanic with a college degree is doing something wrong.
Good bike shops are loaded with educated and often overly educated people. But maybe you know that...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

A qualified bike mechanic with a college degree could be someone who chose their passion over maximum income.

Unfortunately they usually means they are barely making ends meet

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
A qualified bike mechanic with a college degree could be someone who chose their passion over maximum income.

Unfortunately they usually means they are barely making ends meet

BK
Tell me about it.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 PM

If that job was available next year I’d take it—assuming the 50% coin flip between Seattle and Santa Rosa lands on seattle
Old 01-17-2019, 08:35 PM

PSA: Compass Cycles in Seattle has an open position for a bike mechanic

I’d apply except I have cyclists arms and can’t lift 50lbs. It’s always something.
[edit]: not really, my arms are fat too. But I still can’t lift 50lbs.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:59 PM

https://www.renehersecycles.com/job-...-herse-cycles/

Quote:
We’ve got a job opening at Rene Herse Cycles. Are you dreaming of working on beautiful bikes, assembling dazzling cranks and brakes, and chatting about amazing rides all day long? The reality is not quite as glamorous, but we’ve got a good team, good compensation and benefits, plus the potential for long-term, stable employment.

As Operations Assistant, you’d run our warehouse, keep track of inventory, assemble the aforementioned cranks and brakes and ship them to our customers, plus update our web site and Bicycle Quarterly subscriber database. It’s a great job for somebody who enjoys doing many tasks and wearing many hats, yet wants stable employment (40 hours/week) with full benefits. Click here for a detailed job description: https://www.renehersecycles.com/jobs/.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I really liked the job description before and thought the timing sucked. Unfortunately Swedish didn’t offer my girlfriend an interview slot and if they did I would apply for this job.

As a college graduate who’s pretty financially savvy with no debt I could totally make it work on that income and enjoy doing all the tasks in the job description.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
A qualified bike shop mechanic with a college degree is doing something wrong.
I disagree.

This does not sound like a garden variety wrenching job. How many wrenching jobs advertise "good communication skills" and require writing, managing database, etc. The "assist with operations" seems broad enough that duties could expand into things that make use of particular talents and interests of the person. The fact that a college degree is required says something. We know Rene Heres does testing, product development-all kinds of things. And this is a small operation. One could gain additional resume-enhancing skills and experience in a job like this.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Sounds like good compensation but don’t they mostly sell components?

How much wrenching is really involved?

Interesting opportunity

BK
Quote:
1. Help customers select the right components and answer their questions via e-mail.
2. Ship retail and wholesale orders.
3. Assemble the components we sell and the bikes we use for testing them.
4. Assist with the operations of the company.
Sounds more like a salesman, both in person and online plus as assembler/packer. BUT, pretty good $, benefits, etc.

Not a problem but not sure how 'college degree' would add to the 'mix'...AND, don't think the guy is there, in the trenches, doing tubeups on bikes brought in...

I think $45k would work in Seattle......IF

-he lives with his parents OR
-is a DINK, with somebody who makes as much or more $..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-09-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:12 AM
Randomhead

it would work great for me, but wrong coast
Old 12-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post
9-2pm holy crap
My dream job, and not just the hours.

Perfect gig for a semi-retired tech-nerd cyclist needing a life change.

Instagram
Old 12-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Agreed on the salary – the figure is the starting salary, not what the employee will make in the long run. As a small company, we can't afford to pay somebody a lot, train them, and then have them leave, so we pay them according to their contribution. It's more the Japanese/European model of bringing somebody into the company, training them and having them grow with us - also salary-wise. Our very first employee, Clark, is still with us after 11 years...

The job itself is everything on the fulfillment side of things, so there is a lot of variety. Not wrenching all day, but shipping, organizing, keeping track, updating web site, managing BQ subscriber database - all the stuff customers never see, but that keeps things running smoothly.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Reborn in the Cascade Mountains
www.renehersecycles.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
no argument there (good for Compass) and when I first saw the post I thought that salary wasn't bad from a generic perspective and entry level for the bike business is pretty good. But,