Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 PM

saving money............commuting ?

Ok. Aside from obvious health and happiness beney's, how much $ can I actually save commuting?

Car is paid for so no payments and insurance is minimal. Based on a month's worth of commuting by car/bike I came up with following.

Commute: 50 miles roundtrip
Car: 35mpg / 21g tank
Fuel: Diesel which is around $2.70g
Insurance: $400 year

1 month of drivng would be 1000 miles month. At 35mpg that comes out to 28.5 gallons of diesel ($76.95 in diesel fuel)

Insurance spread across 12 mos would be $33 per month.

So I'm at $110 per month in just fuel and insurance. Maintenance on car so far this year has cost me $800 so spread that across 12 mos that adds $66, bringing total to $176 per month.

So if my math is correct that's $8.80 a day. Not to mention the Starbucks/CircleK coffee I normally get when driving as opposed to slamming water during commute.

Does my math sound right? Am I missing anything?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:53 PM

In terms of smiles per gallon, bikes always win
Old 03-21-2018, 03:53 PM
n - 1

A negative effect is time. Instead of a 15-20 minute commute, you're looking at 3 hours+ a day. Depending on the nature of your job, that's a net negative. Also cuts into your family, social, etc. time as well, although that's more into the intangible category.

If I were to do it, it would be for health and recreation reasons only. Monetary gains are insignificant, in my view.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM

Will you get rid of the car if you commute by bike? If not, doesn’t make sense to include the fixed costs (like insurance) and you should only factor in the variable costs (fuel, extra maintenance, etc).

Will you just ride what you have, or buy a commuter bike, lights, bags, locks, clothes, etc?

Any opportunity cost? Spend another hour commuting = less time spent at work leading to less income? Or will you work an hour longer to make up for it, thus spending less time with family? Not quantifiable in dollars, but worth considering.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM

dont forget the extra chimichangas you need to eat to fuel your commute !
Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM

Putting fewer miles on your car will make it last long too. That puts the replacement cost farther into the future providing some more possible savings.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM

My previous job gave me $70 per month for not using a parking space and the local community had a rewards program for ride sharing, walking and riding to work so I got a treat like a bag of fancy pasta every month or so.

My commute was pretty short and the ride took about 20 minutes, about 5 minutes longer than driving and parking.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:59 PM
Administrator

i doubt you will save any meaningful $. As mentioned, are you actually going to get rid of the car if you commute by bike?

you will eat more if you're burning a lot more calories. you will do more laundry with commuting every day. you will wear out more kit commuting every day. it's also the time thing. i just dont have the hours/day to commute. time is money, after all.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
In terms of smiles per gallon, bikes always win
FACT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
A negative effect is time. Instead of a 15-20 minute commute, you're looking at 3 hours+ a day. Depending on the nature of your job, that's a net negative. Also cuts into your family, social, etc. time as well, although that's more into the intangible category.

If I were to do it, it would be for health and recreation reasons only. Monetary gains are insignificant, in my view.
By car it normally takes me 35-40 minutes. Bike is around 70-80 minutes. Luckily I really don't have a set time I need to be in but I do need to pick kids up from daycare by 5:30 so I MUST leave office by 3:30. But I get what you're saying.

In all honesty I'm building a game plan to help soften the blow when I tell her I need....ahhh hem, 'want' a new bike.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
But if I drive home, then go out to train on the bike // compared to simply riding home with some spirited sections along the way ... it can come out about the same.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
Will you get rid of the car if you commute by bike? If not, doesn’t make sense to include the fixed costs (like insurance) and you should only factor in the variable costs (fuel, extra maintenance, etc).

Will you just ride what you have, or buy a commuter bike, lights, bags, locks, clothes, etc?

Any opportunity cost? Spend another hour commuting = less time spent at work leading to less income? Or will you work an hour longer to make up for it, thus spending less time with family? Not quantifiable in dollars, but worth considering.
Excellent point. I too thought about even listing insurance and the like because there is absolutely no way I'm getting rid of this car. My dad bought it new in '84 and I drove home from the dealership in it so it stays

As for bike. I'm currently using my Dave Scott Centurion that I got for $80 few years back. Perfect bike for commuting, trainer sessions, hauling kids around.....and getting asked "hey what are those things on the DT" from the newbies
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Ok. Aside from obvious health and happiness beney's, how much $ can I actually save commuting?

Car is paid for so no payments and insurance is minimal. Based on a month's worth of commuting by car/bike I came up with following.

Commute: 50 miles roundtrip
Car: 35mpg / 21g tank
Fuel: Diesel which is around $2.70g
Insurance: $400 year

1 month of drivng would be 1000 miles month. At 35mpg that comes out to 28.5 gallons of diesel ($76.95 in diesel fuel)

Insurance spread across 12 mos would be $33 per month.

So I'm at $110 per month in just fuel and insurance. Maintenance on car so far this year has cost me $800 so spread that across 12 mos that adds $66, bringing total to $176 per month.

So if my math is correct that's $8.80 a day. Not to mention the Starbucks/CircleK coffee I normally get when driving as opposed to slamming water during commute.

Does my math sound right? Am I missing anything?
I would add excise tax and registration too.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:09 PM

Typical mileage reimbursement rates is 53.5 cents per mile, per the IRS. That includes gas and maintenance. Call your insurance company and tell them you no longer use your vehicle to drive to work, and your insurance will drop-AFTER they fight you in disbelief. Been there.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
I would add excise tax and registration too.
But because I'm never selling car I'd have to pay for that anyway. But you're exactly right. Those are additional expenses to consider if i were going carless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Typical mileage reimbursement rates is 53.5 cents per mile, per the IRS. That includes gas and maintenance. Call your insurance company and tell them you no longer use your vehicle to drive to work, and your insurance will drop-AFTER they fight you in disbelief. Been there.
Hmmm.............good to know
Old 03-21-2018, 04:15 PM

One savings that you could benefit from is with your automobile insurance costs. I am with Progressive, they offer a discount based on driving habits*, miles driven/time of day... etc. When I did that programs, my costs dropped hundreds of $ because I was barely driving and not driving during times of day that the insurance industry deemed high risk (rush hour presumably).

*I've mentioned this before on this forum and got quite a lot of abuse about being a 'sheep' and allowing big brother to monitor me. It's a suggestion on a saving that might be available to you, no interest in hearing opinion on privacy intrusion.