Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 05:46 AM

A policeman with the balls to admit he was wrong. Bravo. Probably doesn't pull out his sidearm too easily either.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzer View Post
Flipping off is an Opposite Day sort of thing. Guy in an F350 buzzes you, smile and wave. Driver that totally misjudges the space to pass, flip off so they know they screwed up. I think most of the folks that put me in harms way don't understand the speed I'm traveling at and just make a mistake, they need to know they screwed up. The guys that actively try to make me uncomfortable want to get a rise out of me, I ain't playing.

Edit: and if you're the guy that slows down, rolls your window down and starts to yell at me to get off the road I'll just ignore you while slowly drifting behind your car and watching your tail lights.
This

add: if someone's yelling, A. their opinion is automatically ignored because they're stupid enough to yell out the window and B. I'll usually yell 'I love you too!' back at them while smiling and waving.

They WANT you to react negatively. Somehow it 'justifies' their actions.

...AND... why give them that kind of power over your emotions? Why let the morons ruin your day over their stupidity? I have to catch myself with this one on egregious passes too, but I try

M
Old 03-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
This

add: if someone's yelling, A. their opinion is automatically ignored because they're stupid enough to yell out the window and B. I'll usually yell 'I love you too!' back at them while smiling and waving.

They WANT you to react negatively. Somehow it 'justifies' their actions.

...AND... why give them that kind of power over your emotions? Why let the morons ruin your day over their stupidity? I have to catch myself with this one on egregious passes too, but I try

M
I started yelling back "I Love you" a few years ago and it's a great line to use. Some people are too confused to react, others get angry ... only to realize they're completely foolish.

Sometimes I still have more heated exchanges, sadly.

Although, last year descending back into my town about 25 mph (which is the speed limit) a guy in an F250 came up almost beside me and honked which scared the **** out of me. It wasn't a long, aggressive honk, per se, but I reacted pretty negatively with many colorful words and gestures. At the stop light (or as I call them, the great equalizer) I pulled the phone and snapped a photo of the plate, just as the driver realized I was there and got out ... amazingly, he was apologetic and wondered what happened to make me so angry. I shut off my anger and explained what he did was dangerous and it would be better just to give me room and pass or wait behind me until it was safer. I also noticed the Harley sticker on his window and asked how he would react if he was on his bike and someone did that. That brought the issue home and he apologized again, then said he never realized it and was giving me the honk to let me know he was there. We both admitted our mistakes, shook hands and moved along with out lives. It was a good result.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
Although, last year descending back into my town about 25 mph (which is the speed limit) a guy in an F250 came up almost beside me and honked which scared the **** out of me. It wasn't a long, aggressive honk, per se, but I reacted pretty negatively with many colorful words and gestures. At the stop light (or as I call them, the great equalizer) I pulled the phone and snapped a photo of the plate, just as the driver realized I was there and got out ... amazingly, he was apologetic and wondered what happened to make me so angry. I shut off my anger and explained what he did was dangerous and it would be better just to give me room and pass or wait behind me until it was safer. I also noticed the Harley sticker on his window and asked how he would react if he was on his bike and someone did that. That brought the issue home and he apologized again, then said he never realized it and was giving me the honk to let me know he was there. We both admitted our mistakes, shook hands and moved along with out lives. It was a good result.
I've never had one got that smoothly, usually I just get yelled at by townies who tell me I'm breaking the law somehow.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzer View Post
Flipping off is an Opposite Day sort of thing. Guy in an F350 buzzes you, smile and wave. Driver that totally misjudges the space to pass, flip off so they know they screwed up. I think most of the folks that put me in harms way don't understand the speed I'm traveling at and just make a mistake, they need to know they screwed up. The guys that actively try to make me uncomfortable want to get a rise out of me, I ain't playing.

Edit: and if you're the guy that slows down, rolls your window down and starts to yell at me to get off the road I'll just ignore you while slowly drifting behind your car and watching your tail lights.
I’ve learned my actions may not immediately effect me, but most certainly will effect other riders down the road.

If I flip off a driver, I just reinforced in that driver’s mind that all cyclists are jerks. Likelihood is he/she takes it out on the next cyclist down the road.

Countering bad behavior with more bad behavior only escalates until someone pays a pretty nasty price.... for no reason.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 AM

In the past some of the jurisdictions I have lived there was an odd contradiction in laws as it pertains to cyclists on the road. While it may have been legal for cyclists and groups to ride in the single or right hand lane it was also illegal to obstruct traffic.