Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 01:33 PM

Sounds like their expansion into boutique axes didn't work out. It's a cut-throat business.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM
dust bunny

"easiest way to make a little money in the bike industry is to start with a lot!"

I threw them some bucks but we'll see how long they stay afloat
Old 02-22-2018, 02:31 PM

Hell I tossed in $10 and i never do stuff like that. I've always enjoyed Grant's writing. I'll prolly apply the $10 to a new power meter.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM

Happy to help them.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:45 PM
Administrator

I'll kick in 10 bucks. Hey, you have to give him credit for taking responsibility. "It was my fault".

Not the internet, not lance armstrong, and not the boogie man.

I think Riv, velo orange, and Compass cycles etc are fighting the good fight and not letting some good classic options fade to complete oblivion, and I appreciate that. No; not every one of my bikes is going to have a leather saddle, but when I want a set of downtube shifters that easily friction shifts 9-sp- I know where I can find them; and that's a good thing.

I wish them luck
Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
hell i tossed in $10 and i never do stuff like that. I've always enjoyed grant's writing. I'll prolly apply the $10 to a new power meter.
lol
Old 02-22-2018, 04:05 PM

Thats a good cause for 10$ imo but apparently they wont accept paypal payments from accounts not registered in the USA, or so the error message read anyways.

If anyone wants to pay another 10 on my behalf id be happy to send 10 to you via pp. (Please dont do it before checking with me as ill likely end up with 20 nice gents from here wanting 10 from me in a couple of min :-) )
Old 02-23-2018, 03:02 AM

sorry to hear about this for Grant and Co.i guess they have been off my radar as of late but i re up'd to the email list and i'll buy a couple of credits too.
i too was really bummed when the Reader went away.still love my Bridgestones and Riv road,Ram and Bleriot and credit Grant for putting me on the path to steel bike love back in the late nineties

oh, and thanks Stien for making us aware of this!

Last edited by sw3759; 02-23-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 AM

Riv Bikes Email tonight

He lost me with his “eat bacon, don’t jog” drivel*, and I believe lost his way by courting bearded millennials instead of just working to grow his core customer base. But I’m saying that as an outsider, so it’s just a guess and is probably wrong.

* He could/should have said “eat your vegetables and ride your bike a lot” - or just stfu about diet and exercise because who needed him to go there anyway?

Last edited by Clean39T; 02-23-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
I know some of you must be on the Rivendell email list. They sent out an email tonight asking for “help”.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/hai...eid=8d27c90f16

I know I would be sad if they went under, they’re a cool company.
This is not the first time that Grant needed help is it? I know the three most importanrt things with any business is cash flow, cash flow and....cash flow but this smacks of poor management/accounting to me.

ahh-from pegoready-
Quote:
Torn on my feelings about this...
Every year or two Rivendell does the same thing. They send out a heartfelt email claiming cash flow woes, "buy something now," we treat our employees really well, etc. It gets old.
They even tried to scare up cash last year by selling $6000 credits for $5000, with the caveat to not use the credit right away because that would be beside the point.
My belief is if you want to support them, buy something, before it's gone forever. I'd buy a Roadini for $900. Why would you buy credits in a company that (by their own admission) is on the brink
Ahh, I guess he owned up to it.

Quote:
We’re struggling now, though. Not with design, sourcing, marketing, but with cash flow. That’s always been the monkey on our back, but now it’s more like King Kong.

Bad planning and over-optimism—both my fault—and some unfortunate timing that was out of our control, have created a threat we might not be able to ride out unless we chuck up a Hail Mary that works, so here it is.
If this was a first time, one time gig, maybe but seems to be a trend..maybe time for him to liquidate, move to a smarter location($), shrink and concentrate on 'core' items..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-23-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
move to a smarter location($)..
I thought I'd heard at one point that they were going to move to Silverton, OR so his staff could stand a chance at affording a house some day?

Silverton is an interesting choice, and certainly does offer the S24O opportunities - but it's also a looong way from Portland, food co-ops, good coffee, etc., which I'd think his staff would be after. Also, ain't like housing is cheap anywhere on the west coast. But at least in Silverton he could buy a couple acres and start a tiny-house village...underground...because, well, LOTR...

Also, I could actually see a Rivendell coffee and lifestyle store doing really well in SE Portland. Books, bikes, camping stuff, MUSA apparel, etc. People flock here for that stuff.

If only I had some of that Bay Area VC money to get it going...

Old 02-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Some how I doubt this is going to sustain the company. I don't have much knowledge of, or experience with the company. It sounds like this is not the first time poor business decisions have left the company in a bad situation. He seems to be getting a lot of support and positive comments as opposed to Ben Serotta when he made some poor business decisions.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
He lost me with his “eat bacon, don’t jog” drivel*, and I believe lost his way by courting bearded millennials instead of just working to grow his core customer base. But I’m saying that as an outsider, so it’s just a guess and is probably wrong.

* He could/should have said “eat your vegetables and ride your bike a lot” - or just stfu about diet and exercise because who needed him to go there anyway?
I fully agree with you. He should stick to bikes. Seriously, telling potential customers not to ride long distances, instead to use kettlebells or something? And to stay away from carbs like bread and fruit? These are some of the things that make life worth living for me.

Here's a sample of his writing on the subject:

Quote:
The bike industry and media glorify long, fast rides that, over 20 years or so, can lead to atrial fibrillation and increased risk of heart attacks. The “training zone,” where your heart rate is high but sustainable for a few hours, is also the “death zone.” It’s much healthier to keep a pace you could continue all day. Rely on burpees and weights for workouts instead.

Last edited by fiamme red; 02-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I thought I'd heard at one point that they were going to move to Silverton, OR so his staff could stand a chance at affording a house some day?

Silverton is an interesting choice, and certainly does offer the S24O opportunities - but it's also a looong way from Portland, food co-ops, good coffee, etc., which I'd think his staff would be after. Also, ain't like housing is cheap anywhere on the west coast. But at least in Silverton he could buy a couple acres and start a tiny-house village...underground...because, well, LOTR...

Also, I could actually see a Rivendell coffee and lifestyle store doing really well in SE Portland. Books, bikes, camping stuff, MUSA apparel, etc. People flock here for that stuff.

If only I had some of that Bay Area VC money to get it going...

Their former manager moved to Portland to start Rivelo which sells "Rivendell bikes, Bob Dylan records, American made bags and clothing, and cycling ephemera".

But you're totally right people would flock there. I'm sure the "bike tourism" that Portland receives is not insignificant. And the PNW region seems much more akin to the Riv lifestyle than what the Bay Area currently offers.

I wonder if disc brakes will be featured on future Riv frames...
Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 AM

Wow. Glad I saw this...Hoping the Hail Mary is to meet payroll. I have two friends working there. Would hate to see them lose their jobs.